Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

how to completely delete AOL spyware from the system

by odeo / June 19, 2006 12:14 AM PDT

AOL internet connection comes with my DELL computer. I don't use AOL so I uninstall AOL and all relating AOL software. However this AOL spyware keep poping up & scanning. Any suggestion how to get rid permanently from the computer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to completely delete AOL spyware from the system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to completely delete AOL spyware from the system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Give us a clue......
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 19, 2006 5:01 AM PDT

What AOL spyware?

AOL doesn't usually provide spyware, but it may provide anti-virus and anti-spyware on any systems where the user has subscribed to AOL.

If this is an anti-spyware program running in the background, you can check under the Processes tab of the Task Manager, (right click the Task Bar, select Task Manager), and then use Google to check any process you suspect is AOL.

Then if it is a startup program, you can go to Start > Run, type in ''msconfig'', (without the quotes), click OK, and on the Startup tab, remove the tick for the startup program associated with it.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
by NickMets7 / June 19, 2006 5:36 AM PDT

(1) Find AOL in the START - Programs menu and select UNINSTALL; AND/OR
(2) Add/Remove Programs; AND/OR
(3) Go to Windows Explorer, Select your main hard drive, open its contents, open the folder PROGRAM FILES, and delete the entire AOL folder, or AOD folder; AND/OR
(4) START - SEARCH - type in "AOL" and delete all of the results.

If you do this you're pretty much guranteed to get rid of everything concerning AOL programs.

- Nick

Collapse -
In addition to the previously posted suggestions...
by caktus / June 19, 2006 1:23 PM PDT

Download and install RegCleaner (last freeware version)

Create a System restore point just for safety-sake then open RegCleaner and select the Software tab and place a check mark in the boxes beside AOL related items and left click on the "Remove Selected" buttom in the bottom right corner of the window. If in doubt about an item a Google search can usually clear it up.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
AOL anti spyware
by odeo / June 19, 2006 2:42 PM PDT

Oops my mistake. It's AOL anti spyware

Collapse -
Your advice works
by odeo / June 20, 2006 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: AOL anti spyware

After following all your advices, so far there are no scanning from AOL anti-spyware for last 3 hours and still holding. I really appreciate for helping me .

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you got it worked out.
by caktus / June 20, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Your advice works
Collapse -
Now, check something else:
by Paul C / June 20, 2006 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Your advice works

Click Start/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs. Anything that relates to AOL there may be safely removed (uninstalled).

Collapse -
How do I delete AOL
by mltyson1 / July 9, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

I run on Windows XP

Collapse -
(NT) Check the post of origin date
by tomron / July 9, 2007 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: How do I delete AOL
Collapse -
how to completely delete AOL spyware from the system
by mteagle / February 7, 2013 10:16 AM PST

i wish i had found this link sooner, as i was attached by one of alo's so called (anti companies)and the only way i found too elimiate the problem was too call them as they locked my compuer ,till i did ! got a brow beating sales approuch from somone i could hardly undstand . why does aol put up with this as i will never go back and give them a F for grade on customer service!! and same for the spyware co:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.