Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to create virtual drive in XP?

by xp101 / August 16, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

I have multimedia software CD. Each time I run the program, I have to insert the CD in order to make it run. What/how to do to make program fully installed and run in the hard drive without inserting CD every time?

Someone advised me to create virtual drive in XP, to let the program recognize that the vitual drive are the same drive as CD ROM drive. True or false? If true, how to create virtual drive? If false, any alternative solution?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to create virtual drive in XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to create virtual drive in XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Virtual Drive creator
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 6:16 PM PDT

If you Google ''How to make a virtual drive'', you will see plenty of software to help you. You may be able to find some with free trials.

I am not sure why your multimidea software needs the CD to run. This often happens with games, where the game will not run without the CD inserted, but I have not heard this with other software.

Can you say what software it is? I would have thought that the programmers would let you install the software on your machine without the need for the CD each time, and in fact would prefer you to do so. Once their software is installed, you are less likely to go searching for other similar software.

Many users of such games CD's prefer not to use their CD's each time they play the game, because of the risk of the CD degrading, and so they search the internet, (Google?), for a ''Nocd'' utility. This is a small utility, (or even a full replacement for the main .exe program), that prevents the program from looking for a CD. Whilst a nocd, (no cd) is an anti-piracy measure, I do not believe it to be illegal for legally obtained software that a user wants to employ to preserve their CD. However, obtaining them for the right software is difficult, and risky, especially if the nocd packet doesn't work as the user hopes.

Collapse -
First you create a new folder right clock on desktop
by DarCLew2 / August 16, 2006 6:25 PM PDT

Put your multimedia CD in and save that to your folder, it will say "new folder" right click the words and rename multimedia. Now is the easy part,right click start to your tree and you will C: there. Get your folder from the desktop by holding the mouse key down and drag it over C: drop it there and it is now in C: (your hard drive). If you need to update multimedia, it is located at C:\multimedia and you won't have to put in the CD. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.