Windows 7 forum

General discussion

How to change start up sound in Windows 7?

by MorrisSouthHound / January 15, 2010 11:36 PM PST

I have a 64 bit OS and I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. In the sound menu of Win 7 you have a choice "Play Windows Start up Sound", check box. If unchecked no Start up Sound. I would rather have my own sound and when I searched the web I found a program which opens up the "dll" file to change the sound, "ResHack". When I tested the sound I wanted to use it played but on rebooting my computer it went back to the Windows 7 default sound. Microsoft really bugs.
I have full "Administrator Rights" and my edit was saved.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change start up sound in Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change start up sound in Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add your own to the folder?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 5:28 AM PST

I can't say I have ever tried this, but if you use Explorer to navigate to C:\Windows\Media, you will see all the Windows sounds in there.

They are all *.wav sounds and while some are quite large, 1800 KB or so, most are in the range of 20 to 200 KB.

If you have a .wav sound file you want to add, and it is not too large, what happens if you place it in that folder? Make sure you give it a unique name so you don't over-write an existing file.

Then you can use the Sound dialog in the Control Panel to select what action you want your sound for, then "Browse" to that sound. In fact it looks like that 'browse' means you don't even have to locate your sound .wav file in that folder, but store it anywhere.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark, I don't think that gets what the O.P. wants.
by Ol Rod / January 16, 2010 10:09 AM PST

I have tried to do just what he wants. I think this "windows startup sound" plays right after the pixie dots, and before you select which user. Then, after you select user or Admin, it plays "Windows Logon". You can change that Logon sound from that menu, and yes, I have drag-n-dropped several of my own .wav sounds into the media folder, but the trick is to control this *one* sound "windows startup". I hope some more people post because I want the same thing that he wants.

Collapse -
Ahh yes.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 9:33 PM PST

You could be right Ol Rod. I may have misunderstood.

Mark

Collapse -
Re:Add Folder
by MorrisSouthHound / January 16, 2010 10:50 PM PST

Microsoft has placed an unique item in its "Operating System", deep into the "System32" folder called "imagares.dll". This folder containes the default start up sound for Windows 7. Even though I found a way to open this with a utility called "ResHack" and change the sound and save it with my "Administrative Rights" it defaults back to original sound when rebooting.
If you have a 64 bit Windows 7 you will know that the only thing (as I know) you can do is uncheck the box "Play Windows Star Up Sound". This is not your "Fathers" OS.

Collapse -
Not my Father's OS?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Add Folder

I'm amazed you knew that.

Mark

Collapse -
Add your own to the folder?
by tiritir / November 19, 2010 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Add Folder

Try to take own the file ^_^ hack hack needed

Collapse -
Is this a question?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 19, 2010 11:08 PM PST

Not sure what you are saying.

Mark

Collapse -
Change Sound - I found this on Google
by Ol Rod / January 18, 2010 9:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Simple solution?
by TeamAnders / October 29, 2012 11:52 PM PDT

fed up with Windows telling me what I can't do, I plonked my choice of wav into the StartUp folder and it comes on right after the Windows sound, which I have switched off.
Don't know why I didn't think of it before

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.