Computer Help

General discussion

How to connect PC to TV using RGB

by mauioldfart / September 5, 2009 1:36 PM PDT

I have a ASUS F3F running MS Vista Home Premium. I bought a Vizio 22" TV and connected my laptop to it to watch vids etc using RGB. It worked great for about 6 months then 6 weeks ago I went on a trip and took my comp with me. When I hooked it back up I cant get it to work. Somehow the info on what to do to the PC that was stored in my 74 year old brain can't be recovered. Can anyone help me? I tried the FN-F4 procedure but all I get is Real Player.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect PC to TV using RGB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect PC to TV using RGB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There isn't an RGB output on that model
by ChuckT / September 6, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

I just checked the User's Manual for the ASUS F3F, and there are three types of external video connections.
S-Video: a small round connector with 4 to 7 pins.
DVI: a rectangular plug with 18 to 24 pins arranged in three fairly straightly aligned rows; or
VGA: a 15 pin "D shell" type of connector. The pins are in 3 staggered rows.

The connector you use may affect the method you use to enable it. The connector you have been using may have gone bad, so try another type of connection. Many new TVs have two or even all three of those three connections.

Also, according to the documentation, to switch between monitor modes you use the <Fn>+<F8> key.
If you look closely at the faint blue icons on those F-keys you will see a small [LCD]/( ) (two types of monitors separated by a "slash") to remind you what the blue <Fn> function is for.
The manual also reminds you to connect the external monitor BEFORE turning power on. (Probably for equipment safety, but it might be that the port being used is tested at startup, so if it is not there at startup then it may not get enabled later.)

Good luck.

Collapse -
RGB problem
by mauibill / September 10, 2009 6:14 AM PDT

Thanks Chuck - You are correct. I called it RGB because that is what came up on the TV. Anyway I used the F-N, F8 and it now works perfectly. Thanks again.

Collapse -
WMC
by jeff_windows_team / September 10, 2009 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: RGB problem

Glad you got it working. Have you tried Windows Media Center yet?

Mahalo!

Collapse -
Laptop to PC via RGB cable
by symbolicjas / April 20, 2010 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: WMC

I have a dell vostro 1000 laptop with a VGA out and I am connecting it to my Sony Trinitron TV using the VGA to RGB cable. is it possible to do it? if so can you explain me how?

thanks

Collapse -
RGB
by MEBEMOMOF7 / September 24, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

HOW DO I GET THE CABLE TO WORK?I HAVE CONNECTED THE CABLE BETWEEN THE TV & LAPTOP AND CHANGED THE TV OUTPUT TO RGB.HELP

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.