Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How to Delete Norton from Vista? - What is Vongo???

by NorthBeachnik / September 24, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

A while back someone (R. Profitt?) told me not to delete Norton System Works (which I foolishly clicked on when starting my new HP laptop after having a disaster with my suddenly dead Dell). I understand why Norton is crap. I used to use the old DOS version which was wonderful, really saved me at least three times in the old days.

Now, my trial subscription has run out and I really do want this crapware off my computer so I can use AVG or anything, anything but some crap you pay for (and get ripped off by). How do I delete Norton safely and I mean delete, really clean Norton and all its drips and drabs it leaves behind in the registry? I'd like to delete the other bloatware safely, too - you know, AOL, etc. And what the heck is Vongo? I haven't clicked on it but it must be bloatware too.

Anyway, please advise with the safest and most complete method(s) for cleaning this garbage out of my laptop.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to Delete Norton from Vista? - What is Vongo???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to Delete Norton from Vista? - What is Vongo???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vongo? Try this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 2:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
I might actually try taking on Vongo...
by NorthBeachnik / September 24, 2007 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Vongo? Try this link.

...by attempting to delete it per the instructions in the link to another thread about this viperware. Buying HP is like buying a new house with brand new landscaping and a bunch of snakes in the grass hiding in holes. Well, I'm feeling mongoosey and I'm sick of bloatware, crapware, and Norton bloviating my laptop and slowing down everything and ruining my minimalist desktop and startup. I knew there was something seriously wierd and sticky about Vongo when I could not delete the Vongo icon from my startup in the lower right hand corner where my real startup program icons hang out. Interestingly, without my reading glasses, the Norton and the Vongo icons look almost alike to me.

And I still have no idea what the hell Vongo is or what it purports to do...

Thanks, Bob, for pointing me in the right direction! I'll back up al my data to my Maxtor and again to some flash drives before I deVongofy my laptop.

Alex

Collapse -
How to Delete Vongo?
by fere1 / August 9, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

My computer has caught a virus. Everytime i turn the computer on it starts installing Vongo and its been doing this for so long i cant even work on the computer because i get interrupted by the installing program. I really need to fix this problem fast. Thank you

Collapse -
See post number 2 and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2009 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: How to Delete Vongo?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.