Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

how to censor words in music files.

by masic88 / August 17, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

that's right. i wanna know how to do Word Masking. i need to know what utilities (free or not) are out there which will enable me to do That.

and i know They exist, because, all of us regularly hear songs in which certain words, or whole Terms, get silenced, while The Music plays on.
so if They get to do It then so should I -- for Personal Enjoyment.

any-and-all help would really be appreciated.

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to censor words in music files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to censor words in music files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you'll be dissapointed
by gopherit912 / August 17, 2006 6:33 AM PDT

I've never heard of any consumer software that could do what you ask. Apart from that I don't think they use software.

Take a song from Disturbed for example, whether you've heard of them or not I don't know. Anyways Their song "Down with the Sickness" has 2 versions, a clean and an unclean version, personally I prefer not to censor my music and just get the unclean version, but my point is they probably re-record the song instead of using software in the studio.

I can't confirm it but as I've said, I have yet to see consumer software, or for that matter, ANY software accomplish the feat you want. Although Perhaps a wave editor (not sure if that is the proper term but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong) could help, I have zero experience with them but you basically have to edit the song yourself. I know some good Macintosh Apps because my Friend has one, but I don't know any good ones for the PC.

Collapse -
How about Audacity?
by danthomson / August 17, 2006 6:48 AM PDT

The bleeped-out version would most likely be done at the recording studio simply by muting the required section of the vocal track while leaving the other (music etc) tracks playing. My guess is that radio stations get both clean and unclean versions (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
You might have some success with Audacity which is freeware. There are many options for editing sound including cutting certain frequencies. You can even edit right down to the wave form level so you do have quite a lot of scope. You can cut and paste which might be one way of ''dubbing over'' the part that you want to get rid of. Download it and have fun.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity
Good luck!
DT

Collapse -
how about Audacity.
by masic88 / August 17, 2006 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: How about Audacity?

i might could give That a try, Mr. Thompson.

i think i might have something, there, in eliminating certain Frequencies..
..although, since you've mentioned it, to me, I do remember now that, more often than Not, vocals are recorded seperately from music -- which would afford the opportunity to bleep whatever might be deemed Offensive while keeping the continuity of the music.. ..continuitous.

:-).

for the meantime, i will wait for more answers..
..but, thanks You, daniel, for giving me Hope.

Collapse -
However, if they simply bleep the vocals, you will have
by Kiddpeat / August 17, 2006 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: how about Audacity.

a perceptible gap in which voices are not heard. That doesn't seem to make sense.

More likely is that the offending section is snipped out, and editting techniques are used to cover the transition. For example, Another audio section might be used to blend or cover the cut. There are also filters which can be applied.

Sony Sound Forge, the full version, would be able to do this.

Collapse -
Song recording methods make this impossible
by james3mg / August 17, 2006 6:56 AM PDT

You're right that it's unlikely there's any third party software capable of this. The closest thing you can do with wave software is to turn off all sound for the half-second you wish to censor.

When studios record CDs, they record each track seperately INTO software - usually several versions of each track, in fact. To produce the CD, they use the software to blend the different tracks together. In the case of a censored song, they will simply silence the singer's track for that half-second. Once it's on the CD however, there's only one 'track' - they've been mixed (disregard stereo and 5.1 sound for this discussion). Trying to take out one track (singer) at that point is like trying to take out some of the baking soda you've mixed into dough - it's pretty tough.

Getting down into the wav file itself COULD do it, but you'd have to do so much adjusting, it'd be almost impossible, and would never sound perfect. As far as I know, there's no way to automate (program)this.

Collapse -
audacity
by nem222 / August 7, 2008 12:26 AM PDT

here is one website it free its is good for macbook or windows xp or vista its called audacity or you sony program

Collapse -
Forget everything thats been said
by mrobzo / August 18, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Audio Editor
by Stan Chambers / August 20, 2006 2:06 AM PDT

Those are some good examples of audio editing software.
I use Goldwave and it does an excellent job. However, I don't see anything in this list that indicates that you can edit vocals after they have been mixed. I've never found a method to accomplish that. You need to have the masters in order to do that. Of course you can delete the objectionable, but your left with a skip in your track.

Collapse -
okay.
by masic88 / August 20, 2006 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio Editor

well, it looks like i would need to mix my favourite artist's edited Accapella-track and Instrumentals-track to get what I want.

i really don't desire having any Skips in my music..
..i also don't want to pop any vessels in trying to figure how to get what I want.

so..
..i will keep monitoring this discussion, for a little while longer, before i come to A Decision.

Collapse -
It IS Possible! :D
by AJ_Productions / May 15, 2013 12:29 PM PDT

Use Virtual DJ there is something called Audio Dumping it is a Censor Feature: In Summary is basically plays the song in a reversed method for the alotted time and then continues on where it should have left off !:D

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.