Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to delete a program that won't uninstall.

by YankeesNYwins / September 19, 2007 9:41 PM PDT

How to delete a program that won't uninstall

----------------------------------------------------------------------

through the add or remove programs in the control panel.

Step # 1.Go to this site and download Microsoft?s uninstaller and run it and if the program you want to get rid of is on the list select it and remove from your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Step # 2. Click on start , click on run, type regedit, and when it opens click on HKey local machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, click on the plus sign for uninstall and it opens all the programs installed on your computer , scroll and see if the program you want to get rid of is on the list?if it is right click on it and delete it.

Step # 3. Click on start, click on run, type msconfig, and when it opens click on BOOT.INI and check the box that says, SAFE MODE. Boot the computer to safe mode and when it opens click on DRIVE C and click on program files and click on the folder of the program you want to delete from your computer and delete it. Then click on the common files folder and see if it is in there and if it is delete it.

Important now, go back to click on start, click on run, type msconfig, and when it opens click on BOOT.INI and uncheck the box that says, SAFE MODE or you will boot to safe mode again.

Once I remembered doing all the above steps and it still started up so I ran hijackthis and deleted the entries and it was gone for good.

Download Hijackthis here:
http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Even though the first step should get rid of the unwanted program you really should to each step.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to delete a program that won't uninstall.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to delete a program that won't uninstall.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Risky
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 20, 2007 10:22 PM PDT

Microsoft's Windows Installer utility comes with a health warning.
"The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised."

No mention of that in your post.

I'm confused about your whole post. It seems to be guidance for other members on how to get rid of programs that won't uninstall, even though it seems off-topic, (meaning no-one is currently asking for guidance about this), but then you say, "Once I remembered doing all the above steps and it still started up so I ran hijackthis and deleted the entries and it was gone for good".

So, are you seeking help yourself? If so, please explain more about your problems.

Mark

Collapse -
I think this is what happened.
by YankeesNYwins / September 20, 2007 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Risky
Collapse -
I posted the wrong link. Here is the correct link.
by YankeesNYwins / September 20, 2007 11:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Need to delete non-geninue Microsoft software
by allstatecanopies / June 30, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

I have 2 programs that are non-geninue software: Microsoft Publisher and Microsoft XP Professional with Front Page. I have tried deleting them through Add or Remove programs as well as ran MsFix It which did not resolve this issue. I tried to delete the programs through regedit but could not locate the programs. I also try to run msconfig in safe mode but safe mode was not an option to check only safe boot and I was unsure if safe mode and safe boot where the same. How can I delete these programs because my geninue copy of Office is in jeopardy?

Collapse -
OUCH.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 11:27 PM PDT

Since XP Professional is the operating system the problem here is deeper than we thought. Stay calm and think over how that came to be on that machine. The problem as I see it is that while you can sometimes get a proper key sometimes you can't and to fix it you get to start over.

This is not only costly but I find many ill prepared to install Windows and FINDING THE DRIVERS is not easy enough for the casual user.

Given only the details you supplied I fear it would be best to use the Recovery Media for this machine so you end up with a clean legal Windows with all the drivers. Then you can install your genuine Office without fear.
Bob

Collapse -
Microsoft has verified they are not geninue
by allstatecanopies / July 1, 2010 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: OUCH.

Microsoft has verified the software is not geninue or meaning licensed to the company I work for. Therefore the software mentioned needs to be deleted. Add or Remove does not removed it due to an error message. Microsoft told me to run MSFix IT and restart and try to remove the software. This did not work. I found an article on here to delete through the registry and msconfig but I haven't had success with this either.

Collapse -
Which is proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 12:37 AM PDT

The OPERATING SYSTEM under discussion does not show up in add/remove and there is no uninstall feature worth discussing. Yes there is a very specific situation where there is an uninstall but this machine and your machine's situation does not apply.

Moving on.

This is why the news is rather grim and why my advice remains:

1. Backup what you can't lose.
2. Repeat item 1 so you have a backup to your backup.
3. Restore the machine to its factory supplied OS.
4. Install Office, your choice of apps and antivirus.
5. Restore your documents and curse whoever put you into this position.
Bob

Collapse -
removing prog
by delicaman1 / September 10, 2011 7:43 AM PDT

load ccleaner go to tools page comes up pick your prog delete it. regards max

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.