Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How to block a program from being run

by pete_lip / December 6, 2005 11:29 PM PST

I personally dislike I-tunes (please don't flame me for this statement) and have just been informed that my flatmate?s sister is buying her an i-pod for Christmas. I have told her that I will not allow I-tunes to be installed on my pc(the only one she will have access to for copying files). Does anyone know how to block the i-tunes install program from running? She only has user privileges on the pc so she cannot install it from her profile but my profile is not password protected and i would rather not have to type a password in every time I use my pc.
So what i would like to know is can I prevent the I-tunes program from being installed/run on my pc?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to block a program from being run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to block a program from being run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whether you like it...
by Papa Echo / December 6, 2005 11:57 PM PST

...or not, password protect your account. What is wrong with pressing a few keys....at the beginning....if you are going to do that anyway when using your computer ?

Collapse -
It's password or bust
by sun_king_ra / December 7, 2005 3:20 AM PST

Windows doesn't have that kind of security features... No operating system does, that I know of.

Your best defense here is a password. HOWEVER... I have to wonder how your dislike for iTunes factors in here. Just because it's on the system doesn't mean you have to use it. If you don't like it taking over file associations, do the install yourself, and stop it from associating itself with any file types. Then forget the program exists, and let your friend be happy with their new iPod.

Collapse -
Security
by mrkhlp / December 10, 2005 11:02 AM PST

Go to the properties for the ITunes exe click on the security tab and remove the users from the groups and users list all but the admin. If she is just a user the program will not run. But everyone is right you should have a password on your account since your the admin user otherwise they'll just logon as you. This is the whole reason for NTFS you can do file level security. Then for some reason if you wanted to run it as a user level you would right click on the shortcut and click on RUN AS a window will popup and you type in your ID and Password and bingo the program will run for that time.

Hope this helps
Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.