Camcorders forum

General discussion

How to convert .cpi files for editing in iMovie?

by macnoobie / March 19, 2010 10:48 PM PDT

I've just purchased a Sony HDRXR150 (internal HD) and am trying to work out how to download the files to my iMac for editing. Plugged it in and unlike my old Sony miniDV model, the files are not recognised (greyed out) by iMovie and iMovie does not open at all. The Imac recognises the Sony HD in the camera though but nothing else.
Do I need to upgrade my OS, iLife or would another editing software be able to do the conversion? I've been looking at reviews and things seem to point towards Macs not being able to effectively deal with tapeless camcorders Sad
Any advice is much appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to convert .cpi files for editing in iMovie?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to convert .cpi files for editing in iMovie?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is a bit of a challenge to know what you need
by boya84 / March 20, 2010 2:29 AM PDT

if we don't know what you have.

What version OSX? What version iMovie?

Did you check the compatibility list?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290

There are many tapeless camcorders on that list. I don't see yours - but there could be others reasons for that omission (like it has not yet been tested; issues with the NTFS format used by the camcorder). For what its worth, AVCHD/MTS files compatibility has challenges with other operating systems, too.

The Camcorder's Operating Guide
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HDRCX110_EN_ES.pdf
directs you to
http://guide.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/mac/ms/us/
and has instructions ONLY for connecting the memory card...

Are you willing to spend any $ to get this to work?

The AVCHD compressed video files are typically "MTS" or "TOD" files. A "CPI" file sounds like a "housekeeping" index file" that the camcorder uses to keep track of what is on it's hard drive - the Mac doesn't need that...

Collapse -
Any luck converting CPI files?
by LisiPeach / March 22, 2011 7:59 PM PDT

Hiya Macnoobie - your page came up on a search I was doing for converting CPI files. I see this post is about a year old, but I'm hoping you've had some luck since then...

I'm thinking it might be a Sony vs Mac thing to be honest. We've just got the Sony HXR-MC50 HD camera which is a real beauty, but I just can't seem to get the files onto my macbook for editing. I got it right the first time, just opened iMovie and imported from camera archive and all was well in the land. Until I tried to offline the next lot but the file type (CPI) is not supported nor recognised and everything is greyed out. I've tried a few file converter downloads, but nothing seems to be working at all. Really frustrating considering the Sony chap said it wouldn't be a problem with mac...

If you've found a solution, I'd really appreciate your advice and direction. I've just learnt to spell mac so I'm a real baby when it comes to all the jargon. I might ask you to draw me a picture... (", I don't know what to tell you as far as my system info goes, other than I have a macbook and something about Mac OS Extended and Macintosh HD...

Looking forward to hearing from you
L

Collapse -
There is no reason
by boya84 / March 22, 2011 10:51 PM PDT

to do anything with the CPI file. It is a camcorder housekeeping file that keeps track of the video and still files and provides the pointers for the camcorder's playback capability. The high definition video files have a ".MTX" suffix.

iMovie can deal with the files the way you dealt with them the first time if the camcorder is connected to the Mac for the Capture. If you copied the files to the Mac and do not have to camcorder connected to the computer, then you will need to transcode the files to a format iMovie can deal with.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/mpegstreamclip.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.