Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How to change the read-only directory property?

by Wei725 / October 16, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

I have a directory right under the C driver. I don't know how it is set as read only. I have tried to remove the restriction either through UI, that is un-selecting the check box, and on the commend line with "attribe -r +s <directory>". None of them work although I sign in as the administrator.

How to solve this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change the read-only directory property?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change the read-only directory property?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What folder/directory is that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

Some of them will automatically reapply that read only because of Windows built in defenses (SFP for example.) It's a shame you didn't reveal the folder name or see if your account is one of the owners of that folder or the ROOT folder.

Again, all this is well discussed so I can't duplicate NTFS permissions at length but you do know that a folder is in the folder above it so you must have permission in the folder above this folder to make the change. Some folk have forgotten the NTFS and other basics or are just starting.

I can't tell where you are in your journey.
Bob

Collapse -
by Wei725 / October 16, 2012 8:25 AM PDT

Thanks for your info.

I applied the property change on its parent directory. After "Apply Attribute" running for awhile, the read-only is still there.

After making a comparison of the access right under security of the directory property, I notice the write permission difference between me(me-PC\me) and administrators(me-PC\administrators). I reinstall the whole thing under c:\users\me. The problem is gone since the write permission is the same between me(me-PC\me) and administrators(me-PC\administrators) in the new location.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.