Mac Applications forum

How to convert from MP3 to CD format?

by fosterpapillon / July 16, 2012 2:00 PM PDT

I have several talking books in MP3 format which I want to play in my car whose CD player doesn't play MP3s. I've been using Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate to convert them to AIFF but they still don't play.

Is there a better format to use? What about the role of codecs (about which I know nothing and understand less)?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to convert from MP3 to CD format?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to convert from MP3 to CD format?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
One hesitates to ask, but,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 9:54 PM PDT

does the CD player in your car play other CD's?

Collapse -
CD player in car is OK
by fosterpapillon / July 17, 2012 9:34 AM PDT

Yep, I've also tried my test outputs on two other working players - no success.

All Answers

Collapse -
Assuming you are using iTunes,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 9:54 PM PDT

have you tried burning them to CD using iTunes?

It does a good job of converting MP3 files to AIFF and burning?

Just asking

Collapse -
I hadn't thought of that, but ...
by fosterpapillon / July 17, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

... that way, I don't know what size the output files will be until I've burned them. I really would like to convert them on the Mac and then, on the basis of size and other factors, burn them to CD. Surely this must be possible?

Collapse -
iTunes will tell you if there is not enough room
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 17, 2012 10:56 AM PDT

on the disc.

However, try this.

In iTunes Preferences, under General, you should find an option marked "Import Settings", Click it.

In the next window, on the "Import Using" line, use the drop down menu to choose AIFF.

OK and OK to leave the Preferences.

Now select one of the MP3 Audio tracks and Right Click.
One of the options will be "Create an AIFF Version"
Click it and iTunes will make a copy of the original as an AIFF track while leaving the original MP3 intact.

Now you can tell how large the file is.

Collapse -
I've done that but ...
by fosterpapillon / July 17, 2012 4:35 PM PDT

... I don't get the option to Create an AIFF version. Other than Open, Trash, etc, I get Compress,Burn to Disc, Quick Look and Copy (which copies as an MP3).

Using File->Library->Import Playlist, an MP3 imports as an MP#, not AIFF>

The Import Settings button is next to the When I Insert a CD button - perhaps those settings apply only to data on a CD?

I have iTunes 10.6.3, running in OS 10.7.4

Collapse -
Then you have not done that!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 17, 2012 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: I've done that but ...

the reason you are getting those results is because you have the Import settings set for MP3.

Go back to the preferences and choose AIFF as the import setting, as described in my last post, and you will then get the option of converting to AIFF.

The setting applies to whatever you import but, in this case, you are not going to import anything. What you are doing is setting the Import decoder/encoder to AIFF which will allow the conversion of any track you have in your library.

Try again

Collapse -
I really have done it!
by fosterpapillon / July 18, 2012 9:00 AM PDT

That was my initial thought too but, I checked and it's set to Import Using: AIFF Encoder and Setting: Automatic. The settings were still there when I booted up this morning and I still have no right-click option to import. I've tried other import option settings in iTunes Preferences and none of them registers.

What I'd really, really like is a piece of software that reliably converts to a CD-playable format. Is there not a single one? Even for money?

Collapse -
You are not trying to Import anything.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: I really have done it!

the MP3 tracks are already in your iTunes library.

Single click on of the MP3 files so that it is highlighted.
Right Click the mouse and you should get a long list of things you can do. If your mouse is not configured for Right Clicking, hold down the Control key and just click the mouse.
Alternatively, highlight the track, go to Advance in the Menubar and select Create AIFF version.
It's the 5th option in the list.

How now?

Collapse -
Well, they weren't in iTunes but ...
by fosterpapillon / July 19, 2012 5:37 PM PDT

... I put one in there and, yes, a right-click gave the option to save as an AIFF file. I did this, dragged the file (extension is .aif) to the desktop and burned it to a CD. Sadly, it won't play in any of my CD players.

I then put the test file in a playlist in iTunes and chose File->Burn Playlist to Disc, selecting audio disc as the output option. That one played on my more modern CD player (which also plays MP3s) but not on the car player.

Your later post says, "There are lots of pieces of software that do this". Could I please have the names of a few of them?

Collapse -
Google is your friend here,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 19, 2012 9:51 PM PDT

but could it be possible that your car player is less than stellar?

"Audio conversion for Mac OS X" would be the Google way to go

Collapse -
It's not a new player ...
by fosterpapillon / July 20, 2012 9:25 AM PDT

... the car is about five years old but it plays all conventional CDs quite well.

I'll go back to searching the web. Thanks for your time and interest.

Collapse -
There are lots of pieces of software that does this
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 18, 2012 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: I really have done it!

the point here is that you already have that functionality in the software you are using.

Your hang up appears to be that you will not know the size of the AIFF file before burning it to a CD.

That's not important here as iTunes will indicate whether you have put too much in the playlist to be burned on one CD

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.