Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

How to copy music from computer to flash drive

by hearrean / November 25, 2010 10:38 PM PST

Really a novice here when it comes to this, so I need some help. I am using Quintessential Music Player to organize & play my MP3's. What I am trying to do is to simply copy my music (MP3's) over to a flash drive. I want to be able to do this directly from the QMP's song list instead of from the directory where they are stored on my computer. The reason for that is that when I look at these music files which are stored under My Documents > My Music, half of my songs only show the song title, not the artist or the album title. I want all of that to show in my car when I'm playing them. IN QMP, when I look at it's songs list, everything about that song shows & I want the same thing on my flash drive. Can someone help me here?

Thanks,
Ken

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to copy music from computer to flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to copy music from computer to flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: copy music to flash drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 10:48 PM PST

There's a rather good chance that the info on artist and title is stored in the file itself. Then your mp3-player might be able to show them. Album is more difficult, because it's not a property of the mp3-file: a certain track can be sold in different albums.

So just try what works and what doesn't work when you copy from the directory.

The structure of a library, alas, isn't standard. So probably you would need to install a copy of QMP in your car audio installation to be able to read it. That doesn't seem very practical. What does the manual of that installation say about the possibilities of organizing your music on a stick?

A better way might be to switch to iTunes and iPods. Those are synchronized. Then you need a car audio you can plug your iPod in to have that information shown.

Kees

Collapse -
Add'l info
by hearrean / November 25, 2010 11:58 PM PST

Well, I already tried playing the songs that I had copied from my hard drive (where my music is stored). And just like I thought, when the song plays, the display in my car only shows the song title; and then it shows artist "unknown." Pretty much like it shows in my hard drive directory. That's why I was hoping I could simply copy directly from QMP's song list (which does show all this info). I haven't tried doing that yet, but just wanted to see if it was possible to do so before I actually did it.

Ken

Collapse -
Add'l info
by hearrean / November 26, 2010 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Add'l info

Some of my music files on my hard drive show songs in the following manner;
30_-_everybreathyoutake_-_take_me_home
while the ones that just show the title show this;
06 LaGrange

The 1st one I listed when played, will show the song & artist whereas the last one just shows the song title & says artist unknown. So it looks like all my files that show up like the last one need to have the entire info like the 1st one listed. Does that mean that I have to re-name everyone that only shows the title to look like the 1st one?

Ken

Collapse -
Re: renaming
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 26, 2010 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Add'l info

I don't think that will work. But it's very easy to try. So better do it and tell us, then ask us.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.