Computer Help forum

General discussion

How to clean keyboard?

by ajvaught / February 26, 2006 2:25 PM PST

I have Dell Inspiron 3000 running MS/WXP Pro,IEv6,Firefox 5.0,Spam Blocker Utility, SpyBot S&D, Norton Antivirus 2005.
I also have a kitten that loves to catch my back turned so she can perch on top of keyboard. I know there's hair and fuzz balls inside. What is the best way to clean it out?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to clean keyboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to clean keyboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / February 26, 2006 2:32 PM PST
In reply to: How to clean keyboard?
Collapse -
Re: Keyboard
by ajvaught / February 27, 2006 4:37 PM PST
In reply to: Keyboard

Tom - Thank you for the link to this site. I checked it out and it looks like a 'keeper'. I will definetly be exploring it some more. Again, thank you for your help.
AJ Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx for posting back
by tomron / February 27, 2006 9:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Keyboard
Collapse -
Yup, it works
by armedwithjello / March 3, 2006 4:40 AM PST

My sister used the key removal method to clean a thrift-shop keyboard she bought for a quarter. She then rearranged the letters in Dvorak layout, partly to prove her superior geekiness and partly to deter visitors from checking their e-mail on her computer.

Collapse -
by tjonas / March 23, 2006 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Yup, it works

I take keyboard turn it upside down and tap it lightly on the side, this will get rid off big stuff, then take compressed air can and blow on the key while turn upside down. To complete cleaning proces, you may want to take clean small cloth with rubbing alcohol and go gently over the greased keys.
It works all the time.

Collapse -
Keyboard cleaning
by bradleywhelan / March 13, 2006 11:16 AM PST

wat i did was, get some wet disposable tissue/towel, pluck out all my keys from the keyboard, using the wet disposable tissue, wipe all my keys till sparking again and at the same time use a mini vacuum cleaner to suck out all the particles lying on the bed of my keys. and viola.. sparkling white keys on my yellowish keyboard lol

Collapse -
RE: Moderate cleaning (quick and easy)
by caktus / March 21, 2006 4:25 AM PST

Vacume while brushing with a small paint brush with computer turned off also works great.

Collapse -
Kitten on the Keyboard
by ericinaz / March 26, 2006 1:38 AM PST

It's best to head off the problem before it gets worse. Today's kitten is tomorrow's adult cat. While it's cute and endearing, I know I'd not want my 13# Siamese napping on my keyboard. Get the kitten a Purr Padd & put it into a suitable basket. Position the basket near the PC desk where the kitten can see you at all times. Remember that (good or bad) behaviour learned young is usually permanent. The kitten likely thinks you're its' mother and will readily take cues from you. Teaching your pets just what is yours vs theirs is easy & will head off problems with destructive behavior later. My 10 year old cat still thinks I'm His mother and knows I'm the boss of the household. Never let the pet assume the power position in the home...

As for the keyboard: a simple dusting brush on a vacuum cleaner will get out all the loose fuzz & accumulated donut crumbs. Compressed air will only relocate the debris. Keep the cat off the keyboard & your problems are solved. Otherwise, brush the kitten daily to reduce shedding, and don't even consider using the clothes dryer set on 'Air Fluff' for touch ups on the cat...

Collapse -
Kitten and the Keyboard
by bosston / March 26, 2006 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Kitten on the Keyboard

If you've got Microsoft Outlook to read your email just set a wav file of a barking dog and everytime you recieve a new email maybe the sound of the dog's voice will scare him to get off the computer. Well it was a cute idea...

Collapse -
Can O' Compressed Air
by joesmithers06 / February 26, 2006 9:26 PM PST

They sell them at most office supply stores and places that sell computers. They're usually $3-5/can, which is a bit expensive.

I've also seen USB powered vacuum cleaners for keyboards before. Not sure if it'd be up to the task of loads of cat hair, but after you clear out the collections of hair, it would probably suffice if you were diligent about doing regular cleanings to prevent such collections forming again.

Collapse -
Re: Can O' Compressed Air
by ajvaught / February 27, 2006 4:44 PM PST
In reply to: Can O' Compressed Air

Joe - I wanted to thank you for your post and suggestion. I will check out the compressed air can. I had even wondered about a hair dryer on 'cool' setting?
AJ Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Might not be enough pressure
by tomron / February 27, 2006 10:13 PM PST
Collapse -
Not a good idea
by Rickybee / March 5, 2006 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Can O' Compressed Air

I am always getting asked this and although it would appear an easy way to clean your keyboard I always advise against it. This is because all the air can will do is force all the c%^p into the workings of your keyboard.
Turn it upside down and shake it out, then use a long haired brush, then spray some cleaner onto a cloth and use that.

Collapse -
After cleaning...
by glenn30 / February 26, 2006 10:11 PM PST

Might suggest investment is a plastic keyboard cover... works wonders and prevents liquid spill damage as well. Grin You can find them custom made.

Collapse -
Re: After cleaning
by ajvaught / February 27, 2006 4:29 PM PST
In reply to: After cleaning...

Glenn- Thank you for your suggestion. I will check into one. Appreciate your taking time to comment. AJ Happy

Collapse -
Keyboard Covers
by CrisBurgess / March 24, 2006 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Re: After cleaning

I was also about to suggest a keyboard cover to prevent future problems.
[Actually I've been thinking I should buy one myself too.]

I've had a hard plactic cover that fit snugly of the all of the keys, don't know if you can get it these days.

Of course a clearish vinyl cover that drapes over the sides of the keyboard should be easy to find. They fold up into a small size too.

I wonder why these ''keyboard covers'' aren't as popular as they were twenty years ago, when they used to be everywhere, in racks of different sizes.

Glad my dogs can't sleep on my keyboard!

Good luck!

Collapse -
I did this...
by Willy / February 27, 2006 11:07 PM PST

My cat too attaches itself to items close to the PC. Worse, I have an open case PC in order to test or access componets. The whirling fans and dangling wires is a "must do" for the cat. Oh no!

Anyways, the best advice I can give is to buy a cover for the keybd. sold at real low cost. They are simple plastic covers in most cases. As for kybd. cleaning, turn upside down and burp it or pat it on the backside. This will loosen any collected dust and crumbs, etc.. Further, you can vacuum and do this when the cat is around, maybe it will associate the kybd. and vacuum as "moral enemies" ;). It doesn't hurt to have a good quality kybd. as well they have build-in barriers or shields to lessen foreign entry of the outside world. For safety of mind have a spare kybd. just in case to get that last minute out if push comes to shove due to a bad kybd. mishap. Of course if you access or room enough a closing or sliding tray for a kybd. for your desk/workarea will deny access for your cat as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
For regular keyboards ...cover the keyboard connector and
by VAPCMD / February 28, 2006 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: I did this...

put 'em in the dishwasher. Run the washing cycle without heated drying of course. Once it's finsihed take it out, stand it up where any remaning water will drain and let a fan blow over it for a few hours. Has worked well for me 4 or 5 timre.

Collapse -
Re: Regular Keyboards
by ajvaught / February 28, 2006 12:18 PM PST

I must have neglected to state that I have Dell notebook. I have read up on numerous cleaning tips but they all have to do with desktops where you can at least seperate them to do more in depth cleaning. I can do the air pressure blowing out and wiping down of keys but is this thorough enough to get everything out from underneath the keys? Of course, turning upside down and shaking out of any debris is obvious. Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions. Happy AJ

Collapse -
Oh, OK
by Willy / February 28, 2006 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Regular Keyboards

Well, it would have been nice to know this as a"laptop kybd" it makes narrowing down a solution that much more easier.

The FACT is laptop kybd. are more than just kybd. as real estate is precious on laptop so alot of space is used for other services/devices. If a kybd. is compromised other problem(s) may arise totally different of real system problem. The only real solution is to remove and using electronics rated cleaners, wipe and brush, dap, drip or immerse in liquids designed not to attack or dissolve it. In short, users really can't do much other than blowing out or simple wiping. As for cat hair and such, quick attention is prudent to lessen build-up. Heaven forbid you spill any "sugared liquids" into it. Enuff said...

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Willy you're slipping...he did say Dell Inspiron (LOL)
by VAPCMD / March 1, 2006 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, OK
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Double, it
by Willy / March 1, 2006 11:23 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks anyway Willy No problem
by ajvaught / March 1, 2006 4:37 PM PST
Collapse -
Laptop keyboard
by CrisBurgess / March 24, 2006 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Regular Keyboards

The simple solution for prevention is to close your laptop when you are not using it.

Even when you walk away for a while, you could close the cover most of the way to keep the cat off of it. If he closes the cover it should either hibernate or go to sleep.

Cleaning can be a real pain due to the closeness of the keys.

Collapse -
Dishwasher too corrosive.
by baldwinl / March 3, 2006 7:27 AM PST

Dishwasher detergent is full of chlorine and is therefore very corrosive. I have no problem with aquaeous cleaning of almost any electronics (mind anything that is mechanical though, like a relay unless it is sealed) but I prefer to use liquid dish-washing soap rather than dishwasher detergent. The key is to rinse and let everything dry thoughly. I even used this on a laptop keyboard when my dad spilled cough syrup into it (yech).

It is always best if you can totally disassemble it - this usually means a housing, a circuit board, a rubber sheet full of domes, and the keys themselves (usually held captive by the top cover). Disassembled like this, you can do a better job of cleaning, rinsing and air drying. With assembled cleaning, there is always that danger that water got in some place under pressure that it will take ages to air-dry out of.

Collapse -
Dishwasher (???) too corrosive....
by VAPCMD / March 4, 2006 7:30 AM PST

Don't thinks it'a accurate to say it's the dishwasher and during the process, the keyboards aren't subjected to anything for any extended period of time.

And you're free to use any liquid cleaning desired ... it's worked well for me and thus far no problems, failures or cruddy keyboards.

Collapse -
dishwasher detergent
by maggietoo9 / March 10, 2006 7:43 AM PST

I don't think anybody would recommend putting dishwasher DETERGENT into the dishwasher with the keyboard!!!! Maybe a little vinegar or a TINY bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid with a double rinse. And wait a couple of days if possible before reconnecting it.

Collapse -
C'mon's just a keyboatd that's cluttered with
by VAPCMD / March 10, 2006 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: dishwasher detergent

debri and occasionally something stickey. If it works you're ahead. If not...nothing lost. As indicated I cover the keyboard connector, don't use heated dry, run it through one cycle (not immersed forever), shake the excess water out and stand it up on end in front of a fan to thoroughly dry for a few days. Some of the oldies (keyboards) are far better than the newbies.

Collapse -
by replicatormadness / April 5, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

I've had great success cleaning my keyboard in a dishwasher

Collapse -
by taboma / April 5, 2006 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: dishwasher

Sue, Good for your success. My wife thinks that it work also as long as you do not use any dishwashing detergent.
Sybon/Barnstead cleans electronic boards in pure distilled hot water.
That's why I suggested it.
Thanks for your input.
Sue, How do you dry out your keyboard?
I will bet there are many out there on this forum that thinks we are out of our mind! :

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.