Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How to change language interface in VISTA HOME PREMIUM

by Smrtnik / February 24, 2007 5:18 PM PST

I bought Acer notebook with preinstalled VISTA HOME PREMIUM in Austria, and now language interface is german, and I can not change it in Regional settings.
Is there any way to add english language, or is there english version of Vista that will work with KEY on notebook?

Thanx for any help or advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change language interface in VISTA HOME PREMIUM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change language interface in VISTA HOME PREMIUM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
found this in Windows help
by FpLiOnYkD / February 25, 2007 8:34 AM PST

Change the display language

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files.

Click to open Regional and Language Options.

Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

Note
If you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.

Collapse -
Same problem, laptop notebook purchased in Germany
by rchancellor1 / March 4, 2007 3:19 AM PST

I found a beautiful laptop in Hamburg, Germany with all the latest features. I bought it. It runs Windows Vista Home Premium. I cannot in any way, shape or form get it to show its features in English. Period. All that stuff about going to "Regional and Language Options" does NOT work. Period. Well, it does set the keyboard to actually type correctly. That's all though. By the way, since it is ALL in German, one cannot go to Regional and Language Options because it is not called that on this #$*R&@ screen!!! But yes, I figured out where to go in spite of the language barrier. I selected English, English, English. And I still have everything in German. All Wizards, error messages, icons, screen prompts, menus etc. are in German and nothing I have tried has changed them to English. It's crazy!

Can anyone else help?

Collapse -
Unfortunately no...
by John.Wilkinson / March 5, 2007 4:25 AM PST

For the most part, each copy of Vista comes in one distinct language. (Exceptions, however, do exist, such as in India where there are multiple dominant languages.) If you wish to change the language you must download a Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI). Unfortunately such is only supported by Vista Enterprise and Vista Ultimate, so as a Home Premium user there is nothing you can really do unless you are willing to either upgrade to Ultimate or purchase an English copy.

Es tut mir Leid.
John

Collapse -
a bit more info
by Balin93 / March 5, 2007 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Unfortunately no...

I ran up against this issue with a new laptop using Vista Home Premium. With my desktop computer using Windows XP. I added Spanish as another language (Windows Control Panel), so I could toggle back and forth between two different keyboards. This allows me to easily use accents when I need to. Vista has improved mulitlingual capabilities over XP but as already mentioned, these features are included only with Vista Ultimate or Enterprise. I read that Vista Home Premium has all the languages initially, but when youfirst set up the PC and choose the language you want, Vista automatically deletes all the other language files. So if your machine already has German, I suppose you will have to deal with Microsoft and ask if a fresh install is possible, so you can select English.

Does anyone know of a way I can temporarily redefine a few keys that will allow me to toggle back and forth between the normal keyboard and the redefined one? This would be an adequate workaround for me.

Collapse -
Yes...
by John.Wilkinson / March 6, 2007 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: a bit more info

Just go Control Panel->Clock, language, and Region->Change keyboards or other input methods->Keyboards and Languages->Change Keyboards->Advanced Key Settings. There you can choose the hotkey combination enabling you to switch between multiple keyboard layouts, selected on the General tab.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
it worked!
by Balin93 / March 17, 2007 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

Thanks so much for the suggestion. This allowed me to do exactly what I wanted.....the same as I have on my XP machine, but which I thought was not possible with Vista wihtout buying Ultimate.

Collapse -
a bit
by thirdrockphoto / August 5, 2007 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: a bit more info

"when youfirst set up the PC and choose the language you want,"

I wasn't aware that the installer gives a choice of languages. I think when you buy a computer in Germany, the DVD is in German, no English option. If it were that easy, you could just reinstall and choose English. But you can't. You can only get English if you buy a different Home Edition DVD.

Collapse -
changing vista home premium language
by khaledxl / August 21, 2007 3:41 AM PDT

where can i download those files? and are they supported by Vista home premium? thanks

Collapse -
Similar problem
by zero3son / September 2, 2007 11:38 PM PDT

I also bought a laptop from Japan it's OS is home premium Japanese version. I was thinking of re-installing a home premium english version. But the problem would be the drivers. The PC manufacturer does'nt give drivers or offer downloads to it. It would be nice if someone has link to a English language pack to download.

Collapse -
Just answered at this discussion (link only)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2007 11:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the link for English Language pack
by zero3son / September 4, 2007 9:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) NOTE: License permits Enterprise and Ultimate users only.
by John.Wilkinson / September 5, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
same thing with chinese
by jovanc / August 31, 2008 7:40 PM PDT

Hi guy. i have same problems but only with chinese vista home premium Happy
i tried to change language to english with program called vistalizator, and it works, BUT there is always big BUT with microsoft.
Now i can`t use windows update, or let`s say i can use it but after update my laptop work completly crazy. i can`t open anything in control panel or other windows settings Sad
i`m starting to think the only one solution is left for this problem.
downloading windows vista ultimate from some torrents and install ilegal copy of it.
if some one have other solution please tell us

Collapse -
The legal solution:
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2008 7:46 PM PDT

buy the version of Vista you need. Sorry, but we really can't discuss downloading illegal copies. Locking this thread now.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.