Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

How to copy all jpg files to a flash drive before reformatti

by ripcordcooper / April 28, 2013 5:22 PM PDT

I have an internet friend that only knows how to email and work a browser. His old Dell machine that he has been using for 5 or 6 years, with Win XP Home/service pack 3, is just limping along. I told him that he needs to do a reinstall and will lose everything that he has put on it. He read off the discs that came with it and it looks like he has what he needs to do it.
He wants to save his pictures but has no idea where they are on his hard drive. He doesn't even know what Windows Explorer is.
I was wondering if there is an easy way to just copy all .jpg files to a USB flash drive, walk him through the reinstall and then let him plug the flash drive back in and sort through them and copy and keep what he wants. What would be the best way for me to help him do that?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to copy all jpg files to a flash drive before reformatti
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to copy all jpg files to a flash drive before reformatti
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The best way ....
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 5:26 PM PDT

is to visit him and do it yourself. The next best way is to install a program like teamviewer or logmein, so you can log in and do it remotely.

Kees

Collapse -
I wish I could but too far away
by ripcordcooper / April 29, 2013 4:50 PM PDT
In reply to: The best way ....

You are a 100% correct but unfortunately, I'm in California and he is in South Carolina.

Collapse -
Remote then.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 7:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Installation would be over his head
by ripcordcooper / April 30, 2013 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Remote then.

Thanks for the tip on the programs but I don't think he could handle it. I guess I'll give him another call and see if we can't get him to do the copy/paste or drag and drop thing.
He just keeps minimizing windows and opening up new ones.

I sure wouldn't want him to be the passenger on the plane who takes the controls, and gets talked down by the control tower, after the pilot died of a heart attack.

Thanks, everybody, for all the replies.

Collapse -
Answer
Or Do A Search, Copy, and Paste
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 2:50 AM PDT

Step by Step: (This will copy ALL of the .jpg files from the computer to the flash drive.)

First, place the flash drive in the USB port and open the flash drive so you see the blank drive. Leave it open.

Next, start the file search by clicking on Start-Search, then select the "All Files and Folders" link on the left side of the window. When that opens, make sure the "C:" drive is displayed in the "Look In" line. (or if multiple drives, choose the correct drive combination.) Next, select the "More advanced options" line and place a CHECK mark in the "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search Subfolders". When that's done, type "*.jpg" ("asterisk dot jpg" without the quotes) in the "All or part of the name" line at the top. Once that's done, click on the "Search" button and let the computer find all of the .jpg files..

Once done, click once on the very first file found, and while holding down the "Shift" key, scroll down to the very last .jpg file listed and click on it.. All the files will be highlighted.. Now click on "Edit" in the upper left, choose "Copy".. Then click on the open flash drive window to the front, RIGHT click on a blank area in the flash drive window, choose "Paste".. All of the files will be copied to the flash drive.. Once done, close the Search window and if wanted, weed out any of the unneeded files from the flash drive.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I only wish he could do what would be needed on his end
by ripcordcooper / April 29, 2013 5:24 PM PDT

I pretty much only know him as an email swapper. Every once in a while we exchange a personal thing or two. He seems nice, 75 years old, and knows nothing about computers. I finally gave him my phone number and he called me last Saturday.
I spent over three hours trying to get him to figure out how to use Windows Explorer and see where his USB flash drive is and how to copy to it.

I had him download and install my favorite drive searcher program, "Search Everything". I told him to punch in "*.jpg" and bring up all of his photos, and of course all jpegs on the whole machine. I then tried to teach him how to bring up Windows Explorer and a half an hour later got him to be able to resize the windows to be able to have them side by side.

I tried to tell him to click on the first, hold down the shift key, and click on the last and then drag and drop it onto the flash drive icon.
To make a long story short, he kept minimizing the programs and instead of just maximizing them, he would start another instance of them and then tell me the *.jpg is missing". I found myself wishing I had a Valium and a beer or two.

So, it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to teach him how to use Windows for this proposed exploit.
Using the Command prompt ..... Is there a way that you would deal with this problem .... or would you just say something like. "I think you need to seek professional help"?

No good deed goes unpunished.

Collapse -
I Send Them My Specific Instructions..Then...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 1, 2013 4:27 AM PDT

...while I'm on the telephone with them, and with the instructions in front of both of us, I walk them through.. one step at a time..

I've had employees which are much the same way... Some are unable to login to the computer because they can't remember their own password, or they can't type at all.. In those cases, I first write up the instructions, make sure they're correct, then I send them the instructions though email, have them open the email, and I walk them through the instructions, one click at a time. I talk them through it, while performing the same steps on my computer so I can ask them what they are "seeing" after each click.. Yep, it can take a long time to get the job done, but it usually works.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Copy of JPGs done, now needs to do restore with discs
by ripcordcooper / May 1, 2013 9:33 AM PDT

Your way sounds good. One problem is that I have XP Pro and he has XP Home and I also have mine set up as "Classic Windows". Anyway, he called his son and they managed to get it done. Now he needs to run the Dell system restore discs and add drivers and such. That's a whole new can of worms.

He has another machine with Win 7 that he doesn't like. I asked him if he could use that if he has problems with the restore.
He replied that he would have to call his server and ask if he could do that without being charged more.
I tried to explain to him that it's no different than switching TVs that are hooked up to your cable box. He said that he wouldn't know how to do that anyway. He has a DVD player that he hasn't used since he moved, because he doesn't know how to hook it up.

Collapse -
(NT) Dell's Instructions Will Work For The Recovery Discs
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2013 4:43 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.