TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

How to connect HDTV, DVD, HDDVR, and Receiver

by wchirico / December 15, 2008 1:41 AM PST

I would be grateful for advice for hooking up an HDTV, HDDVR cable box, DVD player, and receiver. The HDTV is a Samsung LN40A630; HDDVR cable box is Scientific Altanta Explorer 8300HD, the DVD player is SONY DVP-NS325, the receiver is Onkyo TX SR504. It seems optimal to connect the DVD player to the HDDVR so that the signal can be sent to the HDTV through the HDMI cable. But, I don't see inputs on the HDDVR for the DVD player, just outputs to a VCR for storage. The receiver does not have an apparent HDMI input or outputs. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is the solution to send separate signals from the DVD player to the HDTV via a green/blue/red cable and from the HDDVR cable box to the HDTV via an HDMI cable?

Thanks.

Bill

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect HDTV, DVD, HDDVR, and Receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect HDTV, DVD, HDDVR, and Receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you have it. Try this-
by Pepe7 / December 15, 2008 2:44 AM PST

HDDVR (HDMI out) -> (HDMI in) Samsung LN40A630 HDTV
digital optical/digital coaxial out) -> (digital optical/digital coaxial in) Onkyo TX SR504 Receiver

SONY DVP-NS325 DVD player (Component video out) -> (Component video in) Samsung LN40A630

(digital optical/digital coaxial out) -> (digital optical/digital coaxial in) Okyo TX SR504

The HDDVR won't do pass through from the DVD output, so you have to connect directly to the receiver for audio, and ideally, directly to the HDTV for video via HDMI or component. You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

-Pedro

Collapse -
HDTV Hookup
by wchirico / December 15, 2008 10:24 PM PST

Pedro,

Thanks!

Bill

Collapse -
Direct TV dvr and Yamaha RX-V565
by Cwire / April 4, 2010 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTV Hookup

Greetings, I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V565, a Samsung P1600 Blue ray player and I have a Direct TV HD DVR. I want to run the DVR though the Yamaha. I tried hooking up the DVR via HDMI to the connection on the back of the Receiver but I got no picture or sound. I had to run a HDMI cable from the drv to the TV then an Optical cable from the DVR to the Receiver? Why can't I just run the DVR straight to the Receiver? The Blue Ray works just fine so I'm stumped?
Advice?

Collapse -
You aren't missing anything using that method
by Pepe7 / April 4, 2010 11:27 AM PDT

Since the HD DVR doesn't output any of the newer wideband audio codecs like your blu ray player, you aren't missing anything by connecting the way you are currently. There could be some sort of compatibility issue between the HDMI output from the DVR and the HDMI input on the receiver. YMMV.

If you have a burning need to only use HDMI for your current setup and not digital optical, check out one of the decicated Directv forums like at satelliteguys.us, or perhaps AVS forum.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.