Samsung forum

How to de-junk Smart Hub / Smart TV

by leopold55 / May 21, 2011 10:58 PM PDT

Hi, does anyone know how to get rid of all the junk in the Samsung "Smart Hub".

I can see that you can uninstall some of the "Apps", but what about the ones on the top half of the screen?;

Yahoo, LoveFilm, & all the other video on demand cr*p. "Your Video", is particularly annoying because it's not my video, it's yet another v-o-d service.

Would be fine to ignore if I didn't have young kids, who I want to be able to use the TV, but shouldn't be exposed to some of this stuff - even the covers and meta-data for these are potentially inappropriate.

As for the Samsung Apps - we'll they're mostly very poor, but again, I don't want my kids just downloading rubbish games or surfing inappropriate YouTube stuff.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to de-junk Smart Hub / Smart TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to de-junk Smart Hub / Smart TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Is it not possible?
by leopold55 / May 22, 2011 6:27 PM PDT

Is it not possible? - Surely I'm missing something?

Collapse -
How to de-junk Smart Hub / Smart TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 23, 2011 9:05 AM PDT

Collapse -
You are missing the point
by leopold55 / June 6, 2011 7:15 AM PDT

Dear HDTech,

It looks like you completely missed the point

You should be able to customise stuff not least to make navigation more efficient - just look at any OS - less junk is good thing. Nobody likes loads of useless stuff they're not interested in to get in the way of the parts they want to keep.

<i>"If you have pictures or examples of what you feel are beyond acceptable
standards, such as "this would never be a movie jacket or on a marquee
outside a theater", please take a photo, upload it, and paste the link
You're kind of missing the point here too. It's not just about whether stuff is offensive. Chocolate at the check-out of a supermarket is not offensive per se, it's that it's not helpful to parents to put it there just because the kids are going to fixate upon it.

If you choose to place something called "My Videos" prominently on the screen, any 7-10 year old may well think those are indeed "our videos" and start clicking on them expecting to be able to play them. Lo and behold, they are confronted with mainstream titles, posters and synopses which are not for them - whether they are corrupted by them or not is totally not the point.

The whole point here is it should be possible to get rid of the annoying stuff that you're not interested in, instead of having it distract you and potentially upset your kids.

This is a very basic concept of good design. You're not going to make many people buy your TVs more just because you have advertising for lovefilm, etc. For those who don't use these services it's just junk. For those who do - they already subscribe. I'm sure these guys are subsidising these apps in the hope they will lead to more subscribers, but you should know better than to push this stuff so crudely

You should learn from what happened with operator sponsored pre-loaded mobile phone and PC apps and "trial/bloatware" - people go to great lengths to remove them and it ends up creating negative feelings about the brand

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 7:21 AM PDT

It's going to take awhile for makers to get the message. Just today I read a very nice (scathing) article about the Microsoft Windows Phone 7.

I can't use that because the draconian thing didn't allow for us to put our company app on it without Microsoft's approval.

That alone was the killer for us. It's also one of those things where you get uninstallable preinstalled apps for about the same reasons above.

Take all this above and add a lot of salt as the makers learn what the consumers want.

Collapse -
Well put...
by Custom_ER / January 8, 2013 9:33 AM PST

I fully agree with leopold55. If I can't find a way to remove unwanted apps, we are ditching the "Smart"TV. At least I can keep the speakers.

Collapse -
Control over our purchased property is the point
by TraceyC77 / October 22, 2013 8:01 AM PDT

I also agree with leopold55 and their very well written response to Samsung's useless reply. After purchasing my own Samsung LED TV, I noticed ads in the Smart Hub. I did not pay for something to show ads to me, using the bandwidth *I* pay for. I haven't found a way to disable the ads or the Information Bar they are a part of.

I've asked if there is a way to do this in another thread here. Adding apps we can't remove and ads are unacceptable in a user interface. I agree with others, this is a "dumb" TV. It has a lot of crap that gets in the way of what I *want* to get to. The whole user interface is clunky & goes against modern design principles of being simple & making it easy for the user to get what they want accomplished.

I sincerely hope Samsung listens to users' feedback and puts the user back in the forefront of design decisions. As it stands, I wouldn't recommend this TV to folks because of the ads and horrid interface.

Collapse -
Link shows their PIA items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2013 11:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Matthew M / January 31, 2015 6:34 AM PST

I have samsung tv with smart hub, a google tv, a chromecast dongle, and an Apple t.v. my fav is Google t.v., least fav is Smart hub. It is way too imposing as far as what they want to show on the screen. GOOGLE TV follows the android ethos... fully the users voice, while Apple t.v. sports a top row, and the user can choose from Apple's list (which excludes certain channels that they do not make revenue from, like Amazon, etc. I prefer Google t.v. even though it's a little wonky. Chrome cast is not quite the same... it's more for showing content from your other devices on your tv. Great for slideshows, YouTube, Google play, Amazon, Netflix, etc., if indulged on your phone or running in browser on your computer.

Collapse -
Unacceptable policy
by sjokan / June 16, 2012 9:28 PM PDT

It should and must be possible to uninstall those preinstalled apps that the user finds pointless.
Samsungs Smart TV is not a hit in my country and part of the reason is the lack of flexibility of the Smart hub. Thats not Smart,thats Dumb. Give us a tool to get rid of the crap.

Collapse -
This is not a PC. The term I read is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2012 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Unacceptable policy

You also see this in cell phones, pads and now PCs.

Collapse -
Junk ware on Samsung Smart TV
by writeglobalmom / September 27, 2012 8:14 PM PDT

We recently purchased a top of the line Samsung Smart TV. But as a previous posted well stated this is a "dumb" tv. I would happily take this product back if I could, as all the Preloaded apps are junk for our family. Samsung needs to wise up and give customers the ability to customize the TV they purchased with the apps they want.

We stopped buying PC products years ago as they would also come preloaded with bloated unnecessary software. I am sure Samsung gets paid to promote and install those apps, which as the consumer we are paying for useless, annoying, crap that we personally would not choose to install. Everyone has their own personal preferences, forcing customers to put up with this is inexcusable in this day and age of technology.

I would be happy to share our experience with the Samsung TV on all the forums I can.

Collapse -
Not on my TV!
by jaseatthebar / November 7, 2012 8:43 PM PST

I agree entirely with leopold55. I have just bought a UE40ES5500 with SmartTV hub. At first everything was OK until I connected it to the ethernet at which point it upgraded and pushed unwanted apps onto my television. I do not want Lovefilm etc. This should be my decision, not down to a contract between Samsung and Lovefilm. I did not buy my TV for Samsung to push adverts and unwanted services into my home. It is certaintly possible from a technical perspective to remove them, Samsung just need to LISTEN to their customers and act. I'm in no doubt that many others feel the same even if they do not voice their opinions so loudly. Of course Samsung's decision to force these services is NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT CUSTOMERS WANT, it is more likely about the financial benefits Samsung gain from pushing these pay services.
My solution for now: Disable the SmartTV option and connect a raspberrypi to one of the video inputs. I can then control what online "apps" can be accessed. OK if you are an engineer, but I feel sorry for all the other disapointed buyers who cannot easily do this.

Collapse -
How to connect a raspberrypi?
by Custom_ER / January 8, 2013 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Not on my TV!

I'm not an engineer, but can enlist the help of a few friends that are. Any links or suggestions on how to manually control the apps? I am primarily interested in Netflix and Pandora.
Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
Looks very off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 9:37 AM PST

I'd start my own, new discussion.

Collapse -
Totally agree with leopold55
by SteveCulshaw / January 29, 2013 4:28 PM PST

I totally agree with leopold55 ... there should be someway for the owner of the TV to customise their Smart Hub to how THEY want it !!

Collapse -
I agree with leopold55 as well
by Rummelpot / February 7, 2013 6:27 PM PST

Yes, all the apps should be removable. We need to make Samsung understand this. Another problem with junk apps is that the update process - which happens too often, by the way - removes all the apps, and in my case it takes forever to install them again, as my Smart TV (UE40ES6800) will only install one app at a time. To install the next one I need to turn the TV off and on again. Nobody has been able to help me with this problem so far. I wonder if anybody else is experiencing the same?

It would also be very nice if updates could be disabled, so that it only occurs when you ask for it (via Tools). Why do I have to suffer with the tortuous update process, when I am happy with the current version of the apps?

Collapse -
Another one in agreement
by Chris__M / April 17, 2013 8:28 PM PDT

One of my unwanted "recommended apps" is Google Maps. Now, I can't see any time that I will want navigation advice from my TV - it is a bit big for my car dashboard. But in any event, clicking through it gets the notice that the app has been discontinued.

So if it is no longer working, why wasted memory and screen space by having it in "recommended apps"?

Ultimate in dumbness.

Collapse -
I guess we will have to root the tv to make it useful
by wankeringkeller / October 29, 2013 7:19 PM PDT

After a week I wish I never bought a samsung tv, I can't believe they built their whole interface around how to make more money from you after you pay a fortune for what you thought was a up market tv.. Ill buy from Kogan or similar in the future, that goes for phones tablets...

Collapse -
How to de_junk smart Hub /smart TV
by doyolema / November 7, 2013 2:22 AM PST

I am also tired of using this so called smart TV of Samsung brand. I bought this TV for $1100 five months ago. What I experienced on streaming videos is horrible. Frequent interruption of videos, freezing web browser which comes with the TV, inability to maintain sound volume, dark screen, gray screen all in all it is a mess. I was not able to stream without interruption with ads if I am lucky. I have to spend a lot of time to turn on and off frequently to unfreeze the TV if it may help. The sticky remote control from Samsung is also another problem. What also annoying me is that I am paying substantial amount of money for the broadband service and the TV set that Samsung is mostly selling ads on? It ironic to say that this is my TV as Samsung is the one using it by selling ads to the point that I can't use it as a smart TV. Samsung should have given this TV to public for free if their sole motive is to generate revenue from ads. This TV is smart for Samsung not for me.
Shouldn't I have the right to use the TV and broadband network for my own use?
samsung smart tv model num UN46F6300AF

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 2:31 AM PST

Many in the CNET Home Audio forum. I see PIA covered above.

Collapse -
Customise software - remove unwanted apps
by Chodbag / May 26, 2014 8:09 AM PDT

Hi there, I am looking to buy a smart TV but I'm already angry at all the pre-installed apps. I want to be able to delete things I will never want to pay for or use.

If these TVs are smart then they are surely configurable?

Do some manufacturers offer more flexibility than others?

Collapse -
I have to go with...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2014 8:21 AM PDT

Turn off that in the TV and add your own via some android set top box, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc. This thread is more than 1100 days old.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.