Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How to delete ad website from my browser window

by Luckyy / March 6, 2007 2:25 AM PST

I have Windows XP, with McAfee, Spybot, Ad-Aware. There is an ad website that automatically shows up on my AT&T browser window, It is I want to eliminate this from my browser, but can't figure out how. Before AT&T took over SBC, I used to be able to go to tools, and pull up the pop-up blocker window, then type in any site I wanted to delete. I can't seem to do this anymore. Ad-Aware is not getting rid of it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to delete ad website from my browser window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to delete ad website from my browser window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
delete ad website from my browser window
by caktus / March 6, 2007 5:34 AM PST

Are you able to add to the Pop up blocker and it just doesn't work?

A possible option would be to go to My Computer > drive C: > Windows > System32 > Drivers > etc > Hosts.txt. Scroll down below "Host" and ad the following: (w/o the "http://").

Close Hosts.txt and click "Yes" to save the changes.

But this does not always work as many advertisers can circumvent this. But if you are blocking Cookies you should be able to block By logging out of the CNET Forums, enabling Cookies, logging back into the CNET Forums, then again blocking Cookies.

BTW, the pop up it's self does not pose a risk. Rather it's just a slight nuisance.

Hope this is helpful.

Collapse -
Just a small point here.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 6:16 AM PST

The Hosts file should not have an extension, eg ".txt". It should just be Hosts.

To open it, right click it and select "Open with..." and then select Notepad. But remember, when you want to save it, goto File > Save As, and in the Save As window, click the down arrow under "Save as type:", and select "All files", then make sure the name being saved is just Hosts, and not Hosts.txt.

But a question about the ad. When you open the AT&T browser where does this ad display? Is it a web page, or does it display in a toolbar or something?

If it's a web page you could try changing your Home Page to something else, but if it is in a toolbar then that is because it is AT&T's customised version of Internet Explorer and you would need to find the registry entry to change it.

You could always use your own version of Internet Explorer in Start > All Programs > Accessories, or, better still, download, install and use a different browser altogether, like Firefox. It has less vulnerabilities than IE or any customised version of IE.

Collapse -
RE: ".txt".
by caktus / March 6, 2007 6:44 AM PST

Thanks Grif.

Mine is reflecting the ".txt" extension. Can't recall the last time I opened it. Guess I had the "always open with" box selected. But still, it's a cold day in a hot place when I get redirected or see ads. Is it working with the ".txt"? Or should I remove the ".txt"?

Collapse -
(NT) Grif who :)
by tomron / March 6, 2007 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: RE: ".txt".
Collapse -
(NT) Grif who :)
by caktus / March 6, 2007 3:58 PM PST
In reply to: Grif who :)

Er,a, Mark, rather. Some times I lost in the grand scheme of things. Must be the Mad Cow disease. Cry

Hope I didn't offend any one. Wink

Collapse -
No, I'm sure Grif isn't offended.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Grif who :)

You Hosts file is likely not to be working if it has the .txt extension, because the software that uses Hosts to redirect web address won't be looking for it. I would rename it and remove the .txt extension. Windows will complain when you try and say that the file may not be workable if you change an extension, but just beat it around a bit and tell it who's boss, and it will comply!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, Mark :)
by caktus / March 7, 2007 6:15 AM PST
Collapse -
location of bad website
by Luckyy / March 6, 2007 1:00 PM PST

When I open my AT&T Yahoo browser window, I have a series of boxes that display various things that I choose, like, weather, news, and calendar. The unwanted website is a box right over the calendar. It just appeared there when AT&T took over from SBC. Oddly enough, while I can add things to my brownser page, I cannot delete things like this bad website. There is no choice to "delete" when I try to right click my mouse on the site.

Collapse -
That sounds like an "inline" advert
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 6:16 PM PST

Some web sites have these now. I'm not sure if the "inline" is the right word for it, but the advert pops up within the page itself. They usually have a Close box in the top right hand corner so you can get rd of it.

Can you let us have the web site address so we can test it ourselves?

Like you, I find these pop up inside the web page adverts very intrusive and annoying. But if you really want to retain the AT&T web page as your home page then I am not sure what you can do to stop it. Perhaps complain to AT&T?

Collapse -
Mark Flax
by Luckyy / March 7, 2007 4:47 AM PST

When I position my mouse over the ad, the url address is:

I continually run all my anti-adware programs, but it doesn't get rid of this one, which appears in my browser. I am beginning to suspect that AT&T has made some kind of deal to force people to have these ads in their browser windows, because when it was SBC, instead of AT&T, I used to be able to get rid of stuff like this. Now I can't. I've tried complaining, but to no avail. I also tried searching for the above in my program files, but can't find anything. It's not in the temp files either.

Collapse -
I was hopng for.......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 7, 2007 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: Mark Flax

Hi Luckyy.

Sorry, I was hoping for the web address of your Home Page. The AT&T web site where you see all these adverts. I didn't make myself clear.

Collapse -
New Development
by Luckyy / March 8, 2007 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: I was hopng for.......

MarkFlax, when I turned on my machine this morning, the advertisement itself was gone. However, the box with the word "Advertisment" over it is still on the browser. It looks like your ideas worked, at least for the ad part. I think I'll just have to leave the box itself on the browser, unless I decide to change browsers. Thanks.

Collapse -
bad ad website
by Luckyy / March 6, 2007 12:55 PM PST

I cannot type in the name of the bad website anywhere in the pop-up blocker window.

Collapse -
No Hosts
by Luckyy / March 6, 2007 1:21 PM PST

Caktus, when I go into drivers, I don't see anything that says "hosts".

Collapse -
(NT) In "Drivers" click on the folder named "etc"
by caktus / March 6, 2007 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: No Hosts
Collapse -
Caktus - no etc.
by Luckyy / March 7, 2007 5:16 AM PST

I don't have a folder named etc. under drivers. All I have is audio, modem, network, storage, system, video and infcache. I looked into each of those folders, but couldn't find anything. I did a search using the word nextag, but couldn't find it. I also looked into Yahoo browser graphics to see if I could find it, but no luck. It may be embedded under another name or a set of numbers.

Collapse -
RE: don't have a folder named etc. under drivers.
by caktus / March 7, 2007 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Caktus - no etc.

My HOSTS file has the entry "" And I am not able to open the ad you are having trouble with.

The etc folder should be near the very top of the drivers folder. But it can be any where in the drivers folder, even near the bottom. Go to Search for files an folders and do a search for "etc" WITH THE QUOTES. It should find at least a couple etc folders. The path to one of them should be at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers.

You should also be able to use Search for files an folders to locate the HOSTS file.

If the etc folder is in fact missing from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers, then create the folder there and name it "etc" w/o the quotes. Then go to
Read the instructions "Hosts File Installation" and download "" to your Desktop.

Once installed, open the HOSTS file in Notepad and go to Edit > Find > and search for If is not there go ahead and add it with the IP address. Then close the HOSTS file saving the changes.

Then go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to and double click on "DNS Client" and change the Startup type to "Manual" and click Apply > OK.

Restart the computer to make sure that the new settings are saved and you should be in business.

Please post back the results.

Collapse -
Found Hosts
by Luckyy / March 7, 2007 2:46 PM PST

Ok -- found hosts file, will now try next step as you suggestsed. Thanks.

Collapse -
No luck
by Luckyy / March 7, 2007 2:57 PM PST

Caktus, I followed your exact sequence of events -- including shutting off the computer, but the ad box is still there -- only it has now changed to a new ad!!! Bummer.

Collapse -
reply to: No luck
by caktus / March 7, 2007 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: No luck

Advertizers and ad servers are getting more slick every day.

Right click on the ad and select "Properties". Then copy the URL and paste it a reply to this poating.

BTW, did you find in the HOSTS file?

Collapse -
When I right click on advertisement box
by Luckyy / March 8, 2007 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: reply to: No luck
Collapse -
reply to: When I right click on advertisement box
by caktus / March 8, 2007 7:20 AM PST

Add "" wlo the quotes to the HOSTS file. Note that there is atleast one space between and

Re: However, maybe I should look for shdoclc.dll."
Are you getting any such errors relating to shdoclc.dll when you try to connect to the Internet or Web sites? If so, update McAfee, Spybot, Ad-Aware and download and update AVG Anti-Spyware Free . Boot the computer to Safe Mode and scan with all of these. When the scans have complete and removed any problems that are found turn off System Restore. This will remove all of the System Restore points in case they have been infected. While still in Safe Mode run all the scans again. Then turn System Restore back on and restart the computer. BTW, when the AVG Anti-Spyware trial period is over you can still use it by updating and running it manually.

To turn off/on System Restore see Steps to turn off System Restore and Steps to turn on System Restore at

Hope this is helpful.

Collapse -
Host File
by gerrymar / March 7, 2007 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: Caktus - no etc.

The "host" file is suppose to help load a previously visited URL's a little faster however if you have fast internet connection, you won't notice the difference. In other words you don't need. I've not had a problem since I deleted mine.

The other culprit is your cache file. Try deleting it.

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 7, 2007 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: RE: don't need

The Hosts file is an extremely useful web site blocker. It "re-directs" any listed web site addresses, known as url's, to the site entered at the beginning of each line in the file; eg, if the site entered is, this is the "local host" which is your own computer. Any url entered in the same line after is re-directed to your own computer and not to the web site itself, and so it is an effective block of unwelcome web sites.

The Hosts file can be hijacked by virus writers and hackers to re-direct web pages to those of their own choosing. That's why a utility like Spybot Search & Destroy should be used to prevent the Hosts file from being amended by outsiders.

The important thing to remember is to re-save the Hosts file without an extension. Using Notepad to amend it usually causes the .txt extension to be added. Thats why, when saving inside Notepad, it should be Save As, and the All files option selected under the "Save As type:" option.

Collapse -
I can't seem to do this anymore
by Cursorcowboy / March 6, 2007 9:53 PM PST

1. The article [Q909604] explains that Internet Explorer Pop-up Blocker is enabled by default on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer that prevents most pop-up windows from appearing over Web pages when you are browsing the Internet and describes how to turn Pop-up Blocker on or off.

2. In addition, the article [Q843015] explains that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), pop-up windows may still appear even though the Pop-up Blocker feature is turned on, and describes steps to possible correct the anomaly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.