How To forum

General discussion

How to aquire missing drivers for a vista install

by FreeBSDis4me / December 7, 2012 10:53 AM PST

Hello all,

I guess you can say that i'm an up and coming computer geek, meaning im very interested in computer technology just lacking some knowledge. I've taken on a couple simple projects recently and feel really good about helping my friends and family with thier PC's seeing as how i'm the only computer literate person in my circle. However, this new project i'm currently working on has me absolutely stumped. I have my friends Toshiba Satellite L355-S7915 laptop that has apparently caught a virus which completely wiped the windows vista os off of the hard drive. The first thing i did was plug in my trusty ubuntu 12.04 bootable usb and checked the disks partitions. I noticed it didnt have a dev/sda1 where the actual os should have been on. Although it did show the 2nd partition which was for HDD recovery. Next i restarted the laptop and forced it into the recovery mode by holding down the 'zero' key as it powered back up. I then selected 'recovery of factory default software recover to out-of-box state'. Not sure if i should have picked 'erase the hard disc' but was able to recover a big portion of the software anyways. During the recovery process it stopped toward the end and said it could not finish. Can't remember exactly why. When i tried to boot into windows vista the boot manager says that its missing critical system files. I downloaded a vista install iso file and booted that up via usb. When i click repair computer it cant find my os (obviously). When i click install vista it asks for device drivers. I purchased a vista resource dvd online that claimed to solve that issue but when i extract the files from this dvd and add the drivers to my usb, it says cant find drivers. Ive exhausted the internet for a week and cant seem to find an answer as to how to get this computer running vista again. I know how irritating it can be working with newbies so i hope i've given enough info and that im not repeating an already solved threads. Please help me. Im so close to just formatting the hard drive and installing linux for the guy but thats just too easy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to aquire missing drivers for a vista install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to aquire missing drivers for a vista install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Vista install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:39 PM PST

Strange things:
1. An error during recovery from the recovery partition. Try again and this time write down the error in stead of forgetting it.
2. Vista install asking for device drivers. What devices? Never seen such, and I don't know what you mean with "Vista resource DCD that claimed to solve that issue".

I'd see if Toshiba still sells the recovery disks.

Kees

Collapse -
Second that recovery disk purchase suggestion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Vista install

why insist on doing things the hard way when there is a simpler way, or where you trying to impress us?

What did Toshiba say when you contacted them about a recovery disk?
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Recovery-media/m-p/9148#U9148

Have you checked the Toshiba support site for drivers?
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2346352&rpn=PSLD8U&modelFilter=L355-S7915&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

FYI, if this "Virus" destroyed the Windows partition, then Formatting the drive would be the first step in eliminating it.
You know for a fact that the virus is not still there?

P

Collapse -
Not good
by Willy / December 8, 2012 12:40 AM PST

If in fact a virus was the cause for all this, then you need to verify it's gone or not present. Continuing to use the "recovery partition" only made possible it's infection or it was present there to cause yet more problems. You seem to try what you knew but then tell us, you don't know the result of what really got in the way. Basically, you went all over the map and now it's really hosed. The recovery of the PC using the recovery partition should have been saved or cloned in order to have it later(if possible). Next, you don't have recovery discs, thus as already stated to you should be ordered from Toshiba. If none from wares, then you need to start from scratch, Totally, 100% wipe clean the laptop's drive and HOPE it's not a HD problem that was the root of this as in a true h/w fault. Provided you wipe clean the laptop HD and have access to recovery discs, then do a reload. As already stated to you, if drivers become an issue, these are readily available for your model# laptop at Toshiba support website. The requirement of a Vista OS maybe had ordering from such vendors or similar as:

http://www.restoredisks.com

If you want, try Hiren's CD(google it), get and burn it properly to be bootable. It has some virus scanners, etc. and other diags to help resolve some problems or point out what you're dealing with. If you have the .ISO Vista file, that only repairs minor OS issues, not the whole laptop as it were. Maybe that's why it asks for drivers, but even if gotten too much is open and not solved. This is turn leads me to not trust end result until AV scanned and other AV tools.

Of course, if all boils down to a bad HD, you need to replace it and reload the OS as mentioned above. Under all this is Vista isn't found, then MAYBE the end -user would like Win7 installed. Again, all above applies, but Toshiba could still offer Win7 upgrade or Win7 retail from online vendors.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.