Laptops forum

General discussion

How to clean laptop display?

by roh / September 6, 2005 3:33 AM PDT

How do I properly clean my laptop display??
There are fingerprints on it.
Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to clean laptop display?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to clean laptop display?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by xtuser / September 6, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

Frankly, I just grab a kleenex and rub off my screen after kids touch it and stuff. It works pretty well, but you have to pass over an area many times for the fingerprint to totally disappear.

Collapse -
Pre-moistened wipes, BAAADDDD!
by rjharlan / September 9, 2005 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Staples

The pre-moistened wipes can be VERY bad for your LCD display as they have a tendency to dry out and can scratch the display. I would stick with a soft cloth like the ones that you use on a camera or a shammy (sic?) like the ones you use on your car. And make sure that you use a liquid cleaner that is safe for LCD monitors and such.

Collapse -
Lens cleaner
by Flirkann / September 9, 2005 5:10 PM PDT

good old spectacle lens cleaner. No fogging - not that this is an LCD concern - and an anti-static layer to help with dust.

Collapse -
Premoistend cloths
by broker6000 / August 1, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

I have used the premoistenmd cloths and found them to work really well. Its just a lot easier with the cleaning fluid right on the cloth.

<a href="">Michael</a>

Collapse -
Sound in laptop
by viresh / September 9, 2005 9:50 PM PDT

I often hear sound(click) from my laptop. Whenever, I scan my laptop with anti-virus and adware.The other sound I hear often is when I reboot. I m using Dell 1150 inspiron with windows xp home.

Collapse -
Hard drive
by jmhal / September 13, 2005 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound in laptop

It is probably the hard drive starting up and searching through the files.

Collapse -
RE: Sound in laptop...
by saltwaterlife / June 7, 2009 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound in laptop

If your noise occures when you have system sound "MUTED" it may be an outdated driver. I had the sam issue. Go to

Enter your computer information and find the Audio Drivers for your terminal. Download and install the latest driver and reboot. Your problem should be fixed.

Collapse -
by Qosmio / September 14, 2005 9:25 AM PDT

to clean you screen .(Kensington screen Guardin).
you can get this product at compusa as well as bestbuy or online.80 wipes per container.i use 3 wipes at once on my 17inch well with no harm to your pc

Collapse -
by meatyocre / October 13, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.