Networking & Wireless

General discussion

How to create a login screen for wireless network

by tinhbien / November 7, 2005 12:37 PM PST

Hi everyone,
First, I want to say that I am a very novice to wireless network. So, those who take his/her valuable time helping me, please say a little bit more details for each step. Thanks a lot.

Every time I was in the hotel, bookstore, restaraunt, etc, I can access to the wireless network to browse from there. When I click on the I.E, it pops up a welcome login screen and tells me to log in. After I login, I can browse fine. So, I think that's so cool and very secure wireless network.

I just got a Wireless Netgear Router at home and I want to do the secure wireless network like the way they do. I read thoroughly the Manual and learning something like MAC filtering, SSID, WEP, ect... But none of those is actually asking the user to enter user name and the password before he/she can access to the network. I know I may already have confused you guys. But my point is How to set up the wireless network that will ask the user for the ID and password before he/she can browse the web? Please help. Very appreciate that.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to create a login screen for wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to create a login screen for wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Modify the router
by robd003 / November 7, 2005 1:50 PM PST

You *can* do this, but it's not a trivial task. You could change the firmware on the Netgear router, but this would require some high-level knowledge of Linux. Basically you'd add NoCatNet to the system and then you'd have the cool authentication thing.

Cheers,
Rob

Links: NoCatNet, http://nocat.net/

Collapse -
Install NOCAT on your wifi server.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 8:03 PM PST
Collapse -
You don't need a login screen to be secure
by silvervein / November 10, 2005 8:18 PM PST

you didn't give the wireless router model so I'll tell you about a general security feature, WEP encoded passwords. All routers can be configured to require a password to connect. Basically the wireless software will detect the broadcasted router name but when they try to connect it will require a password. Now if password protection is all you need I suggest you go back to your router manual and learn how to enable it. And please, PLEASE, don't make it the same as the router name... I've found so many router's with that simple to hack password in New York City as I use my laptop in the parks

Now, I have a netgear WGR614v4 wireless router. Aside from the standard security feature (WEP encrypted password) it has a "cloak" feature where you can make the wireless signal only detectable to pre-set computers i.e. it doesn't broadcast the router's name. It only allows the pre-set computers (pre-set by MAC address) to recognize the wireless signal

I've had friends bring their wireless laptops and search for a signal... they can find the neighbor's signal but not mine. And if I take the "cloak" off they would still need the password to connect i.e. they have to login.

I hope this is what you want since its much easier than messing around with the firmware on your router.

Collapse -
Secure against casual users only...consider WPA.
by gregc00 / November 10, 2005 10:04 PM PST

These measures make your wireless network secure against someone randomly happening upon it and connecting. The "bad guys" can still get in no sweat.

WEP is easily crackable in a matter of minutes with programs like AirSnort...and a sniffer will easily find a non-associative SSID.

Even if you set up the router to "filter by MAC address," it's still VERY easy for someone to watch every bit of traffic you send and recieve.

WEP is better than nothing, but it's only useful to prevent casual access to your access point. If your router and cards support WPA, that would be a much better way to go.

A false sense of security is worse than none.

G

Collapse -
Create a password for BELKIN surf n300 Wireless N Router
by MontyBalboa / October 16, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

I Just want to create a password for connecting to the Net in my own PC...to be honest i use a lot of cracked software and simply don't have time to block them all.......
All i want is to create a password, So that i will be online only if i input that password. Even if my Router N PC is on....And i don't turn off my PC and WIFI....
Because right now when i turn On my WIFI router it directly connects to my PC Automatically without authentication.....i just want to change that coz i don't want to turn off my WIFI every time i leave my room...
Please Help

Collapse -
Re: password
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 6:18 AM PDT

Routers do have a password but Windows (and Linux) are kind enough to remember it for you. I don't know of any feature in Windows to turn that remembering off.

Kees

Collapse -
Are you running a public access point?
by gregc00 / November 10, 2005 10:15 PM PST

If your router and network card support it, your best bet is to set up WPA-PSK encryption. Most recent wireless systems can handle this.

Anything WEP (''Wired Equivalency Protocol'') can be easily found and compromised, within a few minutes...there's no way to protect WEP from eavesdropping. WPA is a much better way to go.

The kind of password page you're looking at is usually associated with a ''proxy'' setup. If you're setting up a ''public'' access point, it would be worth setting up a proxy and using that sort of authentication. That's a different discussion, though, and it's beyond the scope of most home and small-office systems.

G

Collapse -
Thank You
by tinhbien / November 12, 2005 2:02 PM PST

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate that. I did the research and found out the good way to secure wireless is using ZoneCD. The reason I want this is I have more than 10 users who heavily use my network. That's why I want to be able to have a centrailized control point for the wireless. So, ZoneCD is the best, I think. Check it out bro. Please give me your feedback/comments about that. Thank you.

www.publicip.com

Collapse -
And thank you too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2005 2:13 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You

ZoneCD is great stuff. Sorry I didn't note it but my mind was full.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.