TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How to beat Time Warner Cable

by 10305AlmayoLLC / December 13, 2012 7:31 AM PST

Hey everyone - thanks in advance for your help on this:

Like everyone, I'm trying to save some $$ and am switching most of my TV viewing to Hulu Plus instead of my Time Warner Cable package. I have a Samsung bluray player that connects to the internet, along with a Marantz receiver and an Epson projector. All that stuff works great.

My issue is that I still have the basic channels with TWC and I'd like to have the option to view them, but I don't want to continue to spend $20+ a month to rent their DVR receiver. If I had a normal TV, I'd just plug the coaxial cable from the wall into the back of the TV, but neither my receiver nor my projector have coaxial jacks on them. Sooooo I think I need a coaxial to HDMI converter?? But I'm not sure - and I'm worried that TWC has some kind of proprietary programing in their signal which will prevent me from using a converter I buy on Amazon or whatever.

Any thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to beat Time Warner Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to beat Time Warner Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SiliconDust HDHomeRunPrime
by tumbleweed_biff / December 13, 2012 8:18 AM PST

I have an HD HomeRunPrime, it is great. It is a three channel tuner which works with Windows Media Center. I will do everything your DVR will do and use your computer's HDD to store the shows. The tuners are available to any Windows Media Center/Extender device on your network and you can point any other devices to your computer HDD to view anything recorded. You will need to rent a cable card and some box from TimeWarner to use the cablecard, but that should only cost about $3 a month.

I don't believe TimeWarner does anything proprietary. You should be able to connect a cable ready TV straight to their cable connection, but you need their box in order to view HD or work with any of the onDemand or special features like StartOver and such.

Collapse -
SiliconDust Dual here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 8:28 AM PST

However Comcast was moving to having no clear channels for reasons you can guess. OTA is fine here but I added a rather nice antenna to my SiliconDust Dual.

Collapse -
"How to beat TWC"...
by ahtoi / December 13, 2012 4:49 PM PST

sound funny to me. To view TWC program you still have to subscribe or are you saying the difference in price between the DVR or the Hidef-BOX is $20+? Have you talk to them about what equipment is needed for your programing package? I know if you want to view hi-def channels they will make you rent a box regardless whether you want to or not (I think it's about $11/month) for the box rental. Otherwise any ATSC tuner would do.

Collapse -
Don't forget what Bob mentioned
by Pepe7 / December 13, 2012 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: "How to beat TWC"...

Even many of the non-HD channels maybe be scrambled/encrypted, as is the case more are more of late with the big cable operators. In this regard, 'any' ATSC tuner might not suffice.

Collapse -
You maybe right.
by ahtoi / December 14, 2012 9:41 AM PST

I think TWC in my area has tried in a couple attempts already but did not succeed (lucky me). I think maybe there were too many subscribers complained is my guess.

Collapse -
What happened w/ the FCC
by Pepe7 / December 15, 2012 2:34 PM PST
In reply to: You maybe right.

If I recall correctly, the FCC basically ruled that the cable companies are now allowed to scramble everything, even local channels, and charge for a converter/decrypter box. That said, they also have to 'grandfather' some subscribers for at least two years. In this sense eventually it's likely that there will be some additional cost for box rental for everyone receiving service from a cable operator. YMMV. OTA is not affected luckily.

Collapse -
by 10305AlmayoLLC / December 14, 2012 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: "How to beat TWC"...

Thanks all: ahtoi - I am currently subscribed to TWC on their very, very basic package (just network channels). I don't really care about watching them with any regularity because everything I want to see, I can get on HuluPlus (and don't need a DVR for that). Mainly I just want to have access to those live network channels for occasional news, weather, or in the event of an emergency. And yes, you're right that TWC wants $11/month to rent a normal tuner (without DVR). Which is why I don't want to spend $130/year for channels I will very rarely watch.

I would assume that I could just plug a coax cable straight from the wall into the TV and get SOMETHING...? But since I don't have a TV (I have a projector without a coax jack) I haven't been able to test it. And I think Pepe7 might be right - I just wonder if all the channels are encrypted. Even the non-HD ones.

I was hoping for something cheaper, but isn't this basically what I would need?

Collapse -
Your link to Amazon...
by ahtoi / December 14, 2012 4:42 PM PST
In reply to: Yup

I don't know what that is, but I don't think it's what you need. You need a atsc tuner. I am in the Los Angeles area and TWC signal are not encrypted. I use a couple Toshiba dvd recorder with built-in tuner for my dvr function right now. What kind of input connection does your projector have?

Collapse -
This is why I need help
by 10305AlmayoLLC / December 15, 2012 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Your link to Amazon...

Thank you! See, I would have just gone and ordered the wrong thing.

The projector has an HDMI input. So I'm trying to convert from Coax to HDMI (I think? Right??)

Collapse -
You need something similar to this or...
by ahtoi / December 16, 2012 3:27 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.