Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to connect computer to tv with sound and picture?

by aznpsycho / March 19, 2010 12:49 PM PDT

Hi, I was thinking of connecting my tv to my computer. My computer has a nvidia 640mb 8800 graphics card. There is no hdmi connector on my graphics card so I bought a hdmi to dvi converter to connect it to my tv. I understand that this will only give my tv picture and not sound. I was wondering if anyone can suggest me anything I can do for me to get sound out of my tv instead of my computer. I am using a creative sound card.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to connect computer to tv with sound and picture?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to connect computer to tv with sound and picture?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
me too
by jancawa55 / March 19, 2010 8:58 PM PDT

I am working on the same thing, hooking up computer to TV. I ordered a minijack to RCA cable for getting sound to my BOSE 321 and using the Aux on it. The cable has not come yet, but I think it will work. If you are just dealing with the TV then it depends on which sound inputs you have on it. Check the outputs on your sound card and then in on TV to see what you need.

Collapse -
This is what we always do
by itzmeuguyz / March 22, 2010 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: me too

Hey, normally what we do is connect a S-Video cable from the TV to the Laptop, this only gives us picture and then for sound, you might have to search around for one but get a RGB cable (the one with the Yellow, Red, and White plugs) and then a Male Headphone Jack on the other side (the plug that goes into like an iPod from the headphones) This gives us both sound and picture. But I'm pretty sure you can still use the HDMI to DVI? Or whatever it is. Just try it and let me know how it goes.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
Connect pc to tv
by BudaPest007 / January 11, 2013 5:37 AM PST

I have got the cable but why isnt it working

Collapse -
how t connect tv to pc with sound
by videobuff42 / March 26, 2010 12:14 PM PDT

for those of youthat have a amd videocard go to his and purchase a hdmi to dvi adapter and you will have sound through your video card, I know I just did it with 4870. For thos with intel video cards you can purchase a 2 wire connector for your card that connect to your mobo and also buy the hdmi adapterwith it but sorry it will only get you stereo. Or you can put out about 75.00 to 500.00 for a new vif=deo card with hami built in

Collapse -
how to connect tv to pc with sound
by videobuff42 / March 26, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

You can purchase a HIS amd adapter for your videocard at newegg for $9.99 plus shipping this will connect almost any Amd videocard to your tv with 7.1 sound. Plus you must download the newest HD sound upgrade from AMD. Its free!

Collapse -
Audio and video connections
by waseca kid / March 26, 2010 12:26 PM PDT

I just connected my laptop to my HDTV. I used a DVI to HDMI cable for video. I used a cable with two male RCA connectors on one end and a 1/8" male stereo connector on the other end. Connect the two RCA connectors to the "audio in" on the TV and the 1/8" plug to the "audio out" on the computer. "Audio in" on the HDTV will probably be a red female and a white female connector.

Collapse -
by john3347 / March 26, 2010 2:21 PM PDT

I have read and read these directions on how to adapt this PC to that TV and thought it was a complicated procedure. It is literally as simple as connecting the computer to the original desktop monitor and speakers. The following assumes that you are using a relatively current model Flat Screen HDTV.

Look on the back of the TV and find the VGA connector and the 1/8" audio hifi connector. These two connectors will probably be within a blue background. Connect your computer VGA output to the TV VGA input (exactly as if the TV were a standard monitor). (This VGA connector is also known as "D-sub" or RGB and may be labeled as such on your TV.) It is the standard 15 pin monitor connector that has been universal on computers for years. Then connect the audio output from your computer to the audio input to the TV (exactly as you would connect to a desktop speaker set). The operation is as simple as connecting the monitor and speakers were on the original computer installation. Cables of whatever length needed can be obtained from electronic supply stores or from online electronic supply houses for reasonable prices. Mine are 25 ft long and routed around the wall.

Once you have these cables routed and connected, pick up the TV remote control, turn the TV on and find "input" button (on the remote control). Select "RGB" from available selections on the input menu. The whole procedure is as simple as connecting these two readily available cables and selecting the proper input mode on the TV. I now watch my 10" netbook on my 42" TV.

It is not the complicated process that some people would have you believe!

Collapse -
you must have a good 1080p lcd to make this worth the effort
by PadraigPH / March 26, 2010 4:00 PM PDT

simple either nvidia card 8800 or above that can put 1080p out
auzentech home theater card comes with a dvi to hdmi cable then a simlpe connection connection to either the TV or high end dennon receiver

Collapse -
Tv sound.
by skeleton80925 / March 28, 2010 9:11 PM PDT

Hello from Holland.

I don't see a problem,it's so easy.
If you have a double scart connection on your TV,you can buy a special
scart connector with a VCR and a white and red connectors to your PC.
The second possibility is to make a wire to your TV,from you PC headphone entrance.
You can do the same,but now to your amplifier and have stereo sound.
Good luck from skeleton80925.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.