How To forum

How to check if I have an SSD or HDD?

by Magma24 / July 17, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

I have an HP G62 laptop running windows 7 Home Premium, I want to know if there is a reliable way to check if I have a SSD or HDD without having to open the laptop itself to see what's inside it?

I have tried searching the web for such a method but I didn't find one that assures me what type of hard disk I have.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to check if I have an SSD or HDD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to check if I have an SSD or HDD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I could use device manager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

For years it has reported the drive details that I can do more research for it's make and model.

The G62 I see came with a standard HDD. However since I owned one and it has a flawed BIOS I strongly suggest you forget any SSD upgrade.

And take my advice about trying to get HP to correct that flaw. HP had me on the phone for 8 hours as they had me let them control the laptop and finally they took it back to their service center for the last time. It was returned in far worse shape, locking up in minutes.

Further calls were rebuffed with "We've done all we can".

It was my last HP. And to add the last detail. The laptop was 3 months old.

Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / July 18, 2013 1:54 AM PDT

Goto the control panel->system-> and find the "device manager", click on it to give a listing of all devices present. It should list the storage media, as in "model WD" You then check to see what that model# refers to by googling the exact model# provided. Once done it explains the specs of that storage device.

HP website support should offer what the basics of a build are when you check that G62 maybe even the full build of your laptop as in S/N#(maybe).

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Think its HDD
by Magma24 / July 21, 2013 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Look at...

Ok the model I have has a capacity of 285 GB and is wdc wd3200bekt-60v5t1. Looking through google's results the specifications for this hard drive (for the 320-600 GB one, couldn't find one with 285GB capacity) list a rotation speed so I assume it must be HDD and not an SSD right?

@kuberkoos: Yeah I actually do hear those things when it starts up, how different would it be with a SSD?

I was wanting to know whether it was HDD or not because I wanted to defragment my hard drive and I learned this increases wear and tear on SSDs and so I wanted to be sure.

Collapse -
TRIM cmd.
by Willy / July 22, 2013 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Think its HDD

In Vista and latter OSes, this takes care of any SDD based PCs. Otherwise, some s/w may come with your new SDD, review what you get. The TRIM cmd. in effect allows better usage of R/W's across the SDD storage media so it doesn't get hosed due to repeated R/W's to media storage space. No moving parts and is faster in general and can be treated like any other storage media once setup.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re:How to check if I have an SSD or HDD?
by kuberkoos / July 18, 2013 4:02 PM PDT

I was going to say that you have to hold it close to your ear (The good one!), and on starting up you will hear a slight whooosh - that is the cooling fan- and if it contains a HDD, you will also hear a whining sound increasing in pitch.
But looking at the other responses to this question, I realize that my method might not be very scientific.

Collapse -
Actually it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

And don't go to the Moon without a hammer.

Collapse -
by pgc3 / July 19, 2013 5:09 AM PDT

The HP G62 came with a 320 GB is not an SSD, it is a standard 5,400 spin unit...unless you changed it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.