Computer Newbies

General discussion

how to clone a hard drive

by rozrob23 / October 8, 2010 9:49 AM PDT

I am next to dumb when talking about computer stuff, but my hard drive is almost completely fulll. I got a ntw one but need to clone it from the old one. I had a 50gb and got a 500. I need to move my programs and what not over. Can someone tell me how to make a clone of my old drive to my new drive so that I don't lose programs and such. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to clone a hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to clone a hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why clone it?
by MDFlax / October 8, 2010 10:49 PM PDT

I'm no expert on cloning so I will offer other solutions.

Use that 500 GB drive just for your data. Move all your personal files, eg photos, videos, music tracks, etc to the larger drive.

Existing Programs will not transfer like that, but many applications will allow you to install them onto 2nd drives, so try that in future installs.

Just keep the 50GB drive for the OS and any software you cannot uninstall and reinstall onto the larger drive and that should be fine.

I have to ask, are you regularly taking backups of those personal files? An Operating System and software can always be reinstalled if anything breaks, but lost personal files are not so easily replaced.

Mark

Collapse -
>>>> how to clone a hard drive
by Rain-Walker / October 9, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

you can use third party software's to do that. like Norton Ghost and HDClone.
i use Norton its very effective.
u can make clone of ur old hard drive even ur system files.

hope it will works.
Best of luck

Collapse -
try ghost
by netguyguy / October 10, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

Norton Ghost should be your best choice, but keep in mind, someone told me Ghost works badly in Win7.

Collapse -
thats right
by warrencharlot / October 10, 2010 4:41 PM PDT

You can also buy a mass storage device that can handle some of your files to be transferred,

Collapse -
The new 500 GB disk should have ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 9, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

come with software that will clone the old disk to the new one. If it didn't you can usually go to the disk manufacturer's web site and download their software at no cost. The help file will explain the process in detail.

If your disk is an unbranded one you can still use free cloning software such as clonezilla (freeware http://www.clonezilla.org/ ) or Macrium Reflect (freeware and the freeware I would recommend http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp ) all of which will also work on branded disks in place of the manufacturer software.

If you have your doubts about using freeware you can also find commercial solutions such as Symantec Ghost or Avanquest Perfect Image or Acronis True Image (the better of these three in my opinion and experience).

It is probably to your benefit to clone to the new drive rather than just using it for data as someone else suggested as it is most likely a faster and more efficient drive and being newer less likely to fail in the near future and a 50 Gb dirve is getting a bit "long in the tooth".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.