TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

How to connect (wired setup) Sony Blue ray player to DSL

by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 6:05 AM PST

I am trying to connect my new Sony blue ray player BDP-BX37.

1) Have AT&T DSL 2Wire wireless modem which also has about 4 wired connection ports. I am used three port for 2 desktops and one laptop.
2) Have connected blue ray player to another port in the 2Wire router/modem.

3) When I switch on the Blue ray and go to "Internet Settings" I tried "Auto" and "Custom" but in both the cases it says internet access falied. Physical connection is ok.

4) I called Sony and they made me do reboot, unplugging etc and in the end said that my router was causing the issue.

5) When I called AT&T they just refused to even look at saying
your internet connection is fine and we don't support other devices :(.

If anyone has done wired internet setup with Sony BDP-BX37 then can you share your thoughts?

Just want to try before returning the player.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect (wired setup) Sony Blue ray player to DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect (wired setup) Sony Blue ray player to DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The next test
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 6:13 AM PST

Is to unplug the end that goes to the Sony BR and plug that into some laptop. If that works then that's a pass. However I find that to often fail.

Now we fix that.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: The next test
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: The next test

I tried that but but got the same error message.

Robin

Collapse -
So that proves ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Re: The next test

it's not the Sony, but the router or connection. Because another laptop doesn't work either using the same cable and the same port on the router as the Sony. Now, as Bob says, fix that first.

Things to try:
- other cable
- other port on router
- router settings (for example: MAC-filtering)
- laptop settings (unlikely, as there are no settings needed to connect wired)

Kees

Collapse -
Re: So that proves
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: So that proves ...

Sorry my previous reply was wrong. I meant that the Desktop and Laptop work fine when I connect them to any of the available 4 ports (wired ones).

Robin

Collapse -
. I meant that the Desktop and Laptop work fine when I conne
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re: So that proves

And that's not the test required. We must unplug the end that is at the BR player and put that into a laptop or desktop for the test.

The test must be done exactly or you won't know where the trouble is.

Then again you could have had bad advice about MAC filtering but your post notes nothing about that so I'm working as if the setup is stock.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: And that's not the test required.
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 7:08 AM PST

Ok I unplugged the end at BD and put it to laptop, and the laptop is fine. I mean I can connect to the internet.
And the hardware address in the router shows:

Hardware Address: 54:42:49:b7:7f:3c
which is also same in the BD player.

Robin

Collapse -
Then again you could have had bad advice about MAC filterin
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 7:14 AM PST

Then again you could have had bad advice about MAC filtering but your post notes nothing about that so I'm working as if the setup is stock.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: So that proves
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re: So that proves

One more thing I see in the network status (of the blue ray player)is that the IP address and subnet are different than what my router shows.

In my router I have DHCP enabled checked and the starting address is 192.168.1.xx and ending 192.168.1.xx. I would expect the blue ray to show IP address something in between. But it is showing 169.254.32.237 and subnet mask as 255.255.0.0

Robin

Collapse -
GETTING I PLAYER ETC WORKING ON YOUR SONY BLUERAY PLAYER.
by DAJB135335 / February 17, 2012 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: The next test

If your experiencing network error messages when you try i player.....
1st update in network settings firmware...
2nd if you get error messages phone your network provider.
you have a connetion as you have updated,you need to ask them to change the channel on your router.I thnk it goes from 1-11...I was told the best is 8.
please let me knw if this helps....Dan

Collapse -
Re: player to router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 6:14 AM PST

One thing to try: use the cable and port that's now used by the laptop. Just get the cable out of the laptop and into the Sony. Does that work, or does it give the same error?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: One thing to try:
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re: player to router

I tried that same error.

Robin

Collapse -
Do you
by givemeaname / December 4, 2010 6:19 AM PST

Have security setup on the 2wire? If so that is the problem, you have to enter the password used to long on & set IP address to dynamic, this is in the BD player network setup area.

Collapse -
Re: Do You
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Do you

1) When you say log on.. you mean to the router or blue ray?
2) And I did see any logon in the BD network setup.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: Do You
by rpinjala / December 4, 2010 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Do You

Sorry I meant I did not see any logon in the BD network setup.

Collapse -
This is on the BD side
by givemeaname / December 4, 2010 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Do You

I looked up the manuel online, page 26 the network setup is a joke & no help, my panasonic network setup takes up 2 full pages...
Give me a few minutes I need to find the 2wire IP address.

Collapse -
OK this should help
by givemeaname / December 4, 2010 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: This is on the BD side
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/490231-default-ip-2wire-router.html

There are more then one 2wires so not knowing what year/model you have I can not give the exact router IP address, see post # 6 has the different versions with the info you need, you would input the info in custom or manuel network setup, whatever Sony calls it since it does not say in their own manuel, this is all on the blu ray player side.
I through out my 2wire (AT&T) 5-6 years ago after it died 2 weeks after the warranty expired on it, I went with cisco router & speed stream modem.
Collapse -
Found answer in another thread
by jonkam / April 26, 2012 2:56 PM PDT

The question initially went up over a year ago...
Since I found what worked for me and don't see that answer here, I'll post it.

On your 2Wire Firewall advanced settings, uncheck packet flood. For some stupid reason Sony firmware needs ICMP to stream media, and that takes care of it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.