Windows 7 forum

How to delete OS (not straight forward. See details)

by drow23 / November 18, 2012 7:23 AM PST

I dropped my computer (Dell Inspiron 15R) and the hard drive went bad.
Got a new hard drive installed with out an OS.

I had a Windows 7 32 bit disk and started to install it, but failed to realize it was an upgrade disk and there needed to be an existing OS for it to work.

Now I have an old Windows XP, SP2 OS disk and when I try to install that, I get the blue screen of death every time.

How can I delete the Windows 7 upgrade I put on there first, so I can install XP and then use my Windows 7 upgrade?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to delete OS (not straight forward. See details)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to delete OS (not straight forward. See details)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
No need to uninstall this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 8:43 AM PST

But if I were to make a bet, the HDD is SATA and XP will crash on that drive every time.

Tell us how you added SATA support to XP?

Collapse -
by drow23 / November 18, 2012 10:17 AM PST

I have no idea how to get SATA to support XP. I had a computer repair shop install the new hard drive for me.

There aren't a whole lot of options in the boot screen for me to do this kind of configuration.

Collapse -
Many hurdles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: SATA??

The Dell Inspiron 15R has the SATA HDD which XP does not support. If you type Install XP to a SATA drive on google you see the folk battling this all the time so you need to get Dell to tell you how for this machine. It's not always the same, and you also have a second hurdle in that some of the installs require the XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD which you only have XP which means that the HDD better be smaller than 127GB if the laptop supports the IDE emulation.

Just why folk must do this is not for me to decide but it's quite a rough ride.

Collapse -
Try turning AHCI off in the BIOS
by wpgwpg / November 20, 2012 12:26 AM PST

I started running into this kind of thing with SATA drives several years ago. The way to install XP is to go into the BIOS setup and turn of the AHCI feature for the hard drive. That will let you get XP installed. Then you can run the upgrade to Windows 7. Once Windows 7 is installed you can turn AHCI back on. You can see the Wikipedia description of AHCI here .

Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.