TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

How to clean LCD HDTV Screen

by ndfan236-2348608485923434 / January 3, 2011 3:25 AM PST

What is the best way to clean an LCD HDTV screen? Also, what can be used to clean the screen? Thanks in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to clean LCD HDTV Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to clean LCD HDTV Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / January 3, 2011 3:59 AM PST

Dry micro fiber cloth for dust. For hard stuff, distilled water with a micro fiber cloth or monster monitor screen cleaner kit, about $20 but lasts forever. The screen cleaner stuff you just want to use once in a while, if you find your self using it more then once a month go for the distilled water option.
Also wet (just damp it) the cloth NOT the screen because the liquid can run down & work it's way inside the set messing it up.

Collapse -
some clarification
by tiltmonster / January 4, 2011 4:35 PM PST

I was considering this myself without using any harsh chemicals at all. With CRT sets, vinegar worked great; but I can't seem to tell for sure what the screen is made from on LCD/LED. I have a Sony Bravia LED. The manual says something about breaking the glass; but I am thinking there is some plastic involved, over the screen, and anything acidic might be a problem. I have used a soft dry cotton cloth so far. Anyone got any input on what the screens are made from, across brands and design? Water does not really cut finger grease, or ambient smog, such as cooking build up over time. Looks like the Plasma are glass, and the others have some coating. Please fill me/us in. A gentile touch with the soft edge of a penny, was not conclusive for me. Coated glass I am thinking?

Collapse -
Do not use vinegar!!
by givemeaname / January 5, 2011 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: some clarification

It has a pH of 2.4!!!!!!!! You most likely striped the tv's anti-glare coating on your CRT.
Sony has not made tv's with glass panels in 6-7 years when they use to make plasma tv's,

All LCD's use 100% plastic screens, only CRT, Plasma screens & PJ lens are glass.

Get the "Monster screen clean display cleaning kit" $20, works on any type of screen. Any water used, always use "distilled water", no spotting from water hardness, balanced pH & no chemicals used in tap water processing, also makes good drinking water. If needed warm the water up to help brake down some of the harder stuff.

How does a tv get cooking build up on it?

Collapse -
Great response thanks!
by tiltmonster / January 5, 2011 2:37 PM PST
In reply to: Do not use vinegar!!

As old as my CRT(man.95) was, I am not sure glare mattered, but I was not aware that they put a coating on the glass. Great input. Those big Mitsubishi CRT sets were a tank. Likely lasted longer than the glare coating. I will take that advice. Can I get the micro cloth by itself. I don't really want to throw away a bottle of chemical. Gotta be similar to tint on car windows, with the plastic screens. I don't want a purple screen from those Windex users. Thanks for the important specification here; we can all use this knowledge. Warm distilled water and preventative maintenance....sounds good to me.

Collapse -
No to windex or..
by givemeaname / January 5, 2011 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: Great response thanks!

Anything to clean windows, real tin in car windows is baked into the glass.
Only use something made to work on monitors/tv's or the distilled water, the cheapest way + maybe the best over long term. The anti glare coating is very thin on tv's, so thin if you took your finger nail to it "hard" it will leave a mark. My Plasma has a little scratch from my cat attacking a bird on the screen, you can only see from less then a foot away & I have a few small marks on my Sony SXRD RP (plastic screen) TV too, nature shows in HD & a cat do not mix Silly

Yes you can get mirco fiber off eBay, Amazon or a local eye glass place. Eye glass "grade" micro fiber is some of the best. I have anti glare/anti scratch coating on my glasses & do not the smallest of scratches after 3 years, I am very picky about my glasses being clean. It 10x's softer then the micro fiber cloth that came with my tv but it cost about 10x's+ more then a generic micro fiber cloth I got off amazon or was it eBay (?) & 100x's softer then that cloth. I also use eye glass "grade" micro fiber cloth on my DSLR, lens, CCD, filters & telescope it is that soft, so (for me) they have lots of uses besides cleaning just my TV's.

& too clean the cloth after, there are 2 ways, with distilled water (no soap) then let air dry or let it dry 100% then take it outside & give it a good shack.

Collapse -
Great stuff
by tiltmonster / January 5, 2011 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: No to windex or..

Anyone know anything about pressure sensitivity for the screen? How much poking can the screen take; from say a toddler, or pet's nose, or incidental contact when cleaning. Can it recover at all; or will any pressure mark stay forever?

Collapse -
DON'T USE WINDEX IT HAS AMMONIA IN IT !!!
by mkrock / January 7, 2011 2:01 PM PST

I use the Monster kit I got at Best Buy for $10, which included the cleaning solution and the microfiber cloth, on both my LCD TV and my LCD computer moniter. Walmart sells a similar product with both the cloth and cleaning solution for $11.

I only use the cleaning solution and cloth maybe once every 2 months and in between that I use a "clean" Swiffer Duster. I've been doing this for 3 years and have had no scratches what so ever.

I read that one should never use Windex as it has ammonia which can destroy the screen or any product with ammonia, and not to use paper towels, napkins, etc as they are made out of wood products which may feel smooth but can actually scratch screens.

For you fella's that don't dust... a Swiffer Duster is a throw away duster that traps the dust in the fibers of the duster... found in all dept. stores in the area that has the cleaning supplies. Happy

And for my keyboard and all phones, I use Clorox Wet Wipes which disinfect. Studies have shown that keyboards and phones carry a lot of bacteria, so I use the Clorox wipes once a week on these items.

Collapse -
Screen care
by tedtks / January 7, 2011 4:48 PM PST

The micro fiber cloths can be had from ebay for
cleaning camera lenses,
and not expensive - got mine from Hong Kong
2 packs of 500 for less than $10
After cleaning - the first thing I did when I
got my dell 2407 was to go to wal mart and get
a poster picture frame - the cheap ones. just
plastic over cardboard with slide-on edges. cut
the plasic to fit the outer edges of the screen
and a little notch at the lower right corner for the adjustment buttons and used packing tape to hold
it over the screen. been this way a couple years
and has been great. dont forget to remove the plastic film they put on to protect it from scratches. I have slopped drinks that were sure
worry free to wipe off the plastic. if it gets
scratched up - simple replacement. think the pic
frame was $8.
no distortion or reflection problems due to how I
have my monitor set up.
did the same thing with my new vizio 42" last spring.

Collapse -
no chemicals for me
by tiltmonster / January 8, 2011 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Screen care

I can't use any chemicals at all anyway, so not a real option for me anyway; just comparing behaviors. Was looking for anything non-chemical and relatively cheap. Micro cloth, and warm water, seems the only option. Glad the soft cotton I used once already, was clean and soft; will get some of the micro cloth. Thanks! Very important to know.

Collapse -
I USE WATER...
by titifolol / April 16, 2013 9:53 PM PDT

U can go and buy things from various shopping centre's I am sure, I have found for the most part i use a small soft hand brush to get rid of any dust on my TV and it if it looks lik it needs wiping i get a cloth put it under the hot water and wring it out as much as u are able, till it is almost dry then gently clean ur screen with it, I have been using this method for a few years now and never had a problem with it on any of my TV,computer screens etc...and it costs the price of the rag....but don't rub vigorously a gentle wipe will suffice i find...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.