How To forum

Question

How to call USA from overseas free of cost

by warisrahman / June 20, 2011 11:44 AM PDT

Hi.

I am planning to travel overseas next month and want to avoid expensive phone calls.With all the tech skills around,will i be able to call home free or near free of cost.

WARIS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to call USA from overseas free of cost
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to call USA from overseas free of cost
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Google
by santillanavila / June 20, 2011 1:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
free calls from overseas.
by warisrahman / June 22, 2011 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Google

I plan to visit China and do not want to carry my computer with me.Do you think i can talk free from the hotel to US free of cost through hotel computer. Thanks for your guide.

Waris

Collapse -
Answer
VOIP, calling cards, etc.
by dmitriycnet / June 20, 2011 1:19 PM PDT

Skype-to-Skype is free, Skype-to-Phone Line is reasonably cheap. There are other VOIP programs out there, too. But VOIP costs you in terms of data charges, so you have to be careful as to what kind of data plan you will have overseas.
Since the breakdown of long-distance phone service monopolies about 15 years ago, there are many smaller communication companies catering to specific long distance destinations. They have very affordable price plans. For example, I live in NYC, and call Russia all the time. I use one of these companies which cater to Eastern Europe and Former USSR. The way it works is similar to calling cards -- I dial a local American number, the computer tells me how much money I have on my account (you have to pre-pay) and then I punch in the destination number in Russia. My cell phone company (Verizon) counts this as a local call, and this long distance company charges me 2 cents per minute, which is very cheap, you have to agree! All my Russian destination numbers are programmed into my phone with a PAUSE in the middle, so I do not have to dial 24 digits every time, it only takes me two presses of a button -- first press for the local #, the second press for destination # in Russia. This connection process takes me probably only one second longer than the regular local call. The call quality is 100% perfect, I feel like I talk to people located in the other room. I heard of even cheaper plans, but every call there ether had a connection charge, or quality was not quite up to par, so I'm sticking with my 2 cents per minute, and I'm very happy.
Of course, what I just described concerns calls from the US to some other country, and you are interested in the opposite. But these same smaller communication companies offer very reasonable plans for calls in the other direction. It works the same way -- you pre-pay, and when you are overseas, you dial a given local number, and the computer connects you. So try to find these long distance companies, and inquire what price plans they have for calls into the US from your overseas destination. The company I use is Mastercall Communications, they have great deals for Russia, but I am not sure how they are with other countries, so they may not be the best deal for you. Shop around!
Good luck!

Collapse -
free calls.
by warisrahman / June 22, 2011 7:25 AM PDT

Thanks.But i do not want to travel with my computer.

Collapse -
A computer is not required.
by dmitriycnet / June 22, 2011 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: free calls.

I don't know what kind of phone you have, but I just installed Skype on my Android phone. Until recently, Skype only worked on smartphones through WIFI, but now it also works through 3G. No video on my phone, but sound quality is outstanding. Again, this is only a good solution if you have a cheap/unlimited data plan for your phone.
And most of my original post was about using a phone, no computer needed.

Collapse -
Collect call, maybe?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 7:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
I used Skype.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2011 2:43 AM PDT

Worked very well 98% of the time. Is that good enough?

Collapse -
Answer
have you ever heard the MAGIC JACK?
by jourdanne40 / June 21, 2011 6:46 AM PDT

You can find this at Best Buy or online. This is well worthed for you to check it out Happy !

Collapse -
free call from overseas
by warisrahman / June 22, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

Thanks.But i do not want to carry my own computer.

Waris

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.