Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How to change the size of a new window opening in IE 7.0

by boblburr / December 10, 2006 12:46 PM PST

I am running XP SP2, my browser is IE 7.0. Whenever a new window opens it is always in the small size and I have to click on the enlarge icon in the upper right hand corner. I would like to be able to have the windows open in full size right away. Can someone help me with what I need to do to accomplish this. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change the size of a new window opening in IE 7.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change the size of a new window opening in IE 7.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try IE New Window Maximizer...
by John.Wilkinson / December 10, 2006 1:42 PM PST

I have not tried it on IE7 yet, but IE New Window Maximizer is a free program that quickly and simply resets the default size of your IE browser window.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks The same problem has been driving me crazy
by najie / December 14, 2006 11:30 PM PST

Thanks so much for the link to IEWindowsMaximizer. This sizing issue has been making me crazy for over a month now. The program works great and it's free. You can use the left Alt button while clicking on links that you don't want to open maximized and I am so glad to have my full window back. Microsoft was no help at all with this problem but, that's to be expected from Microsoft.
Again, Thanks for your suggestion and it does work on IE7

Collapse -
Small window
by boblburr / December 16, 2006 1:13 AM PST

Thanks to all who helped. The IEWindowsMaximizer did the trick

Collapse -
SHORTCUT SIXE
by THOMCAT7777 / May 26, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

HOW TO,, PRESET THE SIZE OF SHORTCUT WINDOWS

RIGHT CLICK INTERNET EXPLORER,, GO TO PROPERTIES,, ON THE RUN LINE,, SET IT TO OPEN IN "NORMAL WINDOW"...

THEN OPEN IE-7 -- SET TO RESTORE DOWN,, = THE MIDDLE OF THE THREE BOXES AT THE TOP RIGHT,, -- THEN,, USING THE MOUSE,, DRAG THE WINDOW TO THE SIZE THAT 'YOU WANT IT TO BE"...

CLOSE IE AND TRY SOME SHORTCUT'S... IT WORK'S ?? GO BACK TO IE PROPERTIE'S,, SET TO "OPEN MAXIMIZED".

Collapse -
Resize , Close, Open
by OBO / December 10, 2006 3:08 PM PST

Try this. Open a single browser session. When the puny session window opens resize it. Do this by "streching it out" your mouse at the corners and midway with the built-in sizer tool. Once you have the shape and size you want. Close it. Now repoen it.

Collapse -
resize IE7 window permenantly
by nitecrawler2 / December 20, 2006 1:21 AM PST

Resize the window as suggested above and then hold down the Ctrl key while closing the window. This can be done with any open window including IE7 or other apps.

Collapse -
Just to add I was having same problem
by elceres4medctr / December 23, 2006 1:36 AM PST

Hello all, haven't tried the Maximizer program yet, but I will after typing this message. This forum is certainly one of the more helpful CNET has overseen.

Collapse -
This is the solution
by Stosh33 / February 25, 2007 1:21 AM PST

Thanks - that is the best solution without having to install another program. I have tried all kinds of things -this works well.

Collapse -
resize IE7 window permenantly
by flatback09 / April 5, 2014 5:05 AM PDT

This works but, it you are using an onscreen keyboard and it doesn't work, use the CTRL key on the physical keyboard.

Collapse -
Same annoying problem
by talktoevan / January 2, 2007 12:31 AM PST

Hi all, I find everything I found here very helpfull. I've installed the IEmaximiser, and seems fine except for the fact that my browser windows still won't resize which is quite annoying.

I've tried all the other tricks to reseize, press CTRL while closing it, etc, but it won't work.

What are the right configs I should be looking for for the IEMaximiser to get it to resize and stay like that next time I open ?

Many thanks, Evan.

Collapse -
Re: Same annoying problem
by Tufenuf / January 2, 2007 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Same annoying problem
Collapse -
At last it's Ok !
by talktoevan / January 2, 2007 11:46 AM PST

Many Thanks for your support.

Happy 2007 !

Collapse -
Thanks for IE Window Maximizer...but
by KChin / February 9, 2007 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: At last it's Ok !

Yes, I too started to have this problem of new windows opening up as minimized and IE Maximizer has fixed this, but no one has addressed the question of "why". I have been using IE 7 for the past month, and this was not happening until this past week. One should not have to download such programs to fix something like this. The fix should be within the program itself...or am I being naive??

thanks

Collapse -
Re: Thanks for IE Window Maximizer...but
by Tufenuf / February 9, 2007 8:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for IE Window Maximizer...but
by KChin / February 10, 2007 10:23 AM PST

thanks for the links Tufenuf...even those suggestions did not work. Those very links, when clicked on, open up into a postage size window. I think I will have to clutter my system tray with yet another application (IE Win Maximizer) until Microsoft comes up with an answer...

Collapse -
RE: Thanks for IE Window Maximizer...but
by fidmas / February 15, 2007 7:40 AM PST

I think they're trying to avoid the window size being set to the size of a random pop-up that happens to get closed last. Anyway, I just had the same kind of problem for a couple days. Nothing worked. The stumbled-on solution is:
- Launch IE7 from the Quick Launch icon or the big Desktop "e". Nowhere else.
- Make sure it's NOT maximized.
- Drag the edges to where you want
- Close IE7.

From now on URL shortcuts will open IE7 at that size.

Confusing as all hell, if you ask me.

Collapse -
RE: It Works...It Works...It Works...
by Eihtball99 / March 3, 2007 8:09 AM PST

Thank you fidmas!!

Your method was the first to actually work. I was hesitant to install the maximizer software, so I tried your tips, and voila. After 3 weeks of irritation, IE7 finally opens my links in a new maximized window.

For those trying this solution, the trick is in fidmas' first step...
Be sure and launch IE7 from Quick Launch or the IE7 desktop icon. That's what was different about this, that actually worked.

Collapse -
Great. :-)
by fidmas / March 3, 2007 8:37 AM PST

Glad to help. It drove me nuts.

Collapse -
Finally something works...
by KChin / March 3, 2007 12:45 PM PST

Fidmas...thanks. This finally worked for me too. I'm now removing the "maximizing" application.

Collapse -
IE7
by Psycho_13 / October 28, 2007 12:43 AM PDT

Thanks!

I have less patience than most - window size annoyed me for about 5 minutes before I had to fight the urge to delete IE and use something different - or go "Gallagher" on my box!

Follwed fidmas instructions carefully and am now feeling better than ANY of my meds make me feel.

Collapse -
Maximizing Links!
by amdtech / July 4, 2008 5:09 AM PDT

After Many attempts this is ther soloution and the WHY'; the desktop "restore button" ( on the top right of the screen )Size is small so all links for some reason comes up in its Size... Pay particular attention to " make sure window Size is not Maximized"
Thanks for Help to this particular Windows IE7 Annoyance!@#$%

Collapse -
Enlarge window size in IE7
by midhumol / February 2, 2009 2:11 PM PST

I am presently using IE7 as web browser. When i click one link the opening window size is too small. How to enlarge the size as default?
Plz help me
prince

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try any of the options suggested in this thread?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 7:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Enlarge window size in IE7
by Tufenuf / February 2, 2009 7:56 PM PST
Collapse -
HOW TO PRESET SHORTCUT WINDOW SIZE
by THOMCAT7777 / May 26, 2009 7:59 AM PDT

IGNORE THE NEW WINDOW MAXIMIZED PROGRAM... YOU DO NOT NEED IT..
FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTION'S...

HOW TO,, PRESET THE SIZE OF SHORTCUT WINDOWS

RIGHT CLICK INTERNET EXPLORER,, GO TO PROPERTIES,, SET TO OPEN IN NORMAL WINDOW...

THEN OPEN IE-7 -- SET TO RESTORE DOWN -- DRAG THE WINDOW SIZE TO WHERE YOU WANT IT...

CLOSE IE AND TRY SOME SHORTCUT'S... IT WORK'S ?? GO BACK TO IE PROPERTIE'S,, SET TO "OPEN MAXIMIZED".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.