TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to connect home theater with cable box and Sony Bravia

by HDRockerCgirl / November 28, 2009 1:14 PM PST

I have a Sony Bravia TV mounted on the wall with a comcast digital cable box already connected. (works fine) I want to connect Sony HDX678WF home theater. If I purchase an HDMI cable, is that the only cable I need to play the 5 Disc changer/DVD and the tv thru the surround sound system? The directions say to connect a component video cord, blue, green, red to the video in on the back of the receiver. Link to manual- DAV-HDX678WF
If I unplug it from the back of the digital cable box (because the other end of it is plugged into the back of TV which is on the wall)and plug it into the receiver I have no picture on the TV. So if I purchase the HDMI cord, do I still leave everything else connected the way it is? The instructions are very vague or not existant regarding the cable box.
Thanks for any help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect home theater with cable box and Sony Bravia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect home theater with cable box and Sony Bravia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Pepe7 / November 29, 2009 2:05 AM PST

You can follow the 'recipe' below to get everything connected properly ;). The video signal from the Comcast box will go directly to the HDTV since the HT component lacks HDMI inputs. The audio output will however connect from the Comcast box to your receiver for surround sound. In summary, you will need two HDMI cables and one digital optical cable. Enjoy!

Comcast box (HDMI out) -> (HDMI in) Sony Bravia HDTV
Comcast box (digital optical out) -> (digital optical in) Sony HDX678WF

Sony HDX678WF (HDMI out) -> (HDMI in) Sony Bravia HDTV

Collapse -
OK, got it to work, the S-AIR surround speakers won't
by HDRockerCgirl / November 29, 2009 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: solution

Thanks for the info. I used the regular cables red, white, yellow. It is functional at this point. I can not get the S-AIR rear (surround) speakers to work. The wireless transceiver says the speakers are linked, yet no sound comes from them only from the the transceiver it self. I even tried pairing it and still nothing. All units are set to the said S-AIR ID (A).

Collapse -
have the right terminology.....
by HDRockerCgirl / November 29, 2009 4:07 AM PST

The DVD player/receiver is transmitting to the S-AIR receiver, I can hear sound from it-dvd, tv, cd. It doesn't seem like the S-AIR receiver is transmitting to the amplifier, which is where the rear surround speakers are connected.

Collapse -
Look here
by Pepe7 / November 29, 2009 6:41 AM PST
Collapse -
thank you...
by HDRockerCgirl / November 29, 2009 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Look here

Yes, I agree, I'd rather have wires, old system did, and are already thru the floor into basement and up the wall ready to connect to the unit. The speakers that are hard wired to the main receiver work fine. The 2 rear for the surround sound are wireless and they are the ones not working. Upon web searching, I found out that WiFi and other wireless components interfere with the S-AIR system. So for me the whole thing is a waste!! I can have a 2 speaker set up anywhere and didn't need an expensive system to do it with!! Not to mention, I can't hard wire any other speakers to the unit because the back of the unit only accepts special speaker wire ends, not raw wires!!! what a waste of time and money! Thanks for your help anyway...

Collapse -
Connection issues
by tmill32 / December 30, 2009 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: solution

I have a question for you. I hooked up a Sony Bravia TV(42") to a Sony DVD Home Theater last night,(sorry, I don't have model #'s in front of me right now) and I could not get the words of people talking on a dvd to come across the speakers. The music came across but the words would not. I connected an HDMI cable to HDMI 1 of TV to HDMI port on the Home Theater. There's only 1 HDMI port on the Home Theater. I also tried a different HDMI port on the TV. Still no luck! Can you help? Oh, also, I even tried connecting a VGA cable (the red, yellow, white cable) along with the HDMI connected. Still no luck.

Collapse -
model #?
by Pepe7 / December 31, 2009 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Connection issues

post that and i can take a stab at it Wink

Collapse -
by dirtrash / May 27, 2011 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Connection issues

My comcast digital box doesnt have a hdmi out...only av cables and coaxial and the sony home theatre have responded to anyof these coming in.
so i hdmi going between my sony theatr and my tv... and i get all the surround for anything from the sony but no sound from the tv to the sony. i even tried hooking up two av cables from audio out on tv to audio in on sony and it didnt respond...unless you have to reboot it while its hooked up.
i think sonys instructions are lacking for sure.

Collapse -
Broken user manual link
by MannyPaq / September 4, 2015 4:09 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.