Windows Vista

General discussion

How to check CPU temperature?

by adrian785 / June 23, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

Hey,
I would like to know how can i check the CPU temperature in Vista.Im using Vista Home Basic on my laptop and recently i can feel like it's getting hot faster then it usually does and i would like to monitor the tempearature of my machine so that it don't get overheated of something.Any software that i need to install to be able to check it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to check CPU temperature?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to check CPU temperature?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use Everest...
by John.Wilkinson / June 23, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

There are a number of programs you can use, with Motherboard Monitor making its rounds on the recommendation lists, but I just use Everest since it's already installed. It's primary function is identifying all of the components of your computer and checking their status, but under sensors it can also report CPU, HD, and case temps as well as fan speeds.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I've read about that..
by adrian785 / June 23, 2007 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I use Everest...

Hey,
I've read the reviews on Everest..some people say that it takes up too much resources to run it and need a really powerful machine to be able to run smoothly. Is Everest free for personal use?

Collapse -
No and yes...
by John.Wilkinson / June 23, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I've read about that..
Everest takes very little to run and can operate even on a 10-year-old machine. The only intensive part is if you choose to run the performance benchmarks, at which point it will slow to a crawl for a minute or two, as it would with most benchmark applications. The version I linked to is the Home edition and is freeware, though no longer updated by the authors.

John
Collapse -
I'll give it a try..
by adrian785 / June 23, 2007 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: No and yes...

Hi,
I've decided to give it a try..It will still be OK without updates supports right?Or should i get the ultimate version that i found in download.com?

Collapse -
It's fine...
by John.Wilkinson / June 23, 2007 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a try..
Everest doesn't require updates to work properly...those are mainly to add new functionality and work out minor bugs. The Ultimate version on download.com is a trial only, so for the longterm I suggest the Home version. Both would be adequate for your needs.

John
Collapse -
It's not really that bad..
by adrian785 / June 23, 2007 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: It's fine...

I've just installed and been playing around with it..I'm suprise that it reveals so much info of my machine where I have no idea on how to get those info..It's not really that bad when i run the Benchmark function..I didn't even notice my machine slowing down at all..Thanks for the recommendation John..=)

Collapse -
speedfan
by Islander / June 25, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

Speedfan also works with vista.
It reports various temps, voltages, etc.

Collapse -
I'll keep that in mind.
by adrian785 / June 25, 2007 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: speedfan

Hey,
Thanks for the info. I've already installed Everest on my machine and it's working so far so good. I guess i won't need another program to monitor my temperature for now but i'll definately keep that in mind in case I need it 1 day..=)
Thanks alot ya..

Collapse -
Everest fails
by jabowery / December 4, 2010 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: I use Everest...

The free version of Everest no longer works due to an unsigned driver.

Collapse -
CPU temp
by bowacl / June 25, 2007 11:27 PM PDT

I have been using a program called System Information Tool - SIW
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html it seems to run well and is a non installer so you don't have to install anything to use it. I used it because I thought my laptop was getting to hot, I also use it when I want to see specs on a computer.

Northlite

Collapse -
System Information Tool - SIW
by Mr.Nobody / March 18, 2008 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU temp

I tried System Information Tool - SIW based on the above recommendation and it works well enough on my Lenovo 3000 v100 (which unfortunately runs very hot).

Has anyone else heard/experienced good/bad things with SIW?

Collapse -
It's Worked Here As Well...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

Although I use it very infrequently, it works fine here.. I haven't check it for accuracy though so you might want to verify the temps by checking with other tools such as those recommended in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
SIW very useful indeed
by aa885 / October 2, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU temp

This is a very useful program....Much more than just core temp.

Collapse -
Check CPU temperature....
by choshma / September 5, 2009 3:19 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.