Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to delete icon in the right bottom tray?

by tcyw20 / May 30, 2007 5:34 PM PDT

I found the right bottom tray had more items added and its length grew.

May I know how to delete some icons in the bottom tray?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to delete icon in the right bottom tray?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to delete icon in the right bottom tray?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: icons in right bottom tray.
by Kees Bakker / May 30, 2007 5:59 PM PDT

That part of the taskbar was called "system tray" in Windows 98 and ME. Windows XP calls it "notification area". Just so you know. No problem with me how you call it.

This aren't just icons, it are running programs showing an icon there so you can activate them if you want. Examples include the 'safely remove hardware' icon, the 'volume control', Nvidia control for your monitor settings, Zonealarm firewall, anti-virus program. And some mediaplayers (like Real Player) do it.

There are two possibilities to get rid of these icons:
1. If you need the program running, but don't want to see the icons, those programs sometimes have a setting that lets you choose to show it or suppress it. That really depends on the program. Sometimes they haven't (like the 'safely remove hardware').
2. If you don't need the program running, it's nearly always possible to do so. Maybe the program has a 'run at boot' option that you can uncheck. Or you need to go to the startup tab of MSCONFIG (start>run>MSCONFIG) and uncheck it in the list.

If you tell what icons you have (just click them, or right click them to see what the are, or point your mouse at it and see if the have a yellow tool-tip) we can tell you for each of them what to do with them.

So waiting for your reply.

Kees

Collapse -
icons in 'notification area'
by tcyw20 / May 30, 2007 6:50 PM PDT

The icon that I want to delete is a yellow triangular icon with a ballon to say 'System Alert your computer .... Trojan ...etc'. On clicking the icon, it brings me to some websites that sell Spylock softwares. Once in a while, another yellow icon will appear in the 'notification area' which gives the same kind of nuisance message.

Collapse -
Your conputer is infected with Spyware and
by retired / May 30, 2007 10:12 PM PDT

Possibly viruses and trojans. A list of suggestions to try to rid your machine of such.

HOUSECALL http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

SWAT IT http://www.swatit.org/

CW SHREDDER http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

ADAWARE http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

AVG ANTISPYWARE http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

HIJACK THIS http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Be sure to read about HIJack This.

Collapse -
nuisance program - icon system tray
by rnarrell / June 3, 2007 9:56 PM PDT

Gentlemen: I mistakenly opened ActiveX to view a video - Now I apparently have downloaded something that appears in the system tray in the form of a triangle (yellow) with an exclamation mark inside. Every few minutes it turns to a X with a message ballon to click regarding Spyware. When you click on it, you get an ad for "Spylocked", a company located in Latvia, I believe. How can I reverse this and get rid of this nuisance icon and the lelments I have downloaded associated with it? Thanks much. Richard Narrell.

Collapse -
How Remove perticular icons from notification area
by sreejith_33 / December 18, 2007 8:08 PM PST

I was installed one software for monitoring..but after installing,the software lounched in notification area. no other option for hideing while installing.I need to prohibit this icons only from notification area.
windos ---xp
P-IV

U.A.E--Sharjah

Collapse -
Re: hiding icon from notification area
by Kees Bakker / December 18, 2007 8:44 PM PST

That's totally dependent on the program.

- Some programs don't show.
- Some programs always show.
- Some programs have something like right-click>Options and then a checkbox to tell them to show or not to show.

Nothing you can do about it, even if you "need". You can't. It's the way the designer designed it and the programmer programmed it.

Kees

Collapse -
deleting icon
by Kollita / May 27, 2012 3:11 AM PDT

Yes, I think your article was helpful, but I'm not an expert and would like to ask you if I did the right thing > by unchecked msmsgs , hope that means ms messenger that is the icon I wanted to delete from the system tray since I already uninstalled that program from my XP windows Home Edition.

Please help me, I want to make sure I did not screwed up something else!

thank you very much
Kollita

Collapse -
Best to start a new discussion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: deleting icon

detailing your problems.

This discussion is now 5 years old.

Mark

Collapse -
Try this
by Chimlim / May 31, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

Start > Control Panel > Taskbar and Start Menu > Check "Hide inactive icons" > Click "Customize" > And select "Always Hide" for any icons you don't want to show up.

You also may want to try Start > Run > MSCONFIG then click "Startup" and find programs that you don't need. Be careful doing this though, make sure you don't prevent a necessary start up program.

Collapse -
Hide a spyware icon ...
by Kees Bakker / May 31, 2007 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

won't do anything to the annoying popup's, I'm afraid. Removing it from the startup list might help, but I prefer to remove malware. And there's no doubt to me this is malware.

Kees

Collapse -
how to delete icon in service tray
by mukeshnisha / January 5, 2010 3:50 AM PST

i want to delete unwanted icon to service tray i have windos xp

Collapse -
How did you get on
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 5, 2010 4:16 AM PST

with the options offered in the posts above?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.