Audio & Video Software

General discussion

How to copy big avi files to external hard drive?

by bmmw7 / October 3, 2007 8:19 AM PDT

I am doing some video editing on my laptop (Vista). I'd transferred videos from handycam to laptop, now the hard disk is full. I need more space for editing and burning. I tried to move some Avi files (12-14GB) to an external hard drive that still has over than 100GB space available. It said "The file is too large for the destination file system." I searched answer online, I'd tried: convert E(drive letter): /fs:ntfs Still it didn't work. Another problem is that my DVD burner stopped working few days ago. My laptop doesn't recognize external DVD burner either when I plugged it in. The laptop manufacture suggested full factory recovery. So, I really need to move those files from this laptop or I'll lose them. Does anyone know the trick? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to copy big avi files to external hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to copy big avi files to external hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) That drive is formatted in FAT32. You want NTFS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2007 8:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
the /nosecurity makes a difference
by bmmw7 / October 12, 2007 5:17 AM PDT

Thanks for the info.
First I used right click on MY COMPUTER - Manage - Disk Management - Delete Partition, and it caused an error (blue screen - dump of physical memory). After restarting, my computer didn't show the external HD drive, but it was there (without drive letter) when I open SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE. I had to reformat to FAT32 (got the file from the manufacture website, Western Digital), then finally I was able to convert it using:
convert driveletter: /fs:ntfs /nosecurity
I got from: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheDuhFilesTheFileIsTooLargeForTheDestinationFileSystem.aspx
I guess the /nosecurity command makes a difference.
I also found out Maxtor & Seagate FreeAgent brands are NTFS, but Western Digital is FAT32.

Collapse -
Moving the Big Files
by kdubbiu11 / October 24, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

Did you ever figure out how to move the big .avi files? I am in the same boat as you. I captured my large video file to my computer's hard drive, but when I tried to move the file to my external hard drive, it said I did not have enough room on my computer to move the file. The external hard drive I am moving it to have over 200 GB of memory, so it must be referring to my desktop computer, but I didn't think I would need room on it to remove the file. The file is like 13 GB, and I now only have like 2 GB of free memory. Does anyone know what I can do?

I also have another question that is closely related. I was just wondering if anyone knew a good video compressor. I captured one hour of footage from my Sony video camera and the file was over 13 GB. I was just wondering if there was a way to compress it into a different type of file (smaller) without losing too much quality. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
moving your big files
by bmmw7 / October 25, 2007 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Moving the Big Files

Kdubbiu11,
you have to change your external HD system to NTSF.
Please go to: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheDuhFilesTheFileIsTooLargeForTheDestinationFileSystem.aspx

Follow the instruction:
Run an Administrator Console (click the Start Menu, type cmd, then right click on the command prompt and click "Run As Administrator") then run:
C:\Users\Scott>convert h: /fs:ntfs /nosecurity
Replace:
Scott -> name on your computer
h: -> the drive letter where your external HD is

After you type that command, just wait. You might not see any progress on the screen, but it's working.
Then you'll see the rest of the information.
It will take a while until you see: Conversion complete.

I don't know about video compressor, but if this works, it shouldn't be a problem anymore for you.
Good luck!

Collapse -
NTFS formatting the cure to the problem
by nickdahmes / April 10, 2010 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: moving your big files

But what if i need the hard drive to be formatted Fat32?
THEN what is the solution to the problem?

Collapse -
Then the answer is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2010 11:58 PM PDT

Dictated by the FAT32 choice. FAT32 limits file sizes to 4GB so all files must be that or smaller.
Bob

Collapse -
what if i need the hard drive to be formatted Fat32?
by girltroll / May 25, 2010 5:51 AM PDT

Partition it. You can find some free programs out there that'll separate the hard drive into several. You can then format them separately however you want.

Collapse -
Re: FAT32
by Kees Bakker / May 25, 2010 5:58 AM PDT

I agree with the above poster that having 2 partitions on the drive (one NTFS for the really BIG files, one FAT for all other) might be a good solution.

If you use that disk only to MOVE the file to another destination and not to PLAY the file from it, you can consider using a file splitter (many freeware ones available, many that don't buffer should work, if their internal byte counter is big enough) to split the file in 3 or 4 smaller ones that fit on your FAT32 partition and glue them together at the receiving side.

Kees

Collapse -
I got your solution
by Frozen Pulse / August 25, 2010 12:34 PM PDT

theres a progrma called xilisoft converter. It splits any sort of media file into whatever proportion you want them to be in meaning nothing involving your external will take place except for copying the final files. For more information pm me and ill hook you up with the program.

Collapse -
help with xilisoft converter?
by abenko / December 10, 2010 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: I got your solution

Hi, could you hook me up with xilisoft converter?

tx
alexbenko@hotmail.com

tx
tx

Collapse -
Conversion
by ShadowOps505 / April 9, 2011 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: moving your big files

I tried this, and it resulted in, "Conversion could not be completed." I have a Vista.. Uhm... The file I want to be transferred onto a Verbatim 1Tb external H.D. is 13 Gb. (I already know the limitations of FAT32, and want NTFS, obviously..) I waswondering if you could help me..?

Collapse -
If you don't have any file on the harddrive then...
by ahtoi / April 9, 2011 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Conversion

it's very easy to change FAT32 to NTFS. Windows can do this for you, BUT REMEMBER, it WILL destroy all files on that harddrive. So be careful you don't pick the wrong one for reformating...and be sure to backup the files first. Good luck.

To format a harddrive: right-click on the harddrive then select format, then ntfs file system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.