TVs & Home Theaters

Question

How to change language for Plex Media Server on linux?

by suusik / June 16, 2012 3:29 AM PDT

Hello,
I'm using Plex Media Server on my PC running Ubuntu 12.04. It works fine when I stream movie directly from PC to my LG TV. Sometime I stream the same movie to my iPad. And here I noticed the difference. If movie has subtitles or different languages being on iPad client I could select that movie, then select small 'i' icon and it allows me to select another language or modify subtitles. When I watching the same movie on my LG smart TV using Media Link utility it does not have the option to modify those settings. I tried to check it on my Ubuntu server but also didn't find that option?
Could someone please explain me if it could be changed on Ubuntu side and what is the procedure?
thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change language for Plex Media Server on linux?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change language for Plex Media Server on linux?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually DLNA may be an issue here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 3:38 AM PDT

We've seen the issues of limited subtitles and more when folk compare playing on a tablet or PC versus the HDTV.

It appears you are about to learn more about DLNA and its limitations.
Bob

Collapse -
how to change language on linux?
by suusik / June 17, 2012 9:58 AM PDT

well .... I talked to LG Customer Support and they told me that my TV does not have the option to change language of the movie and this option could be only on Plex Media Server side.
Does anyone know how to change it?
Thanks

Collapse -
The method I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2012 5:24 AM PDT

Have the subtitles in the usual external .SRT files. To change, copy the .SRT file to the a file.SRT where the file name is the same as the movie.

Bingo, the subtitle is now the new language.

I fear some are expecting something like we get on a PC. For that, we use a PC.
Bob

Collapse -
external.SRT
by suusik / July 9, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: The method I use.

hi Bob,
I wanted to try your method but failed:
1. when I have a movie file like .avi or .mkv I don't have obviously any external .SRT file
2. when I have a move like BD remux or etc I could locate that file.
Are you referencing only the cases when it's not a single movie file but a collection?
Regards.

Collapse -
1. But you can. Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: external.SRT

2. Sorry I've used the old copy/rename method for years. I'm finding new users adverse to old solutions.

As this works with more than one title, I have to write it works with a collection too.

Sorry but this is on Linux so any MKVTOOLS I see are not there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.