Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

How to design a website?

by KiranAkbar / May 15, 2012 8:18 PM PDT

I have a domain for past 6 years, long back somebody had designed and then it went kaput! After that i ve tried to design myself many times but have not been successful. I do not know how to use html for designing, what are the other ways to design? are there any softwares which can be easily followed? I also tried using a host and designing my pages through the host, but it was real hassle as designing was required while i have fast connection and at times all the efforts used to go wasted.
Would really appreciate if somebody could guide me from scratch.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to design a website?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to design a website?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Is it a blog?
by thesarayiahpost / May 15, 2012 8:32 PM PDT

If it is a blog then there are numerous blogging software available. One of the main ones is Wordpress, but I use Movable Type for mine, which is www.theSarayiahpost.com which is my views on Life, Love and Relationships to help others.

Movable Type in my opinion gives far more professional results, but is equally more complex and nowhere as well supported as Wordpress. If you have a look at my blog you will see what it looks like and if you need more help then you can get in contact.

Have a wonderful day.
Kind regards
Isaac Sarayiah

Collapse -
Re: design
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 15, 2012 8:44 PM PDT

Designing can be done on paper, or with graphic design tools. Even with MS Word or MS Powerpoint you can make a crude design of how your site should look.

Making it is a different story, and not easy, if you want to do it from scratch or with a tool like Joomla, Wordpress or MS Frontpage or Macromedia Dreamweaver. And even more difficult if you want it to be linked to a database in stead of just containing static html.

Only some blog-sites have user-friendly ways to design a site (choosing from templates and configuring them) and post to your own blog.

Collapse -
Designing vs developing
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 15, 2012 11:40 PM PDT

As Kees mentioned, designing (creating the look and user interface) and developing a website (taking the design and turning it into a website) are two different things. Depending on the complexity and goals of your website, you may be able to get away with generic templates (i.e. no custom design). That leaves you with choosing a platform to power your website.

It comes down to this: if you are willing to put time and effort into learning how to do this, you can go with something like Wordpress or Drupal, which don't require coding per se, but it would be a good tool to have in your bag to get it just how you want it. In addition, there are thousands of developers that work with those platforms that could help you out with specific questions/tasks.

If you're looking to do minimal work, you can go with something like Movable Type, Typepad, or Tumblr, if you're looking for a blog-like website. This is a paid service and you can contact the respective company for support.

If you have specific things you want, and don't want to spend much time on it, it's best to hire someone to do this for you. That's the most guaranteed way to get what you want.

Collapse -
Website Designing Tool
by javed01nov / June 13, 2012 3:17 AM PDT

For this you can go through to "Dream Viewer" and "Adobe Photoshop".

Collapse -
OOPS in php 5.3
by yogeshmishra695 / June 15, 2012 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Website Designing Tool

Why is object oriented programming required by companies. I looking for php project trainingso that i can face interview questions confidently. How should I start php training using online resources.

Collapse -
php tutorials
by Smith_Warnes / July 5, 2012 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: OOPS in php 5.3

You can first start by studying about PHP basics on w3schools.PHP is a very easy language its requires only about 10 days if u are new to programming.

Collapse -
use free editors
by webdeveloper10 / June 14, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

It is easy you can use some software like frontpage, or other free editors on internet. also normally your host company offer some free package that you can use them too to easily create your website

Collapse -
Web Site Desgin
by javed01nov / June 17, 2012 2:15 PM PDT

Today, Flash-based web design has become the most advanced tools for creating interactive website design and presentation for the digital experience. Flash helps in designing professional websites with more interactive pages supplemented with graphics, video and animated characters that gives uniqueness to the website.
For more information visit: shahdeepinternational.com

Collapse -
How to design a website?
by cwebconsult / June 20, 2012 8:30 PM PDT

Steps to design a website:

1. Always remember your audience and purpose.
2. Create a consistent layout.
3. Create a consistent style.
4. Make your purpose clear.
5. Keep the homepage simple.
6. Maximize readability.
7. Don't bombard the viewer with cutesy, gimmicky graphics.
8. Make your website universally readable.
9. Keep hearing and visually-impaired website visitors in mind.
10. Include interesting and relevant links.
11. Include a "mailto" link.
12. Make sure your visitors know that the site is active and being modified.
13. Test your website.
14. Publish your website.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove advertising link on 06/21/2012 at 7:48 AM PT

Collapse -
How to design a website
by dws1234 / June 25, 2012 4:30 PM PDT

There are various web hosting sites by which you can take help and create your own website. There are also various software are available by which you can download complete template of any website and with the help of that you can create your own. There are also a number of videos are available to design HTML/CSS pages by which you can create better look for your website.

Collapse -
Web Design help
by lemonhead137 / July 11, 2012 9:28 AM PDT

Hey man, I see your problem and it is extremely difficult to design your own website and make it look professional. It would be ideal to hire some one that is a professional to do that kind of thing. However, I do have something that might help with you website overall. It would affect the way your website is laid out so it has something to do with web design. It is a real time analytics service with heatmaps that tell you what is the strong and weak points of your website so that you can improve it. It is called SeeVolution and it is a free service for now. So hurry up and sign up, I think its not going to be free soon and it is a pro tool.

if you have any questions just holla at me.

Collapse -
by Andreas_T / July 12, 2012 12:18 PM PDT

Website dev is not for the faint of heart. Consider hiring someone to develop the site, or be like many of others, and take a course.

Collapse -
by anne785 / September 3, 2012 11:07 PM PDT

Designing a website is not a easy task. at present wordpress and joomla are the two software available for designing the website.

Collapse -
One Suggestion..
by Monikacdn / September 21, 2012 9:53 PM PDT

Hello KiranAkbar,

I would like to suggest you to concentrate on your online business if you are the owner of it rather than taking time in its coding and designing. As coding needs sound knowledge and experience and a single mistake in it could be harmful to your website. So hire a web designer or a web design company and let assign your work to them and concentrate more on your online business.

Collapse -
Best: Use Wordpress Themes as Design and customize
by pearlsmediacorporation / September 23, 2012 7:02 PM PDT

Wordpress has some of the best designs for themes. They dont all look like blogs and they dont have to be linked to wordpress. See I have a blog in blogspot and I use wordpress to do SEO, backlinking, designing images, adding fast downloadable images from free media library and the more. You just import and export the design by copy pasting the html from wordpress page to blogger or any other website. No need to hassle for CSS etc.
This is new technology and new independence from old threadlike structures.
For more see my blog entry

You also get other tech tips from my blog http://pearlstechnology.blogspot.com

Collapse -
Please, no self promotion.
by Sovereign Forum moderator / September 23, 2012 11:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
Design a web site
by BeDe1234 / September 27, 2012 5:46 PM PDT

first of all you can use web to date 8 (www.todate.com) to create a web page and for designing your site you can use www.a5-animator.com.

Collapse -
(NT) That's one of the zillions tools around.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Design a web site
Collapse -
by PlotHost / September 29, 2012 11:30 PM PDT

The best and easy way is to buy a template or use a script like WordPress with a nice theme.

Collapse -
by Forrest17 / May 14, 2013 3:50 PM PDT

Hello Kiran,
It's nice to know that you want to design a website. I am not the greatest designer of websites and created mine using WordPress. It is open source and free. In my point of view designing a website using WordPress is much simpler when compared to others. Everything that makes a webpage feel rich - videos, images, document, and music feel right at home in WordPress. It includes many great features and plug-ins. A good place to start will be SimpleWebsiteTutorials: how to make your own website. It is suited for beginners who can learn the basics with the help of instructional videos.

Collapse -
Create your own website with scratch.
by Harshada321 / May 29, 2013 4:33 PM PDT

Hi Kiran,

Having your own website is the best way to communicate ideas or market a business or product to people across the world. Making website is a very creative work. If you have some knowledge about html pages then it is not very difficult task for you. A website is a collection of related web pages, images, videos or other digital assets that are addressed relative to a common Uniform Resource Locator (URL), often consisting of only the domain name, or the IP address. In order to create a website from scratch, you will need to have three things: a registered domain, a website hosting company, and an HTML editor programme. An HTML editor is a program that allows you to create your web site in a word processor-like environment while the program writes the HTML code for you in the background. You can also use powerpoint,paint for website creation.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.