Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

How to avoid a new tab in Firefox

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 7:41 PM PDT

Hi all. I've just come across a problem coding HTML in Firefox and I'm not sure how to get round it.

This is for my own web site, not published on the wen anywhere, just on my own computer. I use frames a lot and I have an <a href></a> anchor that I want to open a new window, and not just a new tab.

The html code I have used before is;
{a href="http://forums.cnet.com/7716-5-0.html" target="_blank"}New posts{/a}
{I had to use curly brackets for this forum as the filter took out the half diamond brackets and the url}.
This is to open a new window for Forum real-time activity.

The "_blank" attribute opens in a new tab. The "_top" attribute blanks out the existing page and opens in that page. How can I force a new window instead of using the existing window? It opens a new window in IE7 but I generally use Firefox.

I prefer a new window because I have two monitors and I drag the new window over to the 2nd monitor. I know I can right click the link and select "New window", but I was hoping to automate it.

Many thanks for any help.

Mark

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to avoid a new tab in Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to avoid a new tab in Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Threee ways...
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 5:27 AM PDT

(1) You could either change a setting in firefox to open new windows instead of tabs, but that would apply to EVERY window which is probably not something you're looking for, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

(2) You could hold the SHIFT key and then click the link that has the _blank attribute.

(3) I believe that a javascript could do the trick.

http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jwinopen.htm

This will open a new window (even in FF), you just have to set the width and height, but since the website is only used on your PC, you can set it just according to your monitor.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Perfect the Javascript almost did it for me.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Threee ways...

The Shift+Click works well. I would rather avoid changing Firefox settings.

I was excited by the Javascript prospect but wanted to avoid having a button to click. None of my other CNET links have buttons, just named < a href > tags.

So I tried an amendment,
{ a on Click="window . open(' h t t p://forums.cnet.com/7716-5-0.html?forumID=83','Incoming',
'width=1100,height=750,toolbar=yes,location=yes,directories=yes,status=yes,menubar=yes,
scrollbars=yes,copyhistory=yes,resizable=yes')" }{ b }{ u }Incoming{ /u }{ /b }

Half diamond brackets replaced by curly brackets

I took out the < Form > tag and just used the onClick attribute, and it works just the way I want it.

Excellent Sovereign, many thanks indeed. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Correction. The Javascript did it for me.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 6:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
You sounded just like me
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 6:42 AM PDT

You sounded just like me, because when I get something in my head... I have to make it work just the way I want. I figured you would have enough drive to convert the script/html to your liking Silly

~Sovereign

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, its working fine now.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 8:00 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.