TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

How to buy Directv receivers

by jboroman / April 19, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I've just spent an hour searching here and didn't find what I need. So, sorry if it's a redundant question. I'm a Directv subscriber; using the standard Philips receiver and original dish antenna. I'd like to upgrade to TiVO, etc. Can this be done as DYI. From Directv's point of view, it appears I need to pay them $200-$300 for a new dish antenna and a new receiver and installation. Can I buy a 'DIRECTV Plus

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to buy Directv receivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to buy Directv receivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Step by step;
by ahtoi / April 19, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

Do you have HD from directv? How many boxes do you have, and what shape is the disk (round or oval)?

Collapse -
I have two...
by jboroman / April 20, 2008 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Step by step;

...receivers and a round antenna. I don't think my original Philips is considered HD, though HD programs are noticeably better when they are on. Using an HD-capable TV.

Collapse -
As I understand it. Round disk are not for HD.
by ahtoi / April 20, 2008 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I have two...

So I take it that you are not an HD subscriber; therefore the HD receiver won't do you any good. But if you want HD, you need to talk to direcTV. You will probably get all the equipments for free but will also need to commit for 2 more years. That's how it was when I last talk with them.

Collapse -
That's what I'm asking...
by jboroman / April 20, 2008 11:03 PM PDT

...do I need an HD antenna? Can I buy antenna and receiver on ebay and then all I gotta do is subscribe to HD? Is the access card sold with the units on ebay usuable or do I take the access card(s) out of my present receiver(s)?

Collapse -
HD contents from what source?
by ahtoi / April 21, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

DirecTV or over-the-air? Like I said before, don't buy from ebay, talk to directv (the equipments should be free).

Collapse -
antenna?
by bevillan / April 21, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

I assume when you say antenna you are trying to say 'satellite dish'. If so, yes, you need a different dish for HD content. The HD one is bigger and has 3 focal points (or whatever the technical term for them is called).

Collapse -
Yes, I meant 'dish'
by jboroman / April 21, 2008 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: antenna?

I reckon I'll just call Directv then and see whazzup. I just wondered because there's a lot of Directv receivers on ebay; not very many dishes. Thanks for the replies!

Collapse -
By-the-way; are you on a monthly bases now with directv, or
by ahtoi / April 21, 2008 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I meant 'dish'

are you still committed to them. If you are on a monthly bases and if you don't like the deal that they will offer you, then you might maybe consider dish network (or at least talk to them also). Good luck.

Collapse -
Ebay Guides
by jboroman / April 21, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

Under satellite receivers/tivo (sic) at ebay there are some pretty good 'Guide' entries RE buying and installing one's own equip vs leasing from Directv. It seems it can be done, but caveat emptor.

Collapse -
I can only go by what the person told me at directv.
by ahtoi / April 22, 2008 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Ebay Guides

Assumed I buy a box (anywhere), it won't work until it's activated (by directv) and the minute they do that, they want a 2 years commitment from me. that's the same commitment require when you get the equipment from them (and it should be free with the 2 year commitment). The sales rep. is telling me lies or what?

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply...
by jboroman / April 22, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

... ahtoi. I don't doubt you one bit. I started this thread because when I go to my account at Directv, and click to 'upgrade', it appears that I'd be charged $300-$400 for a new dish and receiver (original post). Therefore, why not DYI much cheaper. Yes, I'm way past the original commitment and I'm 'month to month'. I had also thought that I'd call and mention how Comcast is offering me a great deal; and that new DTv subscribers seem to be getting quite a deal...etc etc...and see what they say. If the consensus is that I can get upgraded to HD and DVR (tivo) for free, then I'll definitely give it a try; even with a new 2 yr commitment. I've had great service from DTv so far; except for raising my fees lately. My neighbors have had way more issues with Comcast.

Collapse -
Oh my story is that I never did ...
by ahtoi / April 22, 2008 10:47 AM PDT

upgrade to HD. What happen was when the installer came over to install the equipment, he take one look at the old antenna installation (mounted on a roof tile) and said that was a no no and that I need a new mount for $50 (but I have to cough it up). I told him if directv don't eat it then the deal is off.

Anyway, try to get the best deal you can regardless who it might be. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.