Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

How to? Connect 2 PC's without router?

by dable / October 30, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

I have(finally) replaced my Gateway 200Mhz with a Dell 3Ghz. Now my question is I have about 1Gig of stuff I'd like to move over to the Dell but not sure how to. The Gateway does not have a CD burner and the floppy doesn't work, although it does have ethernet and USB capabilities. I have a Motorola SB4200 Cable Modem. Both PC's will connect fine to it, but not at the same time. The Gateway is Windows 98 2nd edition and the Dell is XP SP2. I have no need for a home network and once I get the data I want off the Gateway I will probably give it away or .....? Sooo, is a cheap router the easiest way to do this? Are there any ftp sites where I could upload a couple hundred Mb's at a time to download to the Dell. Can I do USB to USB connection? Any help or suggestion would be much appreciated! Thanks much!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to? Connect 2 PC's without router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to? Connect 2 PC's without router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to? Connect 2 PC's without router?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 12:08 PM PDT

Dable,

Remember that most of the programs will need to be "reinstalled" on the new computer if you're going to use them again. So, if you only have a handful of documents, or small pictures, to transfer, some folks have done it by sending themselves, or a friend e-mail, then retrieving it when the new computer is installed.

On the other hand, if the old computer has large amounts of pictures, or other files, then you might want to network the two computers temporarily so the data can be transferred quickly and easily. Here are a couple of links on how you might choose to do that:

Direct Connection with a "Laplink" Cable

USB LinQ Link Cable Networking

USB Cable Networking : Introduction

If both machines have a network card installed, purchase a CAT5 Cross-over cable and simply connect the two computers through the NIC's.:
Configuring Your Home Network

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by dable / October 30, 2004 2:33 PM PDT

Thank Grif. Lot's of good links here to store. I think I like the last one, "Configuring Your Home Network", but I have just 2 more questions. Yes both PC's have network cards, and if I'm understanding correctly, I can connect them together thru there network cards using a CAT5 Cross-over cable. I'm just curious what the difference is with my current ethernet cable to a cross-over cable? If the explanation is long that's ok, I can ask at the store when I get one. My other question is does it matter which PC is the server or client? Win98 has the files I want to move to MS XP. So make XP the server and Win98 the client? The only other thing I'm wondering is what is my McAfee firewall on the XP going to do when I connect? Thanks again!

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / October 30, 2004 11:06 PM PDT

Dable,

A cross-over cable connects the mouth of the one computer with the ears of the other one, and vice-versa (so it's 'crossed'), while a straight cable connects mouth with mouth and ears with ears, which make conversation impossible.
Read "sender" for "mouth" and "receiver" for "ear" and you've got in in somewhat more technical terms.

You surely can configure your firewall so that it recognises the difference between the Internet and your mini local network, and will allow access to computers that are part of it. And if you can't find out: simply disconnect from Internet (turn off the cable modem or disconnect the cable between it and the PC) and disable the whole firewall.

Hope this helps,

Kees

Collapse -
Dable, Yep, Kees Has Got It...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 31, 2004 2:47 AM PST

The "cross over cable" is your best bet and will transfer files quickly. It's different from a standard ethernet cable simply bacause the connection at one end is reversed so that both computers can send and receive correctly. In addition, If the XP machine is the one that connects to the internet, I would make XP as the server and the Win98 has the client. In regards to the McAfee firewall, I would disable it entirely when you first connect your network. Make sure that your file and printer sharing is enabled and working on both machines, then re-enable the firewall. It's important to KNOW that the connection is correct before bringing in the firewall issue. You then should be able to allow the specific ports that are required to "see" the Windows 98 machine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
A picture says more than 1000 words.
by Kees Bakker / October 31, 2004 4:50 AM PST

Dable,

Say the send is at the upper side of the connection, and the receive at the lower side. Of course, that's the same on all computers, because it's standardised or it would become a chaos.

Then we have (with 1 for computer #1 and 2 for computer #2, and S and R for Send and Receive) something like:

S1 ... ... S2
R1 ... ... R2.

Now connect S1 with S2 and R1 with R2. You'll see a straight cable, and you see also it doesn't communicate at all: nothing is ever received.

Then connect S1 with R2 (messages from #1 to #2) and S2 with R1 (message from #2 to #1) and you'll see a crossover cable.

That's the whole story in newbie-language.

Kees

Collapse -
by Captain Troy / November 4, 2004 8:01 PM PST

I had the same problem and tried the networking bit only to get completely confused and frustrated with the XP tech stuff.

Since you only want to transfer data and not establish a permanent network, do as I did and save yourself the frustration by getting yourself a pendrive (or microdrive).

An average one takes 128MB of data at once - it works like an additional drive and is not that expensive (I paid about A$70 for mine).
You can get bigger for greater expense, but I found the one I am using very satisfactory.

It makes transferring files from one computer to the other easy and effortless and I wish I would have known about them before I started my networking oddyssey Wink

Collapse -
by rhopper / November 4, 2004 8:15 PM PST

Just a thought that is a different approach to solving this problem. Have you thought of taking the old hard drive from the Gateway computer and setting the jumpers on the harddrive to make it a slave. Then install it in the new Dell computer as a second hardrive. This will give you all the data,licences, that are on the old harddrive and additional harddrive storage space. The process isn't all that difficult when it comes to moving the hardware from the old box to the new and it keeps your files in your hands instead of going away to somewhere else with the old computer.

Collapse -
by Chuck / November 4, 2004 8:55 PM PST

The only problem I see with this it the warranty. Most of the time if you open the case and break the seal, the warranty is then void. So take this into consideration.
You could also use a DriveCopy program to copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive then do an update on the new OS. That way, you would have everything that was on your old drive on the new drive and 99% of it working like it always did, but with the new OS.

Collapse -
by McFilmy / November 5, 2004 2:56 PM PST

I agree. That is simply the fastet, cheapest, and most secure (for the data files) way to do it.

Collapse -
by LSWIGER / November 6, 2004 2:52 AM PST

You win the prize for best computer moving data from old to new! I have tried the network route and there are many pitfalls! Now if you can only read that sticker on the hard drive to see how to make it a slave!? Oh and remember the red stripe always goes toward the power cable Happy

Collapse -
by mdillow / November 6, 2004 5:41 AM PST

This is certainly the best, least expensive, fastest, and safest ways to accomplish your goal. The Crossover is a good idea, if you were concerned about breaking the case's seal, but since you're talking a 200Mhz Gateway, the warranty's probably long expired anyway. But the integrity of the data is more likely to be preserved better this way. Not to say that the crossover is a flaky connection by any means, but having both drives in one computer would certainly be faster, and safer.
-Mike

Collapse -
by eatonk / November 4, 2004 10:46 PM PST

Thats easy, and cheap too! All you need is a 6 - 10ft CAT5 RJ48 crossover cable, usually around $15 - 20. This cable is different from the typical/standard CAT5 RJ45 straight thru network cables. You need the crossover. Connect the crossover directly between both NIC's/Ethernet cards on each PC. Enable full File Sharing on both PCs. Bear in mind however, this will only work between WinXP and Win98 only if both HD's are formatted FAT32 - it will NOT work if they are formatted NTFS, the 2 OS'es wont see each other. At this point you should be able to see either hard drives, at which you may want to map a drive - makes it a easier copying files.
Another solution would be to try using a USB memory key, I'd suggest a 256MB or 512MB key. Win98 should see that as another(next available) drive.
Hopefully this helps - good luck

Collapse -
by ludedude25 / November 4, 2004 11:48 PM PST

"Bear in mind however, this will only work between WinXP and Win98 only if both HD's are formatted FAT32 - it will NOT work if they are formatted NTFS, the 2 OS'es wont see each other."

This is not true. Not to be rude but you need to read up on Networking. Networks are based on protocols. You can share regardless of Fat Fat32 or NTFS.

NTFS is just more secure. If you set up your windows 98 computer for file sharing in Network Neighborhoods properties, TCP/IP, and then share the drive without passwords the XP computer will access all the files easily. As for vise versa the windows 98 computer won't see the xp computer unless you set up permissions on the xp computer. Then you would have to log onto 98 with user and password that you set up on xp.

I have a simple 8 port switch with XP,2000 pro, 98,95, 3.11wfw, ms-dos, and Linux computers which can all see and acess files across each other. XP and 2000 are NTFS and linux is a different file structure all together. Sorry I forget the name at the moment. "efh?"

Anyhow it is possible to connect any fat32 or ntfs together it's just fat to fat is "less secure" and easier to connect then fat to ntfs. And accessing a Fat file system without passwords is extremely easy.

Collapse -
by ravensfire / November 5, 2004 1:54 AM PST

Remember to keep in mind in the case of the USB memory key that you'll have to install drivers for it when using it with Windows 98.

Collapse -
I need help transfering info. from xp laptop to a xp desktop
by Rtmeherrera / September 20, 2007 12:46 AM PDT

I have a older sony laptop with xp and I want to transfer all my info to a new desktop. I bought the cat 6 cable and contected the two computers I set up the incoming connection but got stuck there. What do I do next? Help!!!

Collapse -
Did You Check?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2007 8:00 AM PDT

...the other posts in this thread? Such as the one at the link below? They give pretty fair instructions.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=43285&messageID=508741#508741

Of course, if you're only wanting to tranfer a few files from one machine to another, why not use a flash drive?.. It can be done fairly quickly.

And remember, you don't want a standard CAT 5/6 cable, it must be a "crossover" cable which switches the signal between the computers.. After using the crossover cable, you'll need to set up file and printer sharing on each computer, create the EXACT same username and password on both computers, and then share out the directories in question.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by McFilmy / November 5, 2004 3:00 PM PST

Unfortunately, judging from the age of the old computer, the hard drives won't both be formatted the same.

Collapse -
by jmacbeth / November 4, 2004 10:50 PM PST

I read through the responses and thought I would add my 2

Collapse -
by syoumans / November 4, 2004 11:25 PM PST

Dable, all of the posts are really great recommendations. First, a pen drive is a great idea and I've seen them as high as 3 GB, its like having several floppies in one little drive, but make sure you safely remove it from the tray each time you disconnect it from any computer or it's life span will be significantly reduced. Next, you can always take the cover off and add it as the slave. That's another really good idea, and as far as I know, NTFS can read FAT32 files. FAT32 can't read NTFS. The crossover cable is another really good idea. A crossover cable is just reversed. Look at the RJ-45 connecter of your stright through cable. You'll see 8 wires, actually, it's 4 pairs. You have orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown in that order for straight through cables. In other words you have both RJ-45 connecters identical. That kind of cable connects computers to a router or hub and to another computer. Also that's the kind of cable given w/your cable modem. A cross over cable connects a computer to another computer. The lay-out for setting up a cross over is; orange-white to green white, orange to green, green-white to orange-white, blue to blue, blue-white to blue-white, green to orange, brown-white to brown-white and brown to brown. If you know someone that has taken a cisco course then they should be able to build you a cross over cable if you wanted to go that route. Besides, building a 10 foot cross over cable only costs about $.75.
The router or a CD-Burner is also a good option, you can get both of those items for about $30 online. I hope this helps you.
Sean

Collapse -
by Roquie / November 5, 2004 12:39 AM PST

I agree with the Grif and Kees replies. But, it's a really good idea to get a router to act as a hardware firewall (in addition to whatever software firewall you may have on individual computers) -- even if you only have one computer connected to the internet. I've seen the NetGear RP614 for $10 after rebates. A lot of protection for very little money. Plus, you have the ability to plug in additional protected computers if you ever want to.

Collapse -
by pinyonj1 / November 5, 2004 1:20 AM PST

One option is to upload up to 1 GB of data to YouSendIt.com then download it to your new PC. YouSendit is a free service. The files you send will remain there for 7 days before they're deleted automatically, or you can delete them yourself when you're done. There's also an option to send the files using https if you need encryption.

Collapse -
by hpck1969 / November 5, 2004 4:28 AM PST

This is more of a, rinky ****, cheater way of doing it, but when I got my new computer for Christmas last year and needed to transfer files, my old computer, had no networking card, no USB's, no CD burner, and the floppy didn't work, I used Instant Messaging for the job. I hooked one computer up to my computer phone line, and the other to my main phone line, made up another screen name on Yahoo, and transfered them that way. It took awhile...but it was free.

Collapse -
by Mendieta / November 5, 2004 3:45 PM PST

The easiest & Fastest way to do what you want is this one:

Shut down both computers, open them, unmount your old hard drive, mount it on your new computer ***, turn on your new computer, press "DEL" key while botting (or what the manual says to enter setup), make shure your machine recognizes the old drive, press F10 or what the BIOS says to save the new configuration, let windows start, open Explorer and copy folders or files from the old drive to the new one.

*** to physicaly install the old drive on your new machine you can use an unused IDE cable conector or use another IDE cable conected to the motherboard controller (40 pin connector), make shure the red strip on the cable get on "PIN 1" on the drive & IDE controller on the motherboard, if you use an existing cable from the new computer, you must check the jumpers of both drives conected to the same cable, most drives have illustrations showing you where to place jumpers to make each drive a master drive or a slave one, the drive on the middle conector must be salve, the drive on the extreme of the cable must be master.

When you have copied what you want, make shure to shutdown the machine, unplug the old drive, restore original jumper configuration on all drives, restart your computer entering BIOS setup again so the computer knows that the second drive is not more installed, return your old drive to your old machine, close them, and you now have what you want.

Jose Ignacio Mendieta Vera.

Collapse -
by Merlijn / November 5, 2004 4:57 PM PST

The fastest way to do the copying is to mount the drive from the Gateway into the Dell, But if the Dell has SATA for connecting the drives, you can't use this option.
I would go for the cross-over UTP sollution. Might be a little slower than directly connected drives, but you don't have to open the PC's.
Normaly the default settings of the network TCP-IP connection should do the trick. Win 98 and Win XP should both be able to see one another. Besides, in Win XP you have the possibility to create the home network through the wizard and have it create a diskette (if your Dell still has one) to do the settings for you on the Win 98 PC.
Other possibility is, as stated above, through an USB memory key or a USB external drive. But then the costs are higher.

Collapse -
by Tony Reeves / November 5, 2004 8:41 PM PST

You've probably done it by now, but I had exactly the same scenario, and after messing with serial cables (couldn't get it to work), uploading and downloading (works but slow if you are dialup), I found absolutely the best answer is the flash/pen drive. Cheap, takes seconds to do the transfer, and so useful in the future.

Collapse -
by Severian2k / November 5, 2004 11:13 PM PST

If you are comfortable with opening your computer cases, you might be best off just taking the drive out of the gateway, configuring it as "Slave" and connecting it to the Dell on an open IDE connector. Windows XP can see all the data, you can just drag and drop from explorer in XP from the gateway drive to the Dell drive (just the documents, images and music, not the programs). Every other way means having to spend money. You don't have to "install" the drive, just connect it temporarily with the case open long enough to move the data. Another way might be to get yourself a large USB "drive", copy data to it (up to 1GB at a time)

Collapse -
by indiecds / November 6, 2004 1:49 PM PST

Hmmm. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this solution: Go to http://sewelldirect.com/FastLynxHomePage.asp?kid=-609910610&match_type=search

This site provides software and requirements for using it to transfer files from one pc to another. You can even download the free trial version of the software which allows you to transfer up to 10 files or 10MB at a time. It also explains multiple ways of connecting 2 pcs.

Just click on the link for the free trial version or click on "learn more" to uh...well... learn more, I guess!

Collapse -
by boombob / November 6, 2004 6:03 PM PST

I use a product called USB Data Link. It consists of a small software application and a USB cable for the connection. The program and cable work very well.
Go to a large Computer store and ask for a way to link 2 PCs together using USB. To help them, mention USB Data Link. I got mine at CompUSA. Aloha, Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: How to? Connect 2 PC's without router?
by thaman / November 17, 2004 9:33 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.