Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

how to connect two routers wirelessly

by jon52482 / April 26, 2009 7:26 AM PDT

I want to connect 2 netgear routers together using the wireless so that one (downstairs) can share the internet to the other (upstairs) without running a cable. I have a netgear WNDR3300 it is the rangemax dual band wireless-N Router and the other one that is connected to the net as the main router is the WPN824 Range max wireless router (earlier version of the perviously mentioned router). I would prefer to do this without reflashing firmwares or anything like but I am willing to if there is no valid config for these 2 routers. I am new to forums but figured I would try my luck instead of figuring it out the hard way. Any help is appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to connect two routers wirelessly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to connect two routers wirelessly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need is a repeater
by Steven Haninger / April 26, 2009 10:02 AM PDT

or a router that can act as one. I don't know if either of the models you mention will do such but routers don't work that way normally.

Collapse -
Wireless Distribution System
by fihart / April 26, 2009 10:04 PM PDT

One or both routers need to support WDS -- check specs on Netgear site -- and/or post your query on their forum.

Collapse -
WDS
by rmperd / April 27, 2009 5:50 AM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

This where one router is used as a repeater to the main router. If you find that your router do not support this feature by default, you can try DD-WRt http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices check here to see if your router is supported. This firmware is worth the risk since u can also increase your router's antenna power to extend range n ensure a good connection. There is also alot of other fancy features available so strongly consider it.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.