Windows 7

Resolved Question

how to capture ONLY the active window in windows 7

by morlaine / September 8, 2012 12:26 AM PDT

I used to be able to do this up until about two weeks ago.

I could hold down the Fn key, a large black bar with symbols in it would drop down from the top edge of the screen, I never paid much attention to what was in that, but then I would hit the Prtsc button. Then when I pasted it into Paint, it was ONLY the active window.

Now when I hit the Fn key, the black bar does not drop down and when I hit the Prtsc button the entire screen is copied, not just the active window. I really want this ability back. Any ideas on how to get it to function again? Thanks for your help, morlaine

morlaine has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to capture ONLY the active window in windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to capture ONLY the active window in windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by morlaine

Collapse -
Windows 7 has a snipping tool
by spittsp / September 8, 2012 2:06 PM PDT

Windows 7 has a small program called Snipping Tool it will capture just the active window you select. Look for it in your Start Menu or under Accessories.

Collapse -
by morlaine / September 9, 2012 12:45 AM PDT

That's why I love this forum. I learn something new every time I come here. I did not know about the Snippet tool. Thanks so much for the help. I'll be using it a lot. morlaine

Collapse -
Answer
Try it this way ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 8, 2012 11:07 AM PDT

The PrintScreen key captures the full desktop. Pressing the Alt key AND the PrintScreen key together captures the window that has focus.

Now just paste it into Paint or another graphics app as usual.

Collapse -
by morlaine / September 9, 2012 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Try it this way ...

Actually, I tried holding down the Alt key and hitting the PrintScreen key together and then when I tried to paste it into Paint, I got nothing. It didn't capture anything. Wish it was that easy.

Collapse -
Answer
hold down the Fn key, a large black bar with symbols
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 11:20 AM PDT

That tells me there was some helper app installed that did that and for some reason such as registry cleaners, virus or other, that app is not there.

It's a shame the make, model, and more was not shared as someone may have known what that app was.
Bob

Collapse -
by morlaine / September 9, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655 S5198 running Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1. If you need other info, please let me know.

Collapse -
It could be Toshiba's TVAP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2012 12:53 AM PDT

Go to the support and driver page of Toshiba for your model, then get the TVAP for your model. Uninstall then install the new one.

WHY THIS HAPPENS? I noted a few reasons. Installing a new OS is another one. Too bad you didn't write more.
Bob

Collapse -
by morlaine / September 9, 2012 3:32 AM PDT

I downloaded the TVAP from the Toshiba website as you suggested. Now I can hold down the Fn and the Alt Keys and hit the PrintScreen key and it will copy the active window. It's not what I had before but it's easy and it works and that's what's important. Thanks for your help. morlaine

Collapse -
Another tip
by pawpoint23 / September 9, 2012 8:11 PM PDT

If you have Print Screened your desktop and want to turn a little part of it into a photo shot. crop the part you want, right-click and Copy, open Powerpoint, right-click and paste, right click and Save as Picture. Gives you great control for your documents

Collapse -
Another Tip Question
by morlaine / September 10, 2012 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Another tip

Please educate me. How would that differ from saving it to Paint and then selecting the portion of the screen you want and pasting that into a new Paint screen and saving it as a jpg? I have Powerpoint 2007 so maybe it doesn't have the option to Save as Picture. Thanks for the education, morlaine

Collapse -
Paint comparison
by pawpoint23 / September 11, 2012 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Another Tip Question

When you cut out and paste in Paint, you get a big white border saved around your saved picture. This takes a lot of careful resizing to get a perfect fit.
In Powerpoint only the exact portion of the cut gets saved as a picture making it easier to manage in other applications. I believe Powerpoint 2007 does still have the "Save as Picture" option but it might not be in the Right-Click drop-down menu.

Collapse -
Sounds like YOU ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 11, 2012 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Paint comparison

have the MSPaint image attributes set too large for a new picture.

Set them to something like 300 px wide by 200 px high and when you go to paste an image the 300 x 200 it resizes the attributes to fit the image being pasted into it - no big borders.

Also Powerpoint does not have any "Save as Picture" option I have ever found. It does allow you to save slides as pictures but that is done with the File, Save As dialog where you select the file format of your choice. From the Save as type dropdown, select an image format (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png) and click Save

Collapse -
Sounds like YOU
by morlaine / September 11, 2012 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like YOU ...

I have the Properties in Paint set at 243 x 184. It's about the size of a large postage stamp, so that it will fill out to the size required by the picture.

And I couldn't find any Save as Picture option in Powerpoint but Pawpoint23 said they had it in theirs. It's much easier to just save it in Paint, providing I can get it to copy. Which I have now been able to do.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. morlaine

Collapse -
Only trying to help
by pawpoint23 / September 11, 2012 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like YOU

Ok,
I find it hard to believe that nobody can find the "Save as picture" command, but each to their own.
I was only trying to help.
( You have to paste the picture and then right click on it - I thought it was a great feature nyway, with no mucking around with settings)

Collapse -
Only trying to help
by morlaine / September 12, 2012 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Only trying to help

I did not think to right click on it. I looked for the Save as Picture option in Powerpower options. So this seems to work the same as if you saved it in Paint. Thanks for the suggestion.
morlaine

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.