Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Networking & Wireless

Question

How to change bluetooth device name

by aml25 / March 26, 2012 9:12 AM PDT

Hello, I have a device specific question. I was wondering how/if it would be possible to change an aftermarket device's bluetooth name? For example, this bluetooth dongle. I need to be able to connect multiple bluetooth transmitters to either 1 receiver or an equal amount of receivers without the 'same' devices interfering with each other, and these dongles are the cheapest on the net. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? I'm assuming I'll need to get into it on my computer somehow to change the name.
If this seems impossible, are there any other options out there? I have looked at FM transmission but there is too much static on almost all the stations I try.
Thank you,
Adam

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to change bluetooth device name
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to change bluetooth device name
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
In short, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2012 3:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
hmmm...
by aml25 / September 6, 2014 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: In short, no.

I love when people are rude and arrogant when they clearly misunderstood my question...

"I need to be able to connect multiple bluetooth transmitters to either 1 receiver or an equal amount of receivers"

My question was specifically asked how to change the name of an aftermarket bluetooth device, not how to send more than 1 channel of audio on a BT link. I am able to "wrap my head around" the fact that there is only 1 audio channel (stereo nonetheless).

Thanks for being so helpful.

Quoted from my post:
"I need to be able to connect multiple bluetooth transmitters to either 1 receiver or an equal amount of receivers without the 'same' devices interfering with each other, and these dongles are the cheapest on the net. Does anyone have any experience in doing this?"

That definitely explains what I'm trying to do... Thanks agin.

Collapse -
Yes I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2014 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm...

My background includes Bluetooth programming and hardware design. You call my reply rude but it's deeply entrenched what's stopping you from doing this.

If you want to change how the standard BT system works, just dive in and start reading then coding. Then you'll understand that as presented, you have asked it to do something non-standard.

There are ways to build a network or PAN but I take it that was not acceptable.

I'll listen and see if we can get a clear bead on what exactly you are trying to do but rude? I understand folk that don't get a "Yes, you can do it like this" answer often have bruised feelings and some lash out rather than talk some more. Don't worry, as I wrote code and designed bluetooth hardware I don't mind at all.

Are you sure we can't use some other system? Little data RF transmitters and receivers are now plentiful and cheap. Example at:
http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-433Mhz-Transmitter-Receiver-Arduino/dp/B00M2CUALS/ref=CNET

Now with that on an Arduino or other we can have many transmitters to a single receiver!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.