Mac OS

General discussion

How to create a new folder in a external hard drive.

by arred / July 26, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

Ok, I installed aan external hard drive, for backup, I wan to save my music and pictures on the hard drive, but I wan to create a folder for each kind of data, like in windows I clik on create a new folder and that`s it, how can I do this? on mac OS,? in my external hard drive?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to create a new folder in a external hard drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to create a new folder in a external hard drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Folder on HD
by zurple07 / July 26, 2006 8:58 AM PDT

You should have an icon for your external HD on your desktop or in the sldebar. Click on it to open it and once its open right click and select new Folder.

Jim

Collapse -
Exactly the same
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 26, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

Double click on the external drive on the desktop. This should open it up.
Right Click or CTRL + click in the newly opened window and choose New Folder. Give it a name and away you go

P

Collapse -
tried that, but....
by arred / July 26, 2006 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly the same

Hey guys thanks for your answer, I did just that but I get the next options: Get info, Eject new volume, Disable Folder actions, configure folder action, and atach a folder action. I don`t get a "create new folder " option. Also I tried to drag the pictures from mi iphoto to the new hard drive and it tells me that item could not be moved because "new volume" { my external hard drive} cannot be modified. So how do I back up my data? .I formated the drive using windows could that be a problem?

Collapse -
Ahh, that's a NTFS volume?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2006 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: tried that, but....

You'll want to use a file system compatible to both operating systems.

Bob

Collapse -
should I format again?
by arred / July 26, 2006 9:22 AM PDT

So, what do I do next? How can I format the drive in the mac?

Collapse -
Or PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2006 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: should I format again?

Try some file system both OSes understand.

Collapse -
Now that all the picture is in
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 26, 2006 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: should I format again?

You can connect this drive to a PC and format it as FAT or FAT32. Both PC and Mac can read and write to that drive.
If you are not planning on using this drive with a PC, then go ahead and initialise it, using the Disk Utility, into HFS+(Journaled).
A PC cannot read/write this type of format.
The Mac cannot write, but can read, NTFS

Any help?

P

Collapse -
thanks,
by arred / July 26, 2006 9:50 AM PDT

I`ll do the same thing, I`ll format it with the Pc, becasue I know how to do it, I have no idea how to do the second option, I`m kind of mac newbie.

Collapse -
Are you going to use it with a PC as well?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 26, 2006 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks,

Instructions of how to format for Mac were in my last post.

However, if you are planning on using this disk with a PC as well as the Mac, format it on the PC.

If, as you say, you are a Mac Newbie, and you do not want to be a Mac Newbie forever, it would behoove you to stop trying to do things the Windows way on your Mac. You will be surprised how easy it is.

Attach the drive. Launch Disk Utility (in the Utility folder) Select your drive in the Left Hand window. Choose the appropriate tab in the Right Hand window and click OK. Takes about 10 seconds to initialize the disk.

By the way, is this disk USB or Firewire?

P

Collapse -
new folder on hard drive
by jillgrubb / January 18, 2013 12:21 AM PST

When I double click on the icon, it opens a huge list of things but no actual window to click on. I'm using a Mac

Collapse -
Thanks for Hijacking a 7 year old thread
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 8:19 AM PST

Would have been much better if you had created a new thread instead of dragging this one out of the depths.

When you double click on the icon that represents your external drive, and it opens a "huge list of things", I'm pretty sure that the huge list of things is in a window.

If you had read the thread, you would see that there never was a mention of clicking ON a window, rather the instruction was to click IN the window that opens. Your window happens to contain a whole bunch of things.

Right Click or Control + Click in any of that white space and choose Make New Folder

OK?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.