Networking & Wireless

General discussion

how to delete wireless network created with xp wizard?

by A. Smith / April 20, 2005 5:22 AM PDT

I went and did the "set up wireless network wizard" and put in my ssid made up and wep (even tho I know it should be wpa) but the real problemo is I DONT WANT OR NEED A NETWORK I WAS JUST SEEING HOW THE WIZARD WORKED.So my question is how HOW do I delete my wireless network as when I go back into wizard I only have option to make an ADDItional network or TO ADD AN EXTRA DEVICE to the existing computer>

Question 2: If I go to a hotsport free eg and use wireless how do I know if my co study tables can get into my wireless since it is at a public free hotspot??? since it is free and public??? I don't care if the coffee ploace can read my files but what about the other patrons? Anything I should do other than not do credit card stuff etc over the wireless connection? thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to delete wireless network created with xp wizard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to delete wireless network created with xp wizard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open network connections
by Melati Hitam / April 22, 2005 6:34 PM PDT

and disable it or delete it

For Q#2 - don't share anything on your laptop/pc and make it 'private'

Collapse -
how to delete wireless network created with xp wizard?
by terry74728 / August 7, 2005 7:27 AM PDT

I did the same thing as A. Smith, but the solution given won't work for me. When I go to network connections, the ''name'' network I made up with the Wireless Network setup Wizard isn't shown, but if I go to the Wireless Network setup Wizard, under the select task it has the option to add new computers or devices to the ''name'' network I had made up. Does anyone know where the ''name'' is stored in a file or registry entry so it could be deleted?

Collapse -
help again...
by A. Smith / September 14, 2007 6:14 PM PDT

I want to delete the second option of existing wep network in wireless network wizard. I cannot remove it. I have windows xp, sp2 and madeup this connection in 2005. But now I want to do a new network and not have the old network come up in THE WIRELESS WIZARD.

Collapse -
have the same problem as melanie.
by A. Smith / September 14, 2007 6:17 PM PDT
In reply to: help again...

Please someone help me figure out how to get this old network out of my wizard choices. The usual way above did not work for me either. thanks, a.s.

Collapse -
sorry I meant same problem as Terry....
by A. Smith / September 14, 2007 6:27 PM PDT

When I go to network connections, the ''name'' network I made up with the Wireless Network setup Wizard isn't shown, but if I go to the Wireless Network setup Wizard, under the select task it has the option to add new computers or devices to the ''name'' network I had made up. Does anyone know where the ''name'' is stored in a file or registry entry so it could be deleted?
sorry for the confusion. Sincerely, A.S.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by ProudPrimate / October 1, 2007 10:17 AM PDT

(I'm running XP-Home with SP2)

The closest I've gotten to a solution is, I went to My Network Places, thence Entire Network, thence Microsoft Windows Network. There sits the most recent network I created, although this is not the name that comes up when I click "View Wireless Networks" ? when I do that, I get all my neighbors' (successful) creations, plus (not the most recent one that shows in "My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network", but) the very first one, or maybe I should say, the very first name I used. But it was created as a "computer-to-computer" network, which I now think I don't want ? nobody else has one. That could be part of my problem.

But in any case, the object, with the three-linked-pc's-icon, that has the most recent name ? there's no way to delete it. Zero.

And even if I did, it's not the name I want to get rid of, nor is it the config I want to get rid of. Where is it coming from? I searched the registry, but it's not there.

Collapse -
PROBLEM SOLVED
by rchuncleskeleton / May 25, 2008 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

>I had the same problem... I changed my original workgroup information and name, but
>the old one still persisted under "Microsoft Windows Network"
>
>After much searching a found a little notation that said to turn of printer and file
>sharing under "connection properties" on the wireless connection I applied changes and the old Workgroup icon
>was gone.
>I went back and turned printer and file sharing back on (as I need it active) and
>the icon for the old workgroup did not return.
>I hope this helps,
>Daniel
>
> You cannot delete a workgroup, you can only change the workgroup you are in. Right click on My Computer, click the Computer Name tab, click on 'To rename....' change button, type the name of the workgroup you want to be in, under the the workgroup radio button. Enjoy

Collapse -
Same problem
by gloussou / February 17, 2011 6:34 PM PST

I just got the same problem as you had in.... 2005
Did you finally find out?

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Same issue, easy solution
by dcopple1 / March 1, 2011 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I just had the same issue, and I see this is from 2005! Still can't find a solution, so I did this and my network doesn't show up on any of the lists, may not be right though. I created a new one call " ", just two spaces. Went through manual setup, gave it no perameters and said finish. Now if I reopen the wizard it just want to add stuff to the " " network, may other one is not there, or I can create a new one.

Collapse -
%USER%\Application Data\Microsoft\LastFlashConfig.wfc
by croupiac / April 25, 2011 2:59 AM PDT

From http://www.passcape.com/wireless_keys_screenshots

Wireless Flash Configuration - the last configuration, which is 'prudently' stored by Windows' Wireless Network Setup Wizard. That data is normally saved in a file named LastFlashConfig.wfc, which is stored in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Microsoft.

Collapse -
Might be a little late, but...
by gculp007 / March 12, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

Goto Start - Control Panel - Network Connections
Double-click the "Wireless" connection
On the left, click on "Change the order of preferred networks"
Find the name of your wireless connection under "Preferred Networks" - highlight and click "Remove"

Collapse -
That works
by frankothemountain / April 2, 2012 10:47 PM PDT

I had to do it 3 times, but then it was gone. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.