Windows 7 forum

General discussion

How to Delete Windows Media Player?

by T2181 / December 12, 2009 2:53 AM PST

I've tried and tried to delete this program, but it's just not letting me. I'm beginning to think it's impossible although that wouldn't be entirely true would it? Here's the deal.. heh. Every now and then when I open Windows Media Player or play a movie or music from it, it brings up this message,

"Please run this program from the Administrator account so it can set up your license. Once the license is set up, you can run it from any account."

The complicated part is that I am running it from the Administrator account. This is the only account on the computer. I've tried the "Add or Remove programs" trick, it didn't work. Clicking the show updated files won't work either. Windows Media Player doesn't show in the list at all.

So there it is. Hope one of you guys out there knows how to fix this.. heh. This is drivin me nuts.

<<My Computers Specifications>>
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- 32-bit operating system
- Windows Media Player version= 12.0.7100.0

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Delete Windows Media Player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Delete Windows Media Player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
standard user account
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 12, 2009 1:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Turn OFF WMP
by Mannar_Mannan / December 14, 2009 2:54 AM PST

Very simple.Goto Control Panel->Program(unistall a progam),
Unistall or Change Program window appears..on the left pane chose "Turn Windows Features On or Off"..on the dialog goto "Media features",uncheck the 'Windows Media Player' and give ok..it asks for a restart..now u ve successfully turned off wmp feature..u cant delete wmp..coz its an essential os component

Collapse -
XPLite
by R_Head / December 15, 2009 12:10 PM PST

It was a small program called XPLite that removed pesky components like Security Center and Auto Updates and many other MS features. Even Internet Explorer (never really did, but the system behaved like was not there) was somewhat "removed". I have not heard of some program released yet but might be on the works. Just live with it !

MS got in trouble in Europe for stuff like that this. If you do not like how MS does business there are other Operating System that you might want to give it a shot, but in the way MS is, I think is not going to change any time soon.

Sorry bud, but as stated before, disabling perhaps is the best option as this moment or learn to like it. Happy

Collapse -
Well..
by T2181 / December 15, 2009 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: XPLite

It's not that I don't like the program. It's just that I can barely use it. It says it needs a security upgrade and it won't do it. Says it's not licensed for this user. So i'm guessing i installed it from another user. But I deleted that one. So now it looks like i'm hooped.

Collapse -
Re: security update
by Kees Bakker / December 15, 2009 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: Well..

Just disable that update in your Windows update screens. Then it won't load again, so not give an error.

Kees

Collapse -
Yeah but..
by T2181 / December 15, 2009 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re: security update

I wanted to run Windows Media Player so I could use the Digital Copy of the movies i bought on it. It can only be used with either windows media player or itunes. I could do it through itunes, but it's too big a pain to move there files to non-ipod devices and making them work.

Collapse -
Re: yeah but
by Kees Bakker / December 16, 2009 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah but..

If I understand everything well:
- in your first post you say you want to ininstall WMP
- then you say it gives errors on an update
- now you say you want to run it for copying movies
That's rather confusing.

Kees

Collapse -
I'll explain.
by T2181 / December 16, 2009 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: yeah but

I wanted to uninstall the program so I could install the program back again using my User Account. Then I could setup the account license and yada yada. But that doesn't sound possible right now. So yes it's true I want to be able to use it still to be able to run Digital Copied movies off of. But also so I could listen to music and watch movies from it without getting that annoying error message from it.

Collapse -
confusing
by jeff_windows_team / December 16, 2009 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: I'll explain.

I'm confused like a few others here. You say "I wanted to uninstall the program so I could install the program back again using my User Account."

Windows Media Player should be present in all user accounts on the computer. Is it not?

Collapse -
I believe..
by T2181 / December 16, 2009 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: confusing

that the error happens because it was originally installed on another account. This happened because I switched from Windows Vista to Windows 7 I think. And the old user was deleted. Thats just my guess.. either that or I downloaded the file through a sub account and deleted that. Either way, it's asking me to license it through the administrators account and i'm on it so i'm thinking it's talking about a account I already had. So now i'm thinking if I get rid of Windows media player somehow and then reinstall it, it won't show me the error and let me run my media on it without any problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.