Android

Question

How to detect author of an app

by jeanniegraham / March 2, 2012 3:31 AM PST

First, apologies - I did try to search...
I loaded an app, which was an encyclopedic overview of 16th Century art: it is called ART Vol 1. At the time I downloaded it (not understanding the phenomenal memory of my smart phone) I didn't download the C17th or C18th 'volumes'
I am trying to track these down - but despite phone searching, and marketandroid searches, I cannot find this app. Either - can anybody suggest how I can ask the phone who published this app, or (even better!) direct me to it? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to detect author of an app
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to detect author of an app
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 4:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Nothing at all dodgy!
by jeanniegraham / March 2, 2012 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Frankly?

No - this is a serious sort of 'art history buff' app, and if you could advise me as to how I can get into the 'menu about' feature it might solve my problem. I have tried the (bottom left 'menu' button on the Samsung) without success, also tried ES file manager, and tried (imo) everything within the app, but I cannot detect the author or anything. I agree with you that this could well be an 'author' problem - but it simply isn't possible that this is deliberate, much more likely it is simply lack of understanding by the app developer.

I'm peed off because searching for Art (even art history, paintings, seventeenth century etc etc) on the phone, or on marketandroid, there is sooo much cr@p, and you cannot refine the search, and had I coimprehended how miuch memory the phone had I'd have confidently loaded all four volumes from scratch! GRRR

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing at all dodgy!

But you covered the usual methods. I know that my apps always have the about page. Too painful to hear/read when the author does not bother.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay - but has anybody else got this app!
by jeanniegraham / March 2, 2012 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

I do understand what you're saying - and only too frequently the author is seriously too up-front pushing his other wares! Unfortunately the author of this one is hiding his light under the proverbial bushel.

But I'd just like to download the 'other centuries' of this (to me) useful app - so if anybody else is using it (the name is ART Vol *) and its welcome screen looks like a bookcase, and could direct me (even only with search terms whch may work) so I could locate it I'd be very grateful.

Collapse -
Unless you tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 12:09 AM PST

You told a little more in this reply but if you want forum members to go looking for you, you would reveal more. Such as the CENTURIES CLUE and the ARV Vol * should be completely typed out.

By keeping all the small clues to yourself, I'm more hampered than you.
Bob

Collapse -
Absolutely as much info as I have!
by jeanniegraham / March 3, 2012 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Unless you tell more.

Okay - the app which I have reveals itself only as "ART Vol1" (ART is in caps, and Vol is written as Vol, no space beween Vol and 1). Vol 1 covers sixteenth century painters, and I recall there were another three or four volumes covering C17th etc.
The painters covered in Vol 1 include Titian, Caravaggio, the Bellinis, Cranach the elder and many more. It is quite comprehensive., and very esy to use - you get a page of biography and about a dozen paintings per author which can be brought up full screen.
It is Version 1.4, and is 162MB in size.
It includers many references to other sources - always including Wikimedia commons.

Collapse -
Ahah - found it
by jeanniegraham / March 3, 2012 7:37 PM PST

I have finally tracked this down - it came from Samsung apps rather than android market, and it is by ADS Software Group Inc. I still can't find it on the phone, so it'll need downloading onto the PC and then fiddling about with the absurdly tiny microSD card - but anyway, (thanks to Google) I have finally got to it.

Collapse -
Thank you for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Ahah - found it

Those extra clues could have helped but thank you for not taking out your frustration on members. I'm pretty good on searches but this one was a stretch with so few clues. Even knowing it was on a Samsung device could help.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.