Linux forum

Question

How to create a cache server to caching downloaded files (wi

by nicolas13902 / March 27, 2013 6:45 PM PDT

Hello to all friends.
How can I install cache server for caching downloaded files ?

I try use Squid for it.
but it's not working properly.
Squid can caching downloaded files when download the file without Download Managers.(Like IDM)

When I use a Download Manager , Squid can't cache the downloaded file. ( Max connections number in IDM = 16)

Please help me , How can I cache downloaded file , when download file with IDM and multi connection mode (max connections number = 16 or Cool

Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to create a cache server to caching downloaded files (wi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to create a cache server to caching downloaded files (wi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Squid
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 6:52 PM PDT

If no program does what you want, you need to write your own program. The nice thing with open source programs like squid: you can change it to your needs so you've got a good starting point.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
What a brew you have there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

Since it appears that SQUID works when you don't use the IDM, you have solved this one!

Now, that it's solved, why not go use it?
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by nicolas13902 / March 28, 2013 3:03 AM PDT

Thanks.
I am forced to use only the IDM (with 16 connection number).

Collapse -
Re: IDM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I don't know IDM, but doesn't it have a setting somewhere to specify the number of connections to use? Then if you set that to 1, does it work?

Unclear why you are forced to use 16 and to use your own cache.

Kees

Collapse -
Forced?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 8:12 AM PDT

Sorry but here at the office no one forces use of IDM. The stock browsers work fine without it.

Maybe there is more to this story but so far it's unconvincing.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by nicolas13902 / March 28, 2013 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Forced?

Thanks again.

My download speed is 500 KB/s (When I'm downloading files without Internet Download Manager).
If I use the IDM (Or any other Internet Download Manager) and set the connections number to 16 , increase my download speed to 800 KB/s.

I want to downloading files with 800 KB/s speed.

If I set the connections number to 1 , Squid or Polipo cache is working properly , but my download speed decrease to 500 KB/s.
And if I set the connections number to 16 or any number that's greater than 1 , cache not working properly.

My cache server only use with Internet Download Manager and it's not set in the web browsers.

Collapse -
So you'e to choose:
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

1. 500 KB/s, cache in your proxy
2. 800 KB/s, no cache in your proxy

Since you generally access the file you downloaded on the PC you downloaded it on, I don't see the need to have a copy at the proxy also. That only serves to speed up future download access, which you won't use. So my choice would be #2.

By the way, don't you think there's a difference between "I want" and "I'm forced to"? It seems clear that nobody at all forces you, you only force yourself to want something impossible.

Kees

Collapse -
I have 10 clients.
by nicolas13902 / March 28, 2013 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: So you'e to choose:

Thanks , but I have 10 clients.

For example :
One client downloaded this file : " http://mydomain.com/myfile.zip".
1 hours later , another client downloading this file again !
Maybe another client downloading this file ("http://mydomain.com/myfile.zip") 1 day later !

Collapse -
Who cares?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I have 10 clients.

You sell your clients 500 KB/s. Then they can't complain if it isn't 800 KB/s.

And with zillions of different files to load, how big is the chance that one of them will be downloading the same file as somebody else did in a few days?

Kees

Collapse -
No !
by nicolas13902 / March 28, 2013 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Who cares?

My clients usually use one site for downloading movie and one site for downloading software and ...

In one week , many of downloaded files are duplicate ( with similar download's links).

No !
I'm really forced to provide 800 KB/s for my clients Plain

Why Squid or Polipo or any other cache server can not caching files when downloading with multi connections ?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Now we're back to Kees open source comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2013 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: No !
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.