Windows 7

Question

How to change information displayed when I click on a pictur

by Amx1047 / February 27, 2013 12:01 AM PST
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change information displayed when I click on a pictur
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change information displayed when I click on a pictur
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: extension
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Here's how to change photo opening
by wpgwpg / February 27, 2013 12:26 AM PST

Right-click on a photo (e.g. a .JPG file) and point to "Open with...", then click where it says "Choose default program". From there you can select which program you want to have open this type of picture. Right now you have Picture It opening .JPG files, but you could change it to say Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Live Photo Gallery or Windows Media Center, etc.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Amx1047 / February 27, 2013 5:00 AM PST

I appreciate it y'all, but I don't think this is what I'm looking for. I've already tried these things. It's something else....

thanks for your time though, I sincerely appreciate it.

Collapse -
Maybe you could clarify what you're looking for
by wpgwpg / February 27, 2013 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

If you could clarify what you're looking for, I'd be glad to try to help you further. At this point though, it's not at all clear what you might be looking for. If you're looking for something to change the TYPE of a picture from something like PNG to JPG, you could download the free program Irfanview. There are a number of other programs you can buy that will convert file types as well. I use one called Jasc Paint Shop Pro, but it's several years old and I don't know if it's still on the market. Come to think of it, the Paint program in Windows 7 and 8 can do some limited file conversions as well.

Collapse -
Clarification
by Amx1047 / February 27, 2013 11:31 AM PST

I apologize. The screenshots are from different computers. All I'm trying to figure out is ... why does one computer tell me file type and the other one tells me MS Picture It! document? Picture It is the "open with" program on both computers.

I'm used to Picture It, and don't want to change editors. I just want to know why ....

Collapse -
The file type and open with are different things
by wpgwpg / February 28, 2013 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification

There is a table in Windows that relates the file type to the open with program. Depending on how your options are set up you may or may not see the file type in Windows Explorer (aka Computer). This option is set by clicking the Organize button -> Folder and search options -> View tab -> Hide extensions of known file types. If that box is checked, you won't see the file type and vice versa. Once you open the file, you will see the name of the program the table is set up to open this type of file.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.