Camcorders forum

how to burn HD video onto DVD with full quality

by lmulion03 / July 28, 2011 10:47 AM PDT

Hello All,

Newbie here. I recently bought a Canon Vixia HFR20 HD camera. I was editing my video on imovie and when I was trying to export to DVD, imovie thumbed down the resolution quality. What programs are available where I can edit and then burn the HD video at full quality onto DVD?

Thanks again!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to burn HD video onto DVD with full quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to burn HD video onto DVD with full quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry but did you try google on this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 11:04 AM PDT

Remember there is NO WAY TO DO THIS for a "Video DVD" since that is 480i or 480p and never more.

This means you have to reveal if you are OK with HD DVD creations that only play on Blu-Ray, PS3, PCs and 360 Xbox's.

The method has been discussed many times but let's hear what restrictions you are working with.

Collapse -
putting to youtube only
by lmulion03 / July 28, 2011 1:24 PM PDT

Ideally, I just want to upload it to Youtube at fully quality. I understand it might not play on my DVD player but mainly just uploading it. I wanted to transfer it to DVD so I could upload on another computer as my comp. is rather slow.

Collapse -
Then put the video file on the DVD as a DATA DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 2:00 PM PDT

Collapse -
by lmulion03 / July 29, 2011 2:03 AM PDT

Thanks. I'm currently editing via imovie but when I try to export, the resolution gets dumbed down and itl ooks horrible! Any programs, free or at a decent price, that I can use to edit and then export?

Collapse -
Links about saving as MP4, other.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: imovie
Collapse -
All versions of iMovie have
by boya84 / July 29, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: imovie

options to create different files with different compression amounts and different levels of video quality.

Collapse -
Burning in High Def
by mcs56 / November 17, 2012 1:32 PM PST

I also have a Canon Vixia HD camcorder.
I also used imovie to edit my video. Was unhappy with the results and called Apple tech support who told me about Toast Titanium. I am able to edit my video in imovie. Than I export (Share) it and choose the highest High Definition resolution and save it to my desktop.

I open Toast Titanium and drag the file over. I than burn it choosing the High Def option.
I burn on a regular DVD- but since it is burned in High Def I can play it on my Blu Ray player. The key is that the contents cannot be over 30 minutes (not enough room on the DVD).

I actually was looking at this site- because I wanted to see if Blu Ray burner have come down in price. Also the price of blu ray disc were expensive last year. I really have content that is over 30 minutes and I am tired of downsizing my video. Hope this helps- I've been using the above process for over a year and enjoying the High Def video results. mcs56

Collapse -
was your imovie import poor quality too
by driz29 / February 24, 2013 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Burning in High Def

Hi mcs56. It seems like you might have a solution I need. I'm wondering if you experienced what I am currently dealing with. Here is my problem. When I import my avchd videos from my vixia m50 into imovie11 there is a significant loss in picture quality. The image is extremely grainy and there are some sort of artifacts or something in the video (the gray in our couch seems more like it is computer generated than fabric). It looks great on the camera, but horrible when viewing it in imovie. Did you have the same issue? And if so, does the quality get better again when you burn in high def using Toast Titanium?

Collapse -
Not the OP, but no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 2:03 AM PST

Why? Because Video DVD is only 480 or standard definition. There are ways to make HD DVDs but as long as you are trying to make a "Video DVD" that plays in common Video DVD players, you will be creating standard definition ratty bad stuff.

Collapse -
Similar Problems
by alnote / June 25, 2013 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Not the OP, but no.

I have had similar problems trying to burn standard DVDs from HD footage imported into imovie from a Canon Vixia HF G20. I actually didn't notice a drop off in quality in i-movie, though it is hard to tell on a computer screen, but when I burned it on a DVD using Toast, there were lots of "artifacts," especially around the edges of objects. Very dissapointing considering I can create better DVD's using my 6 year old Panasonic camcorder than my brand new HD camcorder. I am still experimenting, e.g. will try using the standard recording modes on the Canon and see if it is simply a matter of standard DVDs not being able to handle compressed/converted HD footage. Does anybody out there have any other ideas?

Collapse -
Just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar Problems

Create a high def DVD that plays on a blu ray player. This thread is more than 699 days old..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.