TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to connect receiver to TV

by Hurley9one6 / August 12, 2005 7:39 AM PDT

Hey guys, i recently bought a 30" Philips Widescreen HDTV from wal-mart, can't find much specs online for it. It has component video inputs, s-video, HDMI.
Well anyway i need to hook up my receiver to it so that the TV plays sound as well as my two speakers that are hooked up to my receiver.

Here are pics of the back of my tv
These 2 go together
http://hsdesign.perception.net/hs/new/0812051623a.jpg
http://hsdesign.perception.net/hs/new/0812051635.jpg
These 2 go together
http://hsdesign.perception.net/hs/new/0812051623.jpg
http://hsdesign.perception.net/hs/new/0812051635a.jpg

And here is a pic of the back of my receiver
http://hsdesign.perception.net/hs/new/0812051622.jpg

I've tried many ways...but can't seem to get it to work, if you could help...that would be awesome.
If you need any other pics or information just ask.
Thanks

P.S. If you can fix that...try this too..i have a DVD player also that i would like to hook up to the receiver too.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect receiver to TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect receiver to TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
got dvd player working
by Hurley9one6 / August 12, 2005 7:54 AM PDT

Okay...well i got the dvd player to work...but im mainly focusing on getting the tv to work...for the dvd player i hooked audio cables up to ''CD'' input on the receiver to the audio output on the dvd player. I have no audio output on my TV.

Collapse -
I need more info
by madjik9 / August 12, 2005 9:06 AM PDT

I have a lot of questions.
Are you trying to connect the tv directly to the audio reciever?
I know you have 2 speakers hookeded up to the reciever, do you plan to add more for surround sound?
Is it a digital reciever? I ask because I want to know if it accepts optical and/or digital coax cables.
Is the DVD player your only source? Do you also have a cable box/dish reciever box or similar? Or do you have just basic cable without the box?
Does the DVD player or the cable/sat box (if applicable) have HDMI or DVI output?
There could be multiple ways of hooking things up, but only one is best.

Collapse -
Answers
by Hurley9one6 / August 12, 2005 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: I need more info

ANSWERS ARE IN CAPS

Are you trying to connect the tv directly to the audio reciever?

YES

I know you have 2 speakers hookeded up to the reciever, do you plan to add more for surround sound?

NO, I AM IN COLLEGE ON A BIG BUDGET SO I AM USING MY PARENTS RECEIVER WHICH ONLY SUPPORTS 2 SPEAKERS

Is it a digital reciever? I ask because I want to know if it accepts optical and/or digital coax cables.

IT DOES NOT, THE PICTURE I SUPPLIED IS ALL IT HAS.

Is the DVD player your only source? Do you also have a cable box/dish reciever box or similar? Or do you have just basic cable without the box?

I DONT HAVE A CABLE BOX, JUST STANDARD CABLE. THE DVD PLAYER REALLY DOESN'T NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BECAUSE I FIGURED OUT HOW IT WORKS (AUDIO WISE)

Does the DVD player or the cable/sat box (if applicable) have HDMI or DVI output?

DVD PLAYER=NO CABLE BOX=N/A

Thanks again for your help...i won't be around for another 6-7 hours in case you are looking for a reply...thank you

Collapse -
More help
by madjik9 / August 12, 2005 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers

Since you don't use a cable box or similar, you are depending on your TV's tuner to give you audio information from basic cable. Most TV's that have a 2-channel audio output make you choose between that output and the speakers that are built into the television, i.e. you can't listen to TV speakers and external speakers at the same time. In the TV's onscreen menu, you'll need to toggle back and forth depending on what you want.

Collapse -
DVD Help
by madjik9 / August 12, 2005 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers

If the reciever was digital, you could hook the dvd's digital output to it, and then the dvd's analog output to the tv. However, some dvd players only let you output one of the two signals at a time. It is a choice that is made in the dvd players' menu.
Since you only have analog inputs on both the tv and receiver, the only way to get sound from both at the same time is a composite "Y" cable to split the signal. Kinda bush league, but it works.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Hurley9one6 / August 12, 2005 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD Help

Thanks for the help...so i guess i will only be able to get the speakers to work with my dvd's and ps2 games...but to get the ps2 ones to work...is there any kind of extenders or something that i could connect to my ps2 audio cables (i have the component video cables for my ps2 and the video and audio cables are all connected so you can't reach the audio cables to the receiver)
if there are any extenders that exist, please let me know.
Thanks.

Collapse -
extensions
by madjik9 / August 13, 2005 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Yes, drop by your local radioshack. Ask for a stereo composite coupler, and a stereo composite patch cord, available in many lengths.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.